Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zeniv

[CHALLENGE!] Linus I challenge you to build a PC without using any parts made in china.

1 minute ago, Zeniv said:

Like the headline says. I challenge you to produce a PC made with no chinese manufactured parts at all. 

I'll challenge you to give a good reason to bother.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I'll challenge you to give a good reason to bother.

I would love to know if it can even be done. Where would you source the parts?? It would be a hell of an accomplishment.

Just now, Epimetheus said:

Challegne

lol I thought about keeping it thx

What if the parts are made in Hong Kong and not in mainland? There is no reason to become political in a tech forums/Tech Channel. Most electonical parts are made in china so this would be almost impossible as even the smallest capacitors could be made in china thus even if you find X motherboard they might use a Chinese component. 

2 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

What if the parts are made in Hong Kong and not in mainland? There is no reason to become political in a tech forums/Tech Channel. Most electonical parts are made in china so this would be almost impossible as even the smallest capacitors could be made in china thus even if you find X motherboard they might use a Chinese component. 

I would be interested to know what could be created. Many items are made elsewhere but they may not be top of the line. I know that there are a lot of eastern european manufactures and Korea still makes some components. In America they still have vendors for all american made components for the military. It may not be the best there ever was but it would be crazy interesting to see a computer without china.

Both Intel and AMD processors have parts or assembly in China. So we are now out of the Common processor companies. So we must find a Processor that isn't manufactured in China and find a board that also has 0 parts made in china. and so on....That is more a political video then trying to make computer technology content for someone to watch. instead find a company X that coincidentally doesnt have a major trade with China and see if they make some cool computer related hardware. Have LTT review/talk about that product.

30 minutes ago, Zeniv said:

Like the headline says. I challenge you to produce a PC made with no chinese manufactured parts at all. 

Most hardware from the big companies (ASUS,  Gigabytes, etc.) are made in Taiwan. So how is that a challenge?

Unless you mean the component that each hardware manufacture uses to make the part in question they use don't come from China, then no that is not possible. Not that there isn't... but rather costs to much for any company to do. It would be limited to select components like capacitors. That is beside the CPU

9 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Both Intel and AMD processors have parts or assembly in China. So we are now out of the Common processor companies. So we must find a Processor that isn't manufactured in China and find a board that also has 0 parts made in china. and so on....That is more a political video then trying to make computer technology content for someone to watch. instead find a company X that coincidentally doesnt have a major trade with China and see if they make some cool computer related hardware. Have LTT review/talk about that product.

So we aren't quite as lost as you think here. I use to collect mainframes (the wife made me stop and get rid of them. dark times) but the I and E series chips aren't made in China. While they are RISC chips they are stupid fast RISC chips and it may be possible to turn a I or E 5+ into a gaming PC well a linux one at least. Many companies in the US still make processors they just are CISC processors.

Please clarify, do you by "no parts made in China" mean having absolutely zero components in the system (down to ICs) made in China or having assembly of the components done outside of China?

The second one may actually be possible.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I'd watch that. Also, I've got a >30 year old computer from East Germany. Pretty sure nothing in there was made in China, but who knows. It's kind of broken, though. Can't decide whether to fix it or to use it as a case for a modern PC (Linux). Form factor is pretty close to a smaller VCR.

I'd much rather they put that effort into another Scrapyard Wars 😛

33 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Everything is made in China, this is impossible.

Well, not if you consider Taiwan independent..

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

Please clarify, do you by "no parts made in China" mean having absolutely zero components in the system (down to ICs) made in China or having assembly of the components done outside of China?

The second one may actually be possible.

So I would adjust fire on the challenge to find out what absolutely cannot be sourced from outside China.

Ideal  = Build a complete system where all parts are not manufactured in china and do not use chinese parts - this included Case and all components of the PC as well as all Inputs and Outputs  

If a component cannot be made without parts from china state why or what cannot be sourced - Even if a 100% no Chinese parts PC cannot be made it would be very interesting to find out what it is that can only be sourced from China.

Expected outcome - a full PC that can run a modern operating system and at least play games on steam. I would say those games would not even have to be fully 3d. 

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'd much rather they put that effort into another Scrapyard Wars 😛

Well, not if you consider Taiwan independent..

china is are soul

Antares ITNOS - CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5G || GPU: MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z || MB: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X || MEM: 32GB (4x8) HyperX Predator 3600 OC 

Storage: 240GB SATA 860 Evo Boot - 500GB SATA 850 Evo + 500GB m.2 MX500 + 525GB m.2 MX300 Games - 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Media 

Case: Fractal Define R6 Black/White+TG side panel || PSU: Corsair RM850x (LTT Folding Month Cablemod Cables) || Cooling: Fractal Kelvin S36 360mm Front Mounted 

Lighting: LED striplights removed, lit from MB/GPU RGB || Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB || Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum

Fans: 3x EK Vardar F3 120 Radiator - 3x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed Top/Rear Exhaust || Displays: Samsung 32" 4K 60Hz + Acer 21" 1080p 60Hz

Tempest - CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4.8G || GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio || MB: Asus Z97 PRO Gamer || MEM: 32GB (4x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 OC

Storage: 240GB SATA Adata SU800 Boot - 500GB m.2 WD Blue SSD + 240GB SATA Kingston A400 Games - 2TB 7200RPM Media

Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout+TG side panel || PSU: Corsair RM650 (cablemod customs planned) || Cooling: CoolerMaster Nepton 240M Top Mount

Lighting: 2x 12v White LED Strip Lights || Keyboard: Logitech G213 || Mouse: Logitech G502 Non-Spectrum

Fans: 4x BeQuiet Silent Wings 140mm Intake/Bottom/Exhaust - 2x EK Vardar F3 120mm Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A4 40mm VRM|| Display: BenQ 27" 1440p 60Hz IPS panel.

Whetstone - CPU: Intel i3-8350K 5G || GPU: eVGA GTX 970 SC || MB: Asus Prime Z370M-PLUS II || MEM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 OC

Storage: 240GB WD SN500 NVME Boot - 240GB ADATA SU800 + 500GB m.2 MX500 + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Games - 4TB 7200RPM Media

Case: Fractal Define Mini C w/window || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Cooling: Antec Kuhler 240mm Top Mount (planned for replacement)

Lighting: 2x 12v White LED Strip Lights || Keyboard: Logitech G613 || Mouse: Logitech G602

Fans: 2x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 140mm Intake - 1x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 120mm Exhaust - 2x EK Vardar F3 120mm Radiator || Display: Toshiba 43" 4K TV 60Hz

Phenom Express - CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition || GPU: eVGA GTX 750Ti FTW Backplated || MB: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe || MEM: 8GB (4x2) Corsair XMS2 800

Storage: 120GB SATA Kingston A400 Boot - 240GB SATA Kingston A400 Games - 500GB 5400RPM WD Black Media

Case: Kolink Stronghold TG Front Panel Modded || PSU: Fractal Integra M 450 || Cooling: Corsair H45 Front Mount, Push/Pull

Lighting: 4x 12v Blue LED Strip Lights || Keyboard: Logitech G510s || Mouse: Logitech G202

Fans: 1x Corsair SP140 Blue LED Intake - 2x Corsair AF120 Blue LED Intake/Exhaust - 2x Corsair AF120 Exhaust - 2x Cooler Master Silencio FP120 Radiator

Valkyrie - CPU: Intel i7-8750H || GPU: GTX M1060 6GB || MB: HM370 Laptop Board || MEM: 32GB (2x16) Samsung 2666

Storage: 500GB m.2 MX500 Boot || 2TB 5400RPM Games

Case: Asus FX705 Chassis || PSU: 64,000mWh Li-Ion Battery + 180W 19.5v Brick || Cooling: OEM - Triple Heatpipe - Triple Radiator - Dual Fan

Lighting: RGB Keyboard & Illuminated Logo || Keyboard: Tactile and Responsive Chiclet Style || Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

Fans: 2x Squirrel Cage Centrifugal Blower

Actually my PC has quite a few parts made in Taiwan - which technically is still China - but it says Taiwan, so would that count then?  Wouldn't be so hard to only get parts like that I guess,  also Korea perhaps. 

I'd definitely take on this challenge, if OP pays!  😁 

RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually my PC has quite a few parts made in Taiwan - which technically is still China - but it says Taiwan, so would that count then?

It depends on the country you are from if thy recognize Taiwan as separate country, like what Taiwanese want, or part of China, if they want to please the Chinese government.

8 hours ago, Zeniv said:

I would love to know if it can even be done.

no it can not be done

dont even bother

to me a waste of time

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It depends on the country you are from if thy recognize Taiwan as separate country, like what Taiwanese want, or part of China, if they want to please the Chinese government.

Regardless of the political stage of Taiwan, most assembly is always done back in the mainland. Gigabyte is one of the few that still have motherboard production in Taipei:

Specifications:

Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz                                                                                     Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Boot drive: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB            Second drive: Micron 1100 2TB         GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

Case: Antec P8                                                                                                                    PSU: Antec HGC850

Both Intel and AMD CPU's are made in China so far as I am aware, so it'd have to be something IBM POWER 9 based.

On second thought... I've been wanting to see LTT bumble through Power9 for a while... I say do it!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Motherboard Tier List

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phones: iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 6s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 3GS x2. Lots more in parts.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

15 hours ago, Zeniv said:

Impossible. All motherboards are made at Chinese factories (typically foxconn) unless Linus decides to source them from Brazil (some, not all items produced for the Brazil/South America market are produced in Brazil due to high import costs in Brazil,) that's unlikely to happen.