What would be a good pc for playing KSP for under £900

Isaac2005
29 minutes ago, Isaac2005 said:

I am just wondering how good a pc this is before I build it.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zr6gJb

Nah idd do

25 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

go ryzen 5 3600, go 1660 super, get a ssd.

and also go RX5700

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£174.78 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£99.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£64.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£59.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£33.18 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  (£255.46 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (£58.88 @ More Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.68 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £817.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 16:56 GMT+0000

This blows away the above build 

10 minutes ago, Isaac2005 said:

Would you still go Ryzen 5

Absolutely Sir!

Few points and suggestions: 

1. You NEED AN SSD!!!! The SSD is the most essential part in any pc today for how snappy it feels in gereal. I guess you dont want to wait 2min for boot and another 5 before actually in game :D

2.This i7 is overpriced and the R5 3600 is boss for gaming with price/perf in mind. Much more multithreaded power and same speed in games. Anyway with this build the GPU will be limiting factor.

3. That 1060 is old and slow. The 1660 super performs MUCH better. Want more power? add 100 bucks and go with a RX 5700XT

4. nice case, PSU and RAM

1 hour ago, Isaac2005 said:

I am just wondering how good a pc this is before I build it.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zr6gJb

Here's the optimal amount of performance that fits in a 850 gbp budget

21 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

4. nice case, PSU and RAM

I found a much nicer PSU for less (that CXM is old and very overpriced), and spent less on RAM for same performance, spent a touch less on the case for the same series.  Also upgraded the SSD to an NVMe (because it cost 4 quid extra for what's essentially the best NVMe option before you hit 970 EVO).  Made enough room for the RX 5700 because why settle for a 1660 Super if you don't have to.  Upgraded the mobo to Tomahawk MAX for 1 quid less (supports 3rd gen without bios update, better BIOS chip, better bios interface).  Upgraded the Harddrive to a 17% faster model that's much newer (2016), the WD model is from 2012.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£98.47 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£64.37 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB MECH OC Video Card  (£299.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (£46.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£66.53 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £846.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 17:29 GMT+0000

6 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Here's the optimal amount of performance that fits in a 850 gbp budget

I found a much nicer PSU for less (that CXM is old and very overpriced), and spent less on RAM for same performance, spent a touch less on the case for the same series.  Also upgraded the SSD to an NVMe (because it cost 4 quid extra for what's essentially the best NVMe option before you hit 970 EVO).  Made enough room for the RX 5700 because why settle for a 1660 Super if you don't have to.  Upgraded the mobo to Tomahawk MAX for 1 quid less (supports 3rd gen without bios update, better BIOS chip, better bios interface).  Upgraded the Harddrive to a 17% faster model that's much newer (2016), the WD model is from 2012.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£98.47 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£64.37 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB MECH OC Video Card  (£299.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (£46.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£66.53 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £846.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 17:29 GMT+0000

KK, I am fine with that.

Your deff. right about the Mobo, I didn't know about the Max version.

NOT a fan of this PSU. I know its a good unit but yeah dont like the fan nose. Maybe my buddy just got a bad unit...

Was also thinking about RX 5700, but I didn't read that OP has 850 lol I was doing it for 800.

BUT about the GPU: Watch GNs RX 5700(xt) comparison videos. The cooler is not good. Get the Power Color or Saphire variant. Price should be roughly the same.

RAM/HDD: OK come down to personal taste and I think the real world differences wont be noticeable.

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

RAM/SSD/HDD: OK come down to personal taste and I think the real world differences wont be noticeable.

RAM - Personal taste?  Um ok, if the looks are what's being assessed.  Why pay more for the same speed?

SSD - This I take exception to.  In some games it won't be that noticable, but even in windows boot times an NVMe is just plain faster.  And doing a direct file copy on an NVMe is miles ahead of the Sata speed.  Why waste an M.2 port on a Sata SSD when you can have the best for barely any more?  NVMe > SSD all day long.

HDD - I'd argue not completely up to personal taste.  I realize HDD are all going to look slow compared with an SSD, but if you can get a newer model that does suck slightly less than a 2012 WD Blue, it's a mistake not to take it.  The 17% difference would be noticeable in copying files

7 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

NOT a fan of this PSU. I know its a good unit but yeah dont like the fan nose. Maybe my buddy just got a bad unit...

I do not know of anyone who bought a well-rated PSU (in the PSU Tier list on these forums) and came back to complain the PSU fan was loud.  If that shows up in reviews then sure, could swap for a Corsair TXM Gold (also at that price level), but typically there are much louder fans in a PC while gaming to worry about.

8 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

The cooler is not good. Get the Power Color or Saphire variant. Price should be roughly the same.

The only non-stock cooler 5700 at the same price is the "XFX DD Ultra" but if I recall GN also hated on it's cooler (but it could be improved by removing plastic I think, heh).  The Sapphire Pulse is about 46 quid more expensive, so that's far from the same.

4 minutes ago, Isaac2005 said:

Is this better

I see that you incorporated most of my improvements, but not all, so not sure why you tried to mix in the more expensive link to the same case?

-you still have the more expensive Focus G that is literally the same case but for some odd reason costs 58 quid and not 46.

-If you prefer the look of corsair ram for 5 quid more that's fine, but know that it's the exact same performance as the T-Force ram I chose for 60gbp.

16 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

I see that you incorporated most of my improvements, but not all, so not sure why you tried to mix in the more expensive link to the same case?

-you still have the more expensive Focus G that is literally the same case but for some odd reason costs 58 quid and not 46.

-If you prefer the look of corsair ram for 5 quid more that's fine, but know that it's the exact same performance as the T-Force ram I chose for 60gbp.

Yes

HDD: ok ok ok but I had several Seagates failing me -> that’s why I am a WD guy 

SSD: yep, I did only talk about HDD!

GPU: it’s worth to spend extra on a decent cooler! Little more potential and more importantly less noise 

or get a reference and buy a cooler for 20£ wich someone who is doing water is flipping. That way I got a nice cooler for my 290X a few years back. Was like 10 Bucks for a good Shapire cooler 

Just now, Metallus97 said:

You ninja edited.

RAM/SSD/HDD is what it says in my quote of you.  Nice try though ?

5 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

You ninja edited.

RAM/SSD/HDD is what it says in my quote of you.  Nice try though ?

I edited like 2min after I posted bcs I looked up your SSD. I did not edit after I got your reply.

Thats caused because when you klick reply and in the mean time the quoted text changes your quote wont reflect that.

SO: yup at first I hat SSD in there to but removed it after 2min

But doesn't matter: you're right about the SSD :D

GPU: Maybe OP can get away with the MSI and GNs washer mod

4 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Yes

HDD: ok ok ok but I had several Seagates failing me -> that’s why I am a WD guy 

GPU: it’s worth to spend extra on a decent cooler! Little more potential and more importantly less noise 

or get a reference and buy a cooler for 20£ wich someone who is doing water is flipping. That way I got a nice cooler for my 290X a few years back. Was like 10 Bucks for a good Shapire cooler 

One of the reasons why HDDs fail the most is because of the use given to cheap HDDs, for example, see the Backlaze report, they base more or less 10 percent of their data centers on office HDDs that are projected to work 5 days a week 8 hours per day (not 24/7), at least if they were the Pro version of BarraCuda that supports 24/7 tasks, but it is not the case, so consequently they have a high high failure rate with respect to that particular model because that HDD was not built for that. The durability of a hard disk is based on the purpose for which it was created and its use given. 

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

5 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

One of the reasons why HDDs fail the most is because of the use given to cheap HDDs, for example, see the Backlaze report, they base more or less 10 percent of their data centers on office HDDs that are projected to work 5 days a week 8 hours per day (not 24/7), at least if they were the Pro version of BarraCuda that supports 24/7 tasks, but it is not the case, so consequently they have a high high failure rate with respect to that particular model because that HDD was not built for that. The durability of a hard disk is based on the purpose for which it was created and its use given. 

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

Absolutely! 

But yeha in my personal experience Seagates failed me more than WDs. But that might be bad luck.

Price/perf (for normal consumer drives at least) you're better :D 

I am looking to buy a gaming pc to play games like KSP, Civilisation and Anno.

for under £900

need os/monitor/peripherals?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

need os/monitor/peripherals?

No I Already have a good keyboard and mouse and 1080p monitor 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£82.55 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£54.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£50.95 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC II Video Card  (£361.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 50 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£40.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£63.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £893.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 16:10 GMT+0000

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Isaac2005 said:

What kind of FPS could I expect?

I can't give a specific number, but in kerbal this PC would run super well

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Isaac2005 said:

if I had an extra 100 what bit should I upgrade?

you could afford a better CPU, although the BIOS update required would be a slight hindrance, you'd need to request a boot kit from AMD to sort it out or borrow a CPU from someone

Primary PC: