When USB hubs become gamer too - seagate announces new dock + SSDs

williamcll
44 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

No, I didn't see any in the product specs or data sheet. I have checked NVMe cooling solutions before and sincerely you can skip that part.

NVME cooling has proven to increase drive performance especially on PCIE 4.0 drives (under heavy loads). As the drive will throttle or stop after 70C or 85C depending on the drive.

What do you mean by that? With what software? Intel RST is exclusive to its own platform and the other solutions such as PrimoCache and StoreMI will also have their own limitations, PrimoCache being the one with more versatility and most likely, you can use it to configure an external device as a cache, but if I assure you this I would be lying, it would be a matter of trying to check if it is compatible with external devices. I guess it does... 

The firecuda laptop line up uses onboard flash to improve drive performance, I was wondering if this nvme slot had any special implemtnation. (I guess not)

obviously an SSD will load a game much faster than other machines that use HDD but that would be the biggest benefit, that games installed in an SSD will have a shorter waiting time to open them but that's it. 

The video games are no heavy load for any storage device

Well you just said it yourself, most modern games have awful load times on HDDs. If the OS is also on the same drive you can experience stuttering ingame as the game (not all game) is waiting on the disk (due to other requests from the system).  $349.99 can get you atleast 2tb of SSD.

...The endurance or reliability of QLC is inferior to that of its predecessors, so you may think it would be appropriate not to give them intensive use like gaming,

intensive? but lot a heavy load? which one is it XD

6 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

What it has is the slot for an NVMe M.2 SSD.

3116938-l-c.jpg

Not sure what the NVMe has anything to do with the rotational speed of the hard drives. According to Tom's Hardware's article it says the 4TB inside runs at 7,200RPM. This got me curious as majority of large capacity HDD such as 4TB runs at a much slower RPM, due to being used for storage, where speed isn't a priority. So I looked it up on your website and found Barracuda Pro is the product line that offers large capacity drives at 7200RPM. The other is IronWolf Pro, but I doubt you guys will use that for this product, it's a different drive designed for a different purpose.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2019 at 12:55 AM, NumLock21 said:

Not sure what the NVMe has anything to do with the rotational speed of the hard drives. According to Tom's Hardware's article it says the 4TB inside runs at 7,200RPM. This got me curious as majority of large capacity HDD such as 4TB runs at a much slower RPM, due to being used for storage, where speed isn't a priority. So I looked it up on your website and found Barracuda Pro is the product line that offers large capacity drives at 7200RPM. The other is IronWolf Pro, but I doubt you guys will use that for this product, it's a different drive designed for a different purpose.

It actually is a 4TB Ironwolf Pro.  I have the dock and love it.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:37 PM, Deli said:

No RGB?? No deal? Nowadays nothing works without RGB.

And HDD in 2020?? At least give us Sata SSD.

BTW, being sarcastic.

Its RGB.

1 minute ago, Tyb3rious said:

It actually is a 4TB Ironwolf Pro.  I have the dock and love it.

You're replying to a thread from...... 2019. That is hardly relevant anymore.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Necro

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2021 at 9:48 AM, WereCatf said:

You're replying to a thread from...... 2019. That is hardly relevant anymore.

why it is irrelevant ? any constructive effort / support should be welcomed ? it is 2021 and i am thinking to buy one.

-Thread lo...

16 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

In before the "Old Thread Lock"......

Shoot!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25