How long do you keep your phone?

Founders

how long do you keep your phone?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you upgrade your phone?

• I replace my phone every year.
    • I replace my phone every 2 years.
    • I replace my phone every 3 years.
    • I replace my phone every 4 years.
    • I replace my phone only after it breaks.

I tend to keep my phone for 3 years. I keep it long enough to get my money's worth but not so long that it slows down to a crawl coping with more demanding tasks. The phone usually has enough residual value to trade in towards a new phone to help offset some of the cost of the upgrade. The new phone always brings significant gains in performance and features, something those that upgrade more frequently may not appreciate as much. So, how often do you go for an upgrade?

2 years. i always buy mid/low range phones so they tend to slow down a lot faster. my current phone costs like $120

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Until I can't tolerate it.

Which, for Android phones, is a year at most.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

until my phone breaks or is too slow or the battery is buggered

5 years sometimes 8 years

i buy cheap phones, my last phone was a $150 brand new phone, prepaid from Telus, but I put it on Rogers instead.

previous phones were used iphones 4 and one was suppose to be a 4 but the guy sent out a 5 instead, batteries are toast.

Depends on what deal are available.

Im really tempted to go from a note 9 to a iphone 11. i only owe $300 on the note 9 in monthly payments and my carrier is willing to give $500in trade in credits. My phone is fine but im still tempted.

I only change my phone when I have money to buy a new one. My current one is a Pocophone F1 which I got last September 2018. Before that I had a Lenovo (forgot the model) phone that I kept for 3 years. The only reason why I bought the Pocophone was because my Lenovo got stolen. 

Right now, I'm in no rush to buy a new phone since my Pocophone is quite adequate for daily use.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

Depends on the circumstances. I had my XS Max for a year and a half because I got a killer deal on my 11 Pro Max I have now. (Paid $183 for it out the door)

Prior to that I had a Note 8, which I got rid of on the exact day my 2y contract ran out, I began to hate that thing as the software experience was so bad by the time I got rid of it. Prior to that I had a slide phone which I kept for 3 years because I couldn't afford a new phone sooner

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

10 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Almost 12 years and it works so I plan to keep it until it breaks, if it breaks

So just for calls and the occasion text I'm guessing?

4 minutes ago, SenKa said:

Depends on the circumstances. I had my XS Max for a year and a half because I got a killer deal on my 11 Pro Max I have now. (Paid $183 for it out the door)

Prior to that I had a Note 8, which I got rid of on the exact day my 2y contract ran out, I began to hate that thing as the software experience was so bad by the time I got rid of it. Prior to that I had a slide phone which I kept for 3 years because I couldn't afford a new phone sooner

How the hell did you pull that off, did it fall off the back of a truck? ?

1 minute ago, Ehmc130 said:

So just for calls and the occasion text I'm guessing?

How the hell did you pull that off, did it fall off the back of a truck? ?

Nope, brand new! Part of my work involves collecting phones that people would otherwise throw away, and I live ~30 minutes outside of a fairly well off area. Whole bunch of free or near-free iPhone 6s' later, + my XS Max which was gifted to me.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

Some years ago when there was actual progress with consecutive models of a line I used to upgrade every year with the new model, but nowadays I tend to switch brands and it's "whenever I find something that interests me", aka not that often.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, SenKa said:

Nope, brand new! Part of my work involves collecting phones that people would otherwise throw away, and I live ~30 minutes outside of a fairly well off area. Whole bunch of free or near-free iPhone 6s' later, + my XS Max which was gifted to me.

Good for you, enjoy!

Just now, Ehmc130 said:

Good for you, enjoy!

One thing that kind of annoyed me, Apple dropped the trade in price of an XS Max from $120 to 100 the day BEFORE I managed to free up time to show up...

Loving my 11 Pro Max, though I have experienced the seemingly common gouged glass issue that Linus mentioned in his review. I am in talks with Apple's engineers about fixing it.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

I get a new phone every year.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i had my last 2 phones for about 2 years each. intend to keep my current phone for 2 years as well, maybe longer since apple is pretty good at support 

Until it’s more expensive to repair than to replace, or until it can’t receive security updates.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

44 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

I tend to keep my phone for 3 years. I keep it long enough to get my money's worth but not so long that it slows down to a crawl coping with more demanding tasks. The phone usually has enough residual value to trade in towards a new phone to help offset some of the cost of the upgrade. The new phone always brings significant gains in performance and features, something those that upgrade more frequently may not appreciate as much. So, how often do you go for an upgrade?

Let's see, I have actual dates for when I replaced my phones:

199x, let's be honest, I didn't own a cell phone. I had access to a startac.

The first phone that was actuallly "mine" was a Motorola T193. It was rubbish, circa 2001, 1900Mhz-only band and the coverage was rubbish.

I bought a Nokia from a co-worker ... I have no idea, I never had the original faceplate. That lasted me while I worked at the cell phone call center, and then I replaced it with a Nokia 6200 when EDGE was new... from apparently a former customer via ebay roughly 2003.

That lasted until 2007 when Nokia N95's came out. 

That got retired in 2015 when I got the iPhone 6S, which then died in 2018 when updated to iOS 12 and quit charging and Apple won't repair it because the AppleCare just ended.

That was replaced with the XS, and I tell ya, if it dies just outside of AppleCare I'm done with smartphones.

All the Nokia's I unlocked or came unlocked. I have NEVER bought a mobile phone from a wireless carrier. 

I also wouldn't recommend changing/switching phones until 5G has been completely rolled out. I make my purchase decisions along technology changes

So the T193 to the Nokia went from single-band to triband. That one was replaced with an EDGE device, and the N95(NAM-3) was a UMTS device. The iPad (2012) was the first LTE device I bought, and the iPhone was purchased mainly because it was capable of doing 4K video and could replace all the gear I normally travel with.

Usually keep a phone untill the battery is so bad that I feel I need one, or that it breaks, usually the battery thing happen first. The last two phones I have had about 3 ish years, so that's what I voted.

If you ask why I then don't just replace the battery, thats because I buy midrange phones, aka 500€ max (my current one was 400€, and it's good), and then it's just usually not worth it. And it at that point usually have lots of scratches and stuff and at least on my previous phone, I started fighting with the storage space getting filled up.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I've had my Nexus 5(technically my mom's but whatever), it works for what i need it to.

before i got it, my mom/me replaced the "non-replaceable" battery

i'd just change it when it either breaks or i can't use it for my use case. which takes a long time to do

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I always buy upper mid range Apple so 4 years at least.

My iPhone 7 and my wife’s XR perform pretty much identical so that convinced me to keep the 7 for another year.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

My current phone is 3 years old and I have little to no reason to upgrade. I would if I played games or took pictures on my phone.. But I don't.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Usually around 3-6 months, I get bored pretty fast so I'm constantly swapping it out to see what I like best. In the last year I've gone from note 9 -> iPhone Xs -> note 9 -> S10 -> iPhone Xs Max -> OnePlus 7t Pro. I am aiming to keep the oneplus for around a year before switching to the iPhone 12 Pro Max or whatever it ends up being called.

3-4 years or until it breaks. But I'm thinking on getting a new phone because I don't receive any new updates and haven't for about 1½ year and... It's Huawei. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Usually i get a new phone every 2 years. seeing as my subscription ends and i can start a new one. Usually this isnt a problem. But because i have a foreign passport and they changed the rules here, i cant get a new one right now. And i'm trying to figure out how to do it otherwise. (Ofcourse buying a phone would work. But thats a bit troublesome for me.)