When USB hubs become gamer too - seagate announces new dock + SSDs

williamcll

Seagate has announced some new hardware as well as refreshing some old models.

Seagate is blazing up a firestorm with the release of two new storage products for gamers, a new gaming dock, and a PCIe 4.0 x4 FireCuda SSD. The company is also refreshing a few of the other SSDs in its lineup, too.

missing-image.svg

FireCuda Gaming Dock

Seagate’s FireCuda Gaming Dock is a high-end gaming hub that integrates a docking station and external storage into one device. It’s meant to be a perfect fit for laptop gamers who aren’t ready to jump on the desktop gaming PC bandwagon yet.

missing-image.svg

As many laptops are constrained by storage, Seagate is launching the unit with 4TB 7200RPM HDD inside for those growing game libraries. The company also threw in a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 expansion slot just in case you’re looking to add some high-speed NVMe storage, too. The dock features one-cord plug-and-play connectivity over a single Thunderbolt 3 input. There are also 10 connections to the docking station to connect your other peripherals. 

• 1x TB3 port for accessory devices

• 1x DisplayPort 1.4

• 4x USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports

• 1x USB 3.1 Gen 2 battery charge port 

• 1x RJ45 Ethernet network port

• 1x 3.5mm audio-in / mic port

• 1x 3.5mm audio-out port

Unfortunately, there is no charging support for laptops, so you will have to use your power brick when you're connected to the dock. But it offers a slick industrial design with LED illumination. It comes to market with an MSRP of $349.99 and a three-year warranty.

FireCuda 520 SSD

If the gaming dock wasn’t enough to spark your interest, Seagate’s new PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD just might. It’s Seagate's top-of-the-line SSD, and a solid choice to add some more speed to your new AMD Ryzen 3000 build.

missing-image.svg

Like a few other PCIe 4.0 SSDs in the market, Seagate’s FireCuda 520 features a Phison E16 SSD controller that has been validated by the company. Paired with Kioxia’s 96L BiCS4 TLC NAND flash, seagate says this combo enables incredible performance with up to 5,000/4,400 MBps of sequential read/write throughput and up to 760,000/700,000 random read/write IOPS. The drive comes with a black PCB and has an MTBF rating of 1.8M hours. It also comes with a five-year warranty with endurance figures of up to 3,600 TB to match. Available now, Seagate’s FireCuda 520 comes in three capacities: 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB. MSRPs are $124.99 (500GB), $249.99 (1TB), and $429.99 (2TB).

FireCuda 510 SSD Refresh

While the FireCuda 520 launch steals the spotlight, Seagate’s FireCuda 510 PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD gets some love, too. Today, Seagate told us that it is refreshing the FireCuda 510 with new hardware. First, Seagate added in a black PCB to appeal for those concerned about aesthetics. Who likes ugly blue and green PCBs distracting from your blacked-out or red accented gaming build, anyways? Seagate also swapped out the NAND from 64L BiCS3 to the latest Kioxia 96L BiCS4 flash. They have also added in a 500GB capacity point because high-capacity models are a hot seller.

Barracuda 510 SSD Refresh

Just as the FireCuda is expanding to smaller capacities, the company’s mainstream PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD, the BarraCuda 510, is getting a 1TB model. Like the FireCuda, the BarraCuda features a Seagate-validated Phison E12 SSD controller and the latest Kioxia 96L BiCS4 flash, but not the fancy black PCB.

missing-image.svg

The main difference between the BarraCuda 510 and FireCuda 510, other than aesthetics and capacity points, is that the BarraCuda is a single-sided M.2 SSD optimized for flexible compatibility, while FireCuda is a double-sided M.2 solution optimized for enhanced performance and greater endurance.

BarraCuda 120 SSD Refresh

To conclude the refresh list, we finally have the BarraCuda 120 SSD. Seagate’s BarraCuda 120 is a 2.5 in × 7mm SATA 6Gb/s SSD that replaces the previous BarraCuda SSD. 

Seagate replaced the internals with new and up-to-date hardware. The company also swapped out the aging S10 SSD controller and replaced it with a Phison S12 SATA controller to ready it for 3D NAND. Seagate will have two sources of NAND for this SSD. Depending on inventory, the BarraCuda 120 will come with either Kioxia 96L BiCS4 TLC or Micron 64L TLC to ensure consistent supply. 

Source:https://www.seagate.com/consumer/play/firecuda-gaming-dock/

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-announces-thunderbolt-3-gaming-dock-and-new-firecuda-ssds

Thoughts: While it's true that large multi-port USB docks with as much I/O as a desktop exists for a few years already, I will wait for the reviews to see if this is truly an epic gamer moment or not. The new PCIe4 SSD has me worried, if even a corsair MP600 have overheating issues, how is something like that without a heatsink going to handle?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

NVMe SSD for gamers? It's only for gamers if it's cheap... like really cheap. Seriously, gaming PCs do not benefit from really fast, really expensive storage. The price points they listed aren't very compelling imo.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

NVMe SSD for gamers? It's only for gamers if it's cheap... like really cheap. Seriously, gaming PCs do not benefit from really fast, really expensive storage.

Don't you want to be able to game harder regardless of price?

image.thumb.png.5a2a914229cc2c7c2a84e613b9af56a5.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

Don't you want to be able to game harder

believe me, I'm already a hard gamer >:)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The dock is more of a fancy impractical peripheral if you ask me, tho I'd like to see more decently made SSDs out there. Pricing... we'll see

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Can you count RGB lighting for SSD's as Gamers SSD? I am not sure where I stand on what all makes something "Gamer"... I would assume aspects that make the computer faster, Cheaper, and have weird gimmicks like turbo buttons...

Does the USB Hub reduce latency introduced by the dock? That is the only thing I can imagine it being Gamer?

Okay, but why does it look like a Duracell battery with a cap covering most of the orange?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

No RGB?? No deal? Nowadays nothing works without RGB.

And HDD in 2020?? At least give us Sata SSD.

BTW, being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

firecuda sounds stupid..

Like maybe you had takis powder on your fingers and had to take a leak..

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Seagate: Shows a glowing orange enclosure

Darn, I was hoping for a handwarmer too.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Yay...another dock/caddy from Segate that'll turn the HDD into a furnace (my first 2TB HDD had to go through 65oc temps in its caddy).

39 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Seagate: Shows a glowing orange enclosure

Darn, I was hoping for a handwarmer too.

Don't count it out yet. It could still have the capability.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

i mean, it was only inevitable. gamer everything and you get $$$$$

still tough, doesn't Lenovo already have docks like this?

It worked very well for companies like razor, corsair, kingston krakken etc

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well, it's hard to find an enclosure with Thunderbolt 3 port adapted to people willing to use their NVMe devices externally. At least for them there is one more option now and with RGB.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Well, it's hard to find an enclosure with Thunderbolt 3 port adapted to people willing to use their NVMe devices externally. At least for them there is one more option now and with RGB.

Does the nvme drive slot come with a cooling solution?

Does the dock have onboard support to use the nvme drive as a cache for the HDD?

IMO high capacity QLC drives seem to be a better choice for storing games.

4TB at 7200RPM. So I guess these are using their Barracuda Pro HDDs.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

43 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Does the nvme drive slot come with a cooling solution?

No, I didn't see any in the product specs or data sheet. I have checked NVMe cooling solutions before and sincerely you can skip that part.

Does the dock have onboard support to use the nvme drive as a cache for the HDD?

What do you mean by that? With what software? Intel RST is exclusive to its own platform and the other solutions such as PrimoCache and StoreMI will also have their own limitations, PrimoCache being the one with more versatility and most likely, you can use it to configure an external device as a cache, but if I assure you this I would be lying, it would be a matter of trying to check if it is compatible with external devices. I guess it does... 

IMO high capacity QLC drives seem to be a better choice for storing games.

That's right but not quite, told me one of my teachers once. The video games are no heavy load for any storage device, the type of information or data that video games handle depends more on the graphics than on the storage device, so even an HDD will give you the same FPSs as an SSD, obviously an SSD will load a game much faster than other machines that use HDD but that would be the biggest benefit, that games installed in an SSD will have a shorter waiting time to open them but that's it. The endurance or reliability of QLC is inferior to that of its predecessors, so you may think it would be appropriate not to give them intensive use like gaming, but then again, SSDs and even QLC devices support many written Bytes/IOPS to the point where it is difficult to achieve the daily limitations they can withstand, even by defragmenting every day an SSD it would be hard to reach the limits of the writing cycles of a SSD including QLC.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

7 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

NVMe SSD for gamers? It's only for gamers if it's cheap... like really cheap. Seriously, gaming PCs do not benefit from really fast, really expensive storage. The price points they listed aren't very compelling imo.

B... but... I want to capture my gameplay in uncompressed 4k 4:4:4 HDR quality! 

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

4TB at 7200RPM. So I guess these are using their Barracuda Pro HDDs.

What it has is the slot for an NVMe M.2 SSD.

3116938-l-c.jpg

11 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

That's right but not quite, told me one of my teachers once.

I have to ask, why do you say it's right but not quite, and then proceed to say nothing about why their comment wasn't entirely accurate? Your drivel only backs the comment up instead of addressing your claim of it not being quite right.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

B... but... I want to capture my gameplay in uncompressed 4k 4:4:4 HDR quality! 

If you want to do it quickly and easily, go with a NVMe then, that is one of the features of this format, move the heavy files as video in less time than with other SSDs.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I have to ask, why do you say it's right but not quite, and then proceed to say nothing about why their comment wasn't entirely accurate? Your drivel only backs the comment up instead of addressing your claim of it not being quite right.

Since when the use of an specific type of SSD brings you benefits for gaming?:

20 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

...The endurance or reliability of QLC is inferior to that of its predecessors, so you may think it would be appropriate not to give them intensive use like gaming, but then again, SSDs and even QLC devices support many written Bytes/IOPS to the point where it is difficult to achieve the daily limitations they can withstand...

Do a RAID configuration with NVMe devices (completely unnecessary) and perform an intensive gaming session, then use the same computer to play from an HDD, you will not see any difference in your gaming experience independently the type of storage device you are using even when you use one storage device with lower endurance.

1 minute ago, seagate_surfer said:

Since when the use of an specific type of SSD brings you benefits for gaming?

Depends a little on one's definition, but if you consider better capacity-per-dollar as a benefit -- many people do still have terribly slow Internet-connections, especially in third-world countries like the US, so the fewer times one has to redownload a game over the years, the better -- while still keeping NVMe read-speeds, then QLC could be argued to be beneficial for that task over other types -- write-speeds are irrelevant, when it comes to gaming, after all.

HDDs obviously have the higher capacity-per-dollar, but can't do NVMe read-speeds.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.