Gaming Laptop Recommendations

Let me go ahead and preface this by saying I already have my desktop rig completely built so we can avoid the "Buy a cheaper laptop and build a desktop" situation.

Secondly, I'm less buying this and more having a friend replace something he broke so I am trying to get a similar value/same laptop as what I have.

Okay now with that all out of the way, a very rotund friend of mine accidentally sat on my gaming laptop when we were on a road trip. This has left me in need of a new gaming laptop for both on the move gaming and Uni work. I was using a slightly older Origin 17 S and I had hoped to replace it with the newer model. However, I recently found out that the current 17 S units are just Tonfang(I think that is how it is spelled) rebrands. This is the same OEM that Walmart uses and that instantly threw Origin out the window for me. I am currently looking at ether the ROG Zephyrus S GX701 or the Razer Blade Pro 17. My budget is 2800ish as that was the original msrp of my laptop that was flattened. I wanted to reach out and get opinion and perhaps alternate recommendations for a mobile platform from you guys at OC3D.

Avoid Razer if you want something that work with half decent customer service!

I suggest you one of the below:

- Alienware m15 (Had this laptop a while back from HIDevolution and bought it with their upgraded thermals, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads, with that upgrade which reduces temps by 15C, the laptop performed like a champ and never overheated, plus I got the 90WHr version so it had superb battery life, and power, all in a very portable and sturdy little package)

- MSI GS65

- ASUS Zephyrus

EVOC P70TM-R (That's a Clevo model, HIDevolution is a PREMA Partner and that guy named PREMA is a BIOS wizard who creates custom BIOS for most Clevo laptops that unlock all the potential of the laptop giving you more options for overclocking, undervolting, disabling certain drives from the BIOS instead of having to physically remove the drive which is recommended when installing Windows for example to prevent Windows from placing the boot files on your second drive, etc.

Prema BIOS Benefits:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
  • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
  • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
  • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
  • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
  • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
  • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
  • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
  • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
  • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
  • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
  • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
  • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
  • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

If you email donald@hidevolution.com , you might be able to get a small discount. He's the salesman I dealt with when I ordered my laptops and what I like about him is that he never tries to over-sell you on anything just to make a bigger sale but treats you like a friend and gives genuine advice. He even saved me a few bucks sometimes when I chose upgrades that I didn't necessarily need. 

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

The Asus isnt bad. 

HID is a solid place to buy as they check every device works as intended and modify them with improvements. 

There is also the Acer Triton 500 though.

On 11/16/2019 at 12:50 PM, Wellingtonzed said:

There is also the MAG-15. MAG-15 is actually a better option. 

On 11/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, Super Spartan said:

- Alienware m15 (Had this laptop a while back from HIDevolution and bought it with their upgraded thermals, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads, with that upgrade which reduces temps by 15C, the laptop performed like a champ and never overheated, plus I got the 90WHr version so it had superb battery life, and power, all in a very portable and sturdy little package)

- MSI GS65

- ASUS Zephyrus

EVOC P70TM-R (That's a Clevo model, HIDevolution is a PREMA Partner and that guy named PREMA is a BIOS wizard who creates custom BIOS for most Clevo laptops that unlock all the potential of the laptop giving you more options for overclocking, undervolting, disabling certain drives from the BIOS instead of having to physically remove the drive which is recommended when installing Windows for example to prevent Windows from placing the boot files on your second drive, etc.

Prema BIOS Benefits:

• Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
  • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
  • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
  • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
  • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
  • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
  • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
  • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
  • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

If you email donald@hidevolution.com , you might be able to get a small discount. He's the salesman I dealt with when I ordered my laptops and what I like about him is that he never tries to over-sell you on anything just to make a bigger sale but treats you like a friend and gives genuine advice. He even saved me a few bucks sometimes when I chose upgrades that I didn't necessarily need. 

On 11/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, Wellingtonzed said:

The Asus isnt bad. 

HID is a solid place to buy as they check every device works as intended and modify them with improvements. 

Damn, some of these are nice but I am pretty stuck on a 17.3 form factor personally. I wish the MAG came in 17 because that one looks awesome. I might have a chat with the people at HID to see if there is kind of a good well rounded system for what I am shooting for. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 11:32 AM, Wellingtonzed said:

why are you set on 17 inches?

It is simply the form factor I prefer. :) 

On 11/22/2019 at 5:36 AM, TheZmajCap said:

Damn, some of these are nice but I am pretty stuck on a 17.3 form factor personally. I wish the MAG came in 17 because that one looks awesome. I might have a chat with the people at HID to see if there is kind of a good well rounded system for what I am shooting for. 

On 11/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, Super Spartan said:

- MSI GS65

- ASUS Zephyrus

Prema BIOS Benefits:

On 11/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, Wellingtonzed said:

The Asus isnt bad. 

I was actually looking at the Lenovo Legion Y740. Its price right now seems really, really hard to beat! Dont suppose you guys know anything about it?

Its the industry standard. Its a great laptop that a lot of people buy. Incredibly popular. Solid performer and thermals. By all means if you think the price is right, get it.