New Macbook pro announced with new dimensions

williamcll
1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

The 5500M is by far the most relative graphics performance that Apple has ever put into a MacBook. 

And still outclassed by the 2070 Max Q, which there are offerings ranging from $1500 to $2500, with the low end of the pool going one generation older on the hexacore i7 and skimping out on storage (but still having better cooling, that isn't a high bar to pass).

Combine that with the piss poor game selection on OSX (something Apple isn't making any effort to fix) and craptastic mouse acceleration, still no one should be looking at a Mac for gaming.

Even if they're (stupid enough to) plan on running it through Bootcamp.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Man, having bought a new Macbook 15 inch 2019 just 3 months ago, I am having serious buyers remorse right about now.

I didnt really have a choice, as my old macbook was stolen in a burglary, and I needed to replace it. I couldn't wait for these rumored new 16 inch models...

but it still sucks.. I could try selling it and buying the new one, but I would be losing a lot of money on it, which I don't want to do.

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And still outclassed by the 2070 Max Q, which there are offerings ranging from $1500 to $2500, with the low end of the pool going one generation older on the hexacore i7 and skimping out on storage (but still having better cooling, that isn't a high bar to pass).

Combine that with the piss poor game selection on OSX (something Apple isn't making any effort to fix) and craptastic mouse acceleration, still no one should be looking at a Mac for gaming.

I agree that nobody should buy a mac PURELY for gaming. However, many of us buy a laptop primarily for work, and would like to play the occasional game (like myself).

For those people, dual booting Windows and having the extra graphics power is nice.

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The 16” MBP uses the same CPUs as the previous 2019 15” MBP. Benchmarks show that the new 16” MBP does manage to maintain higher boost clocks. 

Thermals are still redlining because Apple optimizes for silence, but the cooling system has been improved and manual fan control can maximize that cooling upgrade. 

And once it gets filled with dust?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

And once it gets filled with dust?

Unscrew the bottom and blow it out with compressed air? Duh? Like any other laptop. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

If gaming performance is really high on their list of requirements, then truthfully, they shouldn't be looking at MacBooks. For a while now, their hardware has never really been designed with gaming in mind, being designed more towards productivity, specifically coding and creative work. 

Not sure why they'd still look at them but those people would probably be better served by a gaming-oriented Windows laptop as it'd serve their needs more appropriately. 

It's probably due to a common problem you see with many tech fans: that insistence that every piece of tech cater to their exact needs, and everything that doesn't serve them personally is trash.  They want a gaming laptop, and if they can't treat a system as a gaming laptop, it's useless... even if it's better in every other category.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Unscrew the bottom and blow it out with compressed air? Duh? Like any other laptop. 

Not a challenge for you or me.

For the average Apple user?

24 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

This has literally been what users have been doing since laptops have been invented. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's probably due to a common problem you see with many tech fans: that insistence that every piece of tech cater to their exact needs, and everything that doesn't serve them personally is trash.  They want a gaming laptop, and if they can't treat a system as a gaming laptop, it's useless... even if it's better in every other category.

Pretty much and it's not just Apple and tech. Anything that's been touched by the wave of consumerism is gonna get that treatment. 

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

More like the average laptop user. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Pretty much and it's not just Apple and tech. Anything that's been touched by the wave of consumerism is gonna get that treatment. 

You know what? That's actually fair. The only difference is that Apple users will pay for a new device rather than take their device to a real repair shop and get something as simple as a bent pin fixed for free. All because the "Genius" bar tells them that they need a new system board.

For a bent pin. On a ribbon cable. Any other manufacturer would just replace the ribbon cable or the thing it attaches to, under OEM warranty, or extended warranty. If we just bent the pin back it would be a no-charge repair because a part was not consumed.

Source: A news report, and my own experience in bulk laptop repair.

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This has literally been what users have been doing since laptops have been invented. 

I don't know what utopia you are living in, but my experience with the average use is that we are lucky if they don't put whiteout on the screen to get rid of spelling errors.

15 hours ago, maartendc said:

Man, having bought a new Macbook 15 inch 2019 just 3 months ago, I am having serious buyers remorse right about now.

I didnt really have a choice, as my old macbook was stolen in a burglary, and I needed to replace it. I couldn't wait for these rumored new 16 inch models...

but it still sucks.. I could try selling it and buying the new one, but I would be losing a lot of money on it, which I don't want to do.

Mac tends to have hgh resale value, but I guess the early 2019 is gonna lose value a lot, so I think if you have the cash to upgrade then go for it, the keyboard, screen, speakers and GPU are of many reasons why the late 2019 is superior

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

4 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

On the other hand there are people thinking a "gaming" laptop can only be used for gaming, even though plenty of gaming laptops have better specs and have standardized ports without the need for a handful of dongles.

And if we're going for the average laptop user, I wouldn't expect them to have the tools to take apart their macbook or void their warranty because Apple uses soft screws and doesn't want the user to do any basic maintenance.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

On the other hand there are people thinking a "gaming" laptop can only be used for gaming, even though plenty of gaming laptops have better specs and have standardized ports without the need for a handful of dongles.

And if we're going for the average laptop user, I wouldn't expect them to have the tools to take apart their macbook or void their warranty because Apple uses soft screws and doesn't want the user to do any basic maintenance.

The reason I dont buy a 'gaming' laptop, is because I cannot seriously take it to work or a client without looking like a complete idiot. Yes, I know there are recent offerings by MSI and Asus that are more modest looking, but even those have gold accents or red logos. Don't want that.

The only company that makes 'professional looking' gaming laptops is Razer, if you discount the glowing green snake on the back. And Razer laptops are just as expensive as Macbooks, with shitty support and QC to boot.

4 hours ago, maartendc said:

The reason I dont buy a 'gaming' laptop, is because I cannot seriously take it to work or a client without looking like a complete idiot. Yes, I know there are recent offerings by MSI and Asus that are more modest looking, but even those have gold accents or red logos. Don't want that.

The only company that makes 'professional looking' gaming laptops is Razer, if you discount the glowing green snake on the back. And Razer laptops are just as expensive as Macbooks, with shitty support and QC to boot.

Look at the MSI "Prestige" line of laptops. Gaming specs. Modest looks. 

The MSI P65 is exactly that. Résultat de recherche d'images pour "msi p65"

5 hours ago, maartendc said:

I wouldn't expect someone to take a laptop with gaming logos and RGB all over it to work, I was more referring to an unassuming laptop like a Dell XPS, Lenovo Legion, or Gigabyte Aero 15". Razer wouldn't be my first pick even if it looks the most professional, but not like Apple has the best quality control with how many hardware issues they've been having.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:23 AM, maartendc said:

Maybe worth contacting Apple and explaining your concern. If not I'd probably try trade-in in your situation. https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

I wouldn't expect someone to take a laptop with gaming logos and RGB all over it to work, I was more referring to an unassuming laptop like a Dell XPS, Lenovo Legion, or Gigabyte Aero 15". Razer wouldn't be my first pick even if it looks the most professional, but not like Apple has the best quality control with how many hardware issues they've been having.

The XPS wasn't designed with gaming in mind though. The Dell Gx series is but the XPS was designed with design and some degree of productivity in mind 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

You know what? That's actually fair. The only difference is that Apple users will pay for a new device rather than take their device to a real repair shop and get something as simple as a bent pin fixed for free. All because the "Genius" bar tells them that they need a new system board.

I've seen the state of many laptops myself, usually falling victim to heaps of dust and such, and that's on the outside. 

And if we open the cover......good Lord. 

On 11/15/2019 at 3:46 AM, Drak3 said:

Apple solders the NAND directly to the logic board.

So, effectively every single Apple laptop with more than 1 NAND chip is RAID 0. And every other SSD on the planet with multiple NAND chips being managed by a single controller.

Thats... not how that works? That's like arguing every hard drive is in RAID 0 with itself, where each platter is it's own drive! Nonsense

On 11/16/2019 at 11:04 PM, avg123 said:

Why does this thread go on and on about a numpad?

None of the competitors of Macbook Pro have a numpad.

Razer Blade 15, the lenovo X1 Carbon Extreme, the Dell XPS 15, the Surface Laptop 15, none of them have numpads.

Numpads are  not important in this segment of products.

You have to buy a 15 inch gaming laptop to get a numpad

I don't think you can even fit a well sized number pad on the 16" MBP.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:28 PM, D13H4RD said:

It's not like the macOS situation is that much better. Catalina's launch wasn't exactly smooth as many Adobe CC users reported compatibility issues amongst other things. 

The silver lining is that unlike non-Pro Windows, you aren't forced into a new build of the OS whenever it's released, so there's that. 

I still maintain that they shouldn't really be looking at MacBooks if they're serious about gaming on a computer. It just wasn't designed with that in particular mind. It's why I wasn't fazed by the Radeon Pro 5500. Might not be super beefy for gaming but perfectly adequate for Lightroom and Resolve. 

Eh, a lot of the issues with Catalina was that they dropped support for 32 bit application and developers were slow to push out 64bit version.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Just now, Blade of Grass said:

Thats... not how that works?

Yes, it is how that works. SSDs will spread data across the NAND chips and the controller keeps tabs on the basic layout of data distribution. The only difference between a RAID array and a multichip SSD being that the SSD is a self contained unit.

3 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

That's like arguing every hard drive is in RAID 0 with itself, where each platter is it's own drive

Not really. HDDs write onto one platter at a time, and then move on to the next. They don't stripe data across multiple pieces of a storage medium like RAID or SSDs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1. I just found out that the Macbook Pro 16 has a taller screen than the 3:2 aspect ratio Surface Book 15 screen!

55799484_15-inch-3x2-vs-16-inch-16x101.png.87795a0f65fe708b5fe270956cdedf25.png

2. The Macbook Pro 16 is also as wide as a standard 15.6 inch 16:9 aspect ratio screen

436107280_156-inch-16x9-vs-16-inch-16x101.png.6747edc234d66d0fd34e9b8fc6124729.png

3. The Macbook Pro 16 screen is exactly as tall as a 17.3 inch 16:9 aspect ratio screen

1134209190_173-inch-16x9-vs-16-inch-16x101.png.85dce638f452fada40f4f7920a30d466.png

Interesting screen size!

On 11/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, Drak3 said:

A laptop with a 2070 Max Q in it is in a completely different category than the MacBook Pro. You're kind of missing the point of this. This is a device that you purchase because it fits some use case (NOT GAMING) that makes sense for you but then has the potential to play games when you're done with work. 

Also both OSX and Windows 10 have mouse acceleration enabled and can be disabled in both and I'm not sure why you think bootcamp is stupid. Thats like saying running lynx on a windows laptop is stupid. 

Just now, Sorenson said:

You're kind of missing the point of this.

No, I'm not. MacBooks are not great gaming machines, between weaker internals, worse thermals, and the game selection issues that Apple seems happy to compound.

We have the fanboys already conceding that the new machines are still redlining at boost clocks on the CPU. And now, we're moving from the 35W 560X to a 85W 5500M and you're going to tell me that the 5500M is going to get to stretch its legs for a gaming session?

5 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Also both OSX and Windows 10 have mouse acceleration enabled and can be disabled

You can't disable it in OSX, only turn it down somewhat.

5 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I'm not sure why you think bootcamp is stupid.

Because you're paying a premium for OSX, and then paying for Windows on top of that, to have a system that will thermal throttle, restricts eGPU capability, require adapters for any wired peripherals like mice, and either run the GPU at a resolution that it's underpowered for or at a wierd downscale.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, I'm not. MacBooks are not great gaming machines, between weaker internals, worse thermals, and the game selection issues that Apple seems happy to compound.

I never said the MacBook Pro was a great gaming machine. The CPU is pretty much the same thing you get in similar devices, and the thermals are pretty much the same as laptops with comparable form factors unless they are running the 15w version of the i7. Also the "gaming selection issue" isn't apple's fault. There are limited games because most games run on DirectX a Microsoft API. If you want to play these games you just buy an $8 OEM copy of windows 10 and instal it on your Mac. If $8 is going to break your bank you can't really afford a Mac. 

We have the fanboys already conceding that the new machines are still redlining at boost clocks on the CPU. And now, we're moving from the 35W 560X to a 85W 5500M and you're going to tell me that the 5500M is going to get to stretch its legs for a gaming session?

85w is the top range for the 5500m, Apple's will likely run closer to 60w as noted by anandtech (just like nvidia does with their mobile GPUs). As for gaming performance, if you're expecting it to blow you away then you're delusional. Will it be able to play games at 1080p ~60fps Medium-High then yes. Johnathan Morrison already showed it playing Rise of the Tomb raider (a pretty demanding modern title) at I believe 1200p resolution getting around 47-55 FPS at medium settings. Is this fantastic? no. But it is certainly playable, and again, the main point of a MacBook Pro IS NOT GAMING. But imagine you're on a business trip and need a professional laptop. You can have this, and then at night you can bust out some gaming in your off time. 

You can't disable it in OSX, only turn it down somewhat.

How to disable mouse acceleration in OSX.

Because you're paying a premium for OSX, and then paying for Windows on top of that, to have a system that will thermal throttle, restricts eGPU capability, require adapters for any wired peripherals like mice, and either run the GPU at a resolution that it's underpowered for or at a wierd downscale.

The premium you pay for OSX is greatly exaggerated. The comparable XPS 15 sells for an MSRP of $1,950 while the MacBook pro starts at $2,400. Part of the difference in cost will come from better build quality, better speakers, and the better microphone. 

As to your thermal throttling argument, everything thermal throttles. Take the razer blade 17" put an all core stress test on it and it will thermal throttle. This is just a reality of laptops, the issue with the past MacBook pro was that the i9 version throttled below its base clock, which you might forget apple fixed with a firmware patch like a week later. 

Finely, with the scaling, yes you will have to deal with scaled games in Windows 10 on a 4k laptop with similar specs. OSX's scaling is wayyyyy better than windows 10, and I bet you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 1080p content on a MacBook pro display vs. 1080p content on a 1080p display. I regularly play games at 1440p on my 4k TV and the difference between playing the game at 1440p and 4k is hardly noticeable. Scaling gets a bad rap, because most people's only experience with scaling is on early 4k monitors with horrible scalers that made everything look terrible. 

I get that the MacBook pro makes no sense for you which is fine. But, its kind of ridiculous to say that you can't game on an apple device just because that's not its primary purpose. I had the 2011 MacBook pro for my undergrad degree and played everything from dark souls to dragon age inquisition on it. I would have had a better gaming experience if I had a gaming laptop, but everything else from studying in the library to watching netflix on it would have been worse. 

Just now, Sorenson said:

lso the "gaming selection issue" isn't apple's fault. There are limited games because most games run on DirectX a Microsoft API.

With Apple moving away from 32bit and OpenGL, they're at fault for the already slim selection getting cut significantly.

3 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

The premium you pay for OSX is greatly exaggerated. The comparable XPS 15 sells for an MSRP of $1,950 while the MacBook pro starts at $2,400.

The comparable XPS15 also demands a premium for the form factor. A comparable Dell Inspiron Gaming laptop costs $1600. And no, the """build quality""" of a MacBook doesn't justify the premium. External fitment is pretty average, and internal design (largely the CPU+GPU combination with the thermal solution) is subpar.

16 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

As to your thermal throttling argument, everything thermal throttles.

No, thin and lights with internals too hot for their chassis and cooling solutions thermal throttle. The MacBook being a consistant offender.

Whereas the Dell Inspiron won't thermal throttle. Nor would most gaming laptops.

17 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I get that the MacBook pro makes no sense for you which is fine.

Baseless and incorrect assumption. I use a '17 MBP 15, partially for work and partially for a portable machine that mixes well with iDevices.

19 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

its kind of ridiculous to say that you can't game on an apple device just because that's not its primary purpose.

No, it's not. There are no considerations for gaming made with the MacBook Pro. I say this from experience of gaming on my MBP. It's a challenge I quite enjoy, but there is no practicality in trying it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.