Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThechGiant69

Why is internet so expensive and slow in the USA/Canada?

Just now, greenhorn said:

Which country are you talking about? I pay 23 € per month but that only gets me 10 Mbit/s down, 1 Mbit/s up.

I live in Lithuania for example, I pay 9 € for 1 gig, businesses are very regulated in the EU, maybe that's the thing, where do you live btw?

3 minutes ago, ThechGiant69 said:

What about the UK? How much do you need to pay there for 1Gbit internet? (cheapest option)

You are picking where to go based on internet price? :D iirc about 40 pounds or so.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Here in the EU I'm able to get 1 Gbit/s down, 100 Mbit/s up for 25€/month. When I took a look at the ISPs overseas they seem so expensive. $150/month for 300 Mbps, seriously??? On the business side here we are able to get 100 Gbps internet for data-centers, of course only big enterprises can offer that. I wasn't able to find any ISPs that offer such for business in America. Are there any cheaper or faster options for the average customer where you live?

Because their fright of communism they havent made any security's for the consumer. So every company fucks the consumer as hard as they can.
There are even providers having made deals with city's and such to avoid competition.
Its absolutely disgusting. And won't happen in a 1st world country. This among others is why they aren't a 1st world country!

Basically, cause they can. A lot of ISPs hold a monopoly in certain areas so you can't really choose another provider, this makes them feel like they can do whatever they want.

1 minute ago, ThechGiant69 said:

So are there any smaller ISPs in some areas which offer cheaper internet?

No, smaller ISP's in the US does not really offer better prices, unlike in the EU.

23 minutes ago, ThechGiant69 said:

Here in the EU I'm able to get 1 Gbit/s down, 100 Mbit/s up for 25€/month. [...]

Which country are you talking about? I pay 23 € per month but that only gets me 10 Mbit/s down, 1 Mbit/s up.

1 minute ago, greenhorn said:

Well, if you don't have fiber cable running near your home, you're out of luck, but Telekom/T-Mobile offers fiber optic internet access in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary where you pay 25€-35€ for 1 gbps.

Posted · Best Answer
Just now, greenhorn said:

I live in Lithuania for example, I pay 9 € for 1 gig, businesses are very regulated in the EU, maybe that's the thing, where do you live btw?

What about the UK? How much do you need to pay there for 1Gbit internet? (cheapest option)

You are picking where to go based on internet price? :D iirc about 40 pounds or so.

13 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

regulated capitalism 

And free or partially free health care too.

In my country a hospital will never trade in stocks or focus on investors,

Since most hospitals in my country are mostly funded by the government.

Back to the topic i pay 60€ for 1Gb/s and i am in the EU.

5 minutes ago, ThechGiant69 said:

Do they even have those speeds?

From my knowledge the infrastructure in the UK is too old for such speeds

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

They do, not everywhere obviously.

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

i pay 60€ for 1Gb/s and i am in the EU.

Where in the EU? That's not very cheap.

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Well, one end of the optical cables going beneath the Atlantic Ocean is in Ireland, and that's what connects the America with Europe.

7 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Well, that has to be the most important factor, right?

If you are in the line of work that makes you dependent on internet quality/speed, then maybe. In for example Korea internet is great, fairly cheap, but food/housing/etc. are not cheap at all, so in my mind, internet is not the main factor. 

I'm not sure where you're seeing pricing like that, that's ridiculous. I pay $80/month and get 600 down/something up.

Still on the expensive side, sure, but no where near that bad.

How much is a 600mb line where you are? Seeing as you're paying the equivalent of $36/month right now.

Also, one of the reasons for slightly higher cost is infrastructure. Take Canada, for instance. It's often much more spaced out than European countries, so you're going to pay more in installation, maintenance, etc. There's fewer users per square kilometer.

44 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

because capitalism

Uh, no.

30 minutes ago, ThechGiant69 said:

So are there any smaller ISPs in some areas which offer cheaper internet?

Yes, in cities there's often cheaper choices.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, ThechGiant69 said:

You need to understand America as a whole to properly answer you.

Capitalism, monopolies, barriers to entry, govt's subsidies, lobbyists, fraud, corruption, etc.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

In Canada it's because we have a small population (around 34.4 million) living in a large area.

But while it's expensive with the major ISPs, thanks to the CRTC forcing them to rent out their infrastructure to small ISPs, we do have reasonable pricing when going with smaller ISPs rather then the major 3-4 ones.

For exemple, TekSavvy has these plans for my location (take currency exchange into account, the prices are in CAD, not USD) ;

image.thumb.png.0d2190b25114d83d4a479b44acb1cb26.png

Here are some smaller ISPs available depending on the location, since some are not nation wide and only available in one province or area ;

http://www.carrytel.ca/internet-plans.aspx

https://www.acanac.com/internet-ontario/

https://www.vmedia.ca/en/internet/ontario

https://primus.ca/index.php/ont_en/internet.html

https://xinflix.com/plans.php?category=68

https://www.distributel.ca/shop/internet-ontario/

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Guide to run any software as Admin

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

In Canada it's because we have a small population (around 34.4 million) living in a large area.

But while it's expensive with the major ISPs, thanks to the CRTC forcing them to rent out their infrastructure to small ISPs, we do have reasonable pricing when going with smaller ISPs rather then the major 3-4 ones.

For exemple, TekSavvy has these plans for my location (take currency exchange into account, the prices are in CAD, not USD) ;

image.thumb.png.0d2190b25114d83d4a479b44acb1cb26.png

Here are some smaller ISPs available depending on the location, since some are not nation wide and only available in one province or area ;

http://www.carrytel.ca/internet-plans.aspx

https://www.acanac.com/internet-ontario/

https://www.vmedia.ca/en/internet/ontario

https://primus.ca/index.php/ont_en/internet.html

https://xinflix.com/plans.php?category=68

https://www.distributel.ca/shop/internet-ontario/

That doesn't seem that bad. Also I would have to consider that people in America/Canada generally have higher salaries than those in European countries - I mean the small ones. Here some people even have salaries equivalent to ~$500 USD / month, and I'm not talking about people doing physical work. At us $2000/month is considered a very good salary.

2 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

You need to understand America as a whole to properly answer you.

Capitalism, monopolies, barriers to entry, govt's subsidies, lobbyists, fraud, corruption, etc.

I thought when I said "That gotta be the most important factor!", it would be obvious sarcasm 🙃

11 minutes ago, ThechGiant69 said:

I thought when I said "That gotta be the most important factor!", it would be obvious sarcasm 🙃

Sorry, was answering your original question, not the price one :)

Tho I do pay $70 for Gigabit fiber.  Nice price you have in the UK.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti