New Macbook pro announced with new dimensions

williamcll
4 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

If you’re worried use paypal like i do

Windows 10 will NEVER touch another one of my computers EVER. Is a pile of shit of an OS. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

39 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That doesn't seem bad, actually.

If it had better I/O and Function keys, I might actually consider it.

It would a better laptop if the RAM and SSD weren't soldered in,and the keyboard weren't riveted to the chassis.

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

A Laptop would come with a OEM copy of WIndows already activated. 

Its people who build systems like me that have to pay for a copy. OR find an alternate OS like Linux. 

I was referring to buying an expensive Macbook, yet refusing to pay for Windows.

12 hours ago, Commodus said:

Marques Brownlee posted his review:

He calls it the best laptop Apple has ever made -- that's a pretty bold claim.  Yeah, there's no SD card slot (he brings this up), but otherwise it touches all the bases.  Only reason it's not his dream laptop is because he'd like a smaller model.  I'm with him... if Apple could make a 14-inch MBP with a higher-res screen, the fixed keyboard, a larger battery and better cooling... well, I'm set.

Marques is not an unbiased source of news for Apple products.  He values his access to Apple executives far too much to be critical.

Also, he's way too young to know the -actual- best Apple laptop of all time, which is the Pismo PowerBook G3 from 2000.

59 minutes ago, warrenr said:

Also, he's way too young to know the -actual- best Apple laptop of all time, which is the Pismo PowerBook G3 from 2000.

Ok boomer 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ok boomer 

Well...they didn't have the plague of design flaws found in newer+far more expensive machines...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well...they didn't have the plague of design flaws found in newer+far more expensive machines...

There has never been a single laptop made that didn’t have issues. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don't deflect by saying "but others". Comparing older Macbooks to current ones, especially the G3. Far more flaws while being more expensive than the G3. And indeed more expensive than competitors that cost the same and less (without the flaws).
New Mackbook Pro may fix some of those problems (eg. thermals, bad key switches) so we'll have to wait and see. But until it is on shelves world wide, the Powerbook G3 is still the best.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Congrats, you payed full retail for an OS microsoft give away for free or at a deep discount to everyone else.

I got the free upgrade on my old computer, they are no longer giving it away free.  so congrats for what?

5 hours ago, Sorenson said:

These are OEM copies of windows, meaning one time use. The site gets them at a deep discount because they are not reusable and then flips them for a profit. this is not the same as buying a steam code off ebay from some shady guy that got 5k review copies. Microsoft is still paid for the software. If you want to waste your money on a full retail price of windows go ahead. however, i would rather spend the money on the computer. You’re making claims that you aren’t backing up with any experience or evidence. Also, since i’m a teacher, I can get a full retail copy of windows 10 for $10 usd. Lastly, you payed $110 for an operating system that fully intends to take your data and profit from it and preload your computer with bloatware that it makes money off of.

Windows OEM license is a license MS grants to system builders.  You can buy them from authorized resellers, but they are licensed only for sale with hardware. That is why they are specifically called an Original Equipment Manufacturer license.  Buying just the keys is not legitimate.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Im not sure you can find any laptops with more raw I/O. 

Do you use the Function keys (F1 through to F16..) as function keys or are you talking about media keys? 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is the most typical response.    It happens every time we point out something that is messed up with apple,  the fanboys scream about everything else having issues.  The conversation was comparing old macbooks to new  macbooks, not the rest of the market.  The rest of the market has no bearing on the quality (or more accurately the lack there of) of newer macbooks.

You can point to some no name laptop that turns into a ball of fire after the second use, but that does not change the fact that macbooks of late have been really shit compared to earlier models.   Earlier models didn't throttle below base due to insufficient cooling, earlier models didn't have key switch issues,  earlier apple in general didn't have problems because they made their products so well that they could run their warranty and repair departments honestly and have it only be a good thing.   Nowadays they are charging for yesteryear's product quality but providing acer grade products, running their service departments like Mexican drug lords and being as anti consumer as you can get by making it as hard as possible for people to fix their own damn gear.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ok boomer 

Don't be too much of a fucking coward to respond with something useful.

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Earlier models didn't throttle below base due to insufficient cooling, earlier models didn't have key switch issues,  earlier apple in general didn't have problems because they made their products so well that they could run their warranty and repair departments honestly and have it only be a good thing. 

My god you’re ignorant. 

8 hours ago, hishnash said:

Im not sure you can find any laptops with more raw I/O. 

Do you use the Function keys (F1 through to F16..) as function keys or are you talking about media keys? 

ThinkPads.

I use them as Function keys.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That doesn't seem bad, actually.

I can understand the I/O to a degree.  SD card reader, maybe... HDMI or USB-A?  It's 2019, no.  But what about the function keys?  Is it the Touch Bar, or something you don't like about Apple's general keyboard layout?  (I would note that you can force the Touch Bar to behave more like a conventional keyboard if you like.)

42 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I can understand the I/O to a degree.  SD card reader, maybe... HDMI or USB-A?  It's 2019, no.  But what about the function keys?  Is it the Touch Bar, or something you don't like about Apple's general keyboard layout?  (I would note that you can force the Touch Bar to behave more like a conventional keyboard if you like.)

I like to not use dongles as much as possible. Having only TB3 forces me to use a dongle for everything that isn't a USB-C connection.

I think the Touchbar is useful, but I'd rather have that and Function keys instead of one or the other. But if I had to choose between the two, I would take the Function keys.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

12 hours ago, warrenr said:

Marques is not an unbiased source of news for Apple products.  He values his access to Apple executives far too much to be critical.

Oh, give that crap a rest.  You know full well he levels serious criticisms at Apple products (it's even visible in the 16-inch MBP review).  He criticizes Apple's choices of I/O, for example; he criticizes the audio quality, lack of controls and battery life on the AirPods Pro; he even criticizes Apple's overuse of "Pro."  Apple doesn't insist on largely positive coverage to provide access, not these days at least; what it wants are creators with large followings that it thinks won't irrationally dump on an Apple product due to flaws or ideological reasons.

So a review pointing out the lack of an SD card slot, the high pricing, the non-expandable memory/storage?  That's fine.  What Apple doesn't want is outlets that whinge about OS decisions that come down to personal preference, or treating hardware choices like they're political dramas.  There's a difference between a nuanced review and using your review as a soapbox.

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I like to not use dongles as much as possible. Having only TB3 forces me to use a dongle for everything that isn't a USB-C connection.

I think the Touchbar is useful, but I'd rather have that and Function keys instead of one or the other. But if I had to choose between the two, I would take the Function keys.

Dongle life is a bit of a pain, I'll agree, but I do like the universality of Thunderbolt 3...you can at least get a multi-port hub.

I don't think there's much point to a "Touch Bar and function keys" combo on a Mac.  The F1-F12 keys rarely get any use on macOS, so it defaults to the screen/media/OS controls... and those are already available on the Touch Bar.  And if you do need the F# keys, there's a Fn key to bring them up.

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

TB3 forces me to use a dongle for everything that isn't a USB-C connection.

What isn’t USB-C these days that people actually use on a daily basis? 

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What isn’t USB-C these days that people actually use on a daily basis? 

Most of my peripherals.

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Most of my peripherals.

You could buy more modern ones. Or ones that have a removable cable. 

MacBook owners rarely have a separate keyboard and are probably more likely to use wireless keyboards/mice anyway. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You could buy more modern ones. Or ones that have a removable cable. 

MacBook owners rarely have a separate keyboard and are probably more likely to use wireless keyboards/mice anyway. 

You're not an electronics engineer are you? ;)

14 hours ago, warrenr said:

I don't trust other reviewers either that have a bias for Apple products, people getting a $3,000+ laptop for free are going to have a ton of praise for it anyway.

41 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

You're not an electronics engineer are you? ;)

Most engineers/designers make the peripherals work with what is standardized, and USB-C compatibility is a huge mess.

But I didn't know the usual Logitech mouse isn't "modern" because it doesn't have type-C.

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

My god you’re ignorant. 

Another typical response from someone who can't show otherwise.  

38 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't trust other reviewers either that have a bias for Apple products, people getting a $3,000+ laptop for free are going to have a ton of praise for it anyway.

One of the biggest myths is that YouTubers and other reviewers get products from Apple or other major brands for free... they don't.  They get a loaner for a few weeks (at most) and have to give it back.  You know those disclaimers Michael Fisher (Mr. Mobile) puts at the end of every video these days about how it's a loaner unit, and how the manufacturer didn't influence or see the review before publishing?  That's true for reviews at nearly every site.

Besides, if forums are anything to go by, you should be wary of someone who's reviewing after paying with their own money.  Part of why you get ridiculous fan wars is that people feel an intense need to justify their purchases -- they think the PS4 is the best console ever because they can't justify buying a second system, for instance.  There are certainly legions of Anything But Apple types who rag on the company's latest products even though it's patently obvious they haven't used Apple gear in years (if ever).

That and I think it's wildly unrealistic to expect reviewers to spend their own money every time they want to review something.  Yeah, someone who's already established could theoretically buy everything they review.  But what are you supposed to do if you're an up-and-comer?  Go into debt?  Resign yourself to reviewing three or four items per year?  Loaners are what make some of these reviews available in the first place.

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Another typical response from someone who can't show otherwise.  

Louis Rossmann. 

There were no glory days for Mac hardware reliability.