Zoo gets sued for using facial recognition - in China

williamcll

20191110193644_1616.jpg

In what is the first legal case against the use of facial recognition technology in the country, a lawsuit has filed against a zoo who has replaced their thumbprint scanners with a facial scanner for admission by a law professor, who claims this is an abuse of consumer rights. This case has even caught the interest of the national television (see third source).

A Chinese professor has filed the country's first lawsuit against the use of facial-recognition technology after a Chinese zoo installed a new surveillance system for its ticket gate. Guo Bing, a law professor at Zhejiang Sci-Tech University, has brought a rare lawsuit against the Hangzhou Safari Park, after it installed a facial recognition system in July to identify members for entry at its front gates, replacing an older fingerprint identification system, according to a state media report.

Those refusing to register their faces in the new entrance system are now barred, even if they’re among the thousands who have already ponied up the 1,360 yuan (£150) annual fee.Mr Guo has accused the park of violating Chinese consumer rights law by collecting personal data without obtaining consent, in a lawsuit accepted by a local court last Friday. He initially demanded a full refund of his annual membership fee, but claims the park refused to return the full amount. “The reason I filed this lawsuit is not for compensation of economic loss,” Mr Guo told local media.

“I personally think the current application of facial-recognition technology still faces uncertainty and security risks, and needs to be regulated.”How the court decides on the case could lead to more regulation and debate in China over the use of such surveillance technology by private businesses and the government. Facial recognition technology is being deployed all over China, with everyone’s faces scanned and recorded. It’s mandatory to submit to face-scanning in order to pass airport immigration, and some subway stations in Beijing allow entry to passengers via facial recognition.

Cash machines now offer facial recognition as an option to identify customers, universities have begun installing the technology at entrance gates for greater security, classrooms in some schools have facial recognition-equipped cameras to ensure pupils are paying attention, and digital payments can be approved via a face scan. It is even possible to board a plane via facial recognition in some Chinese airports. While some Chinese people have accepted this digital dragnet as a part of modern life, not everyone is convinced. “Why can a zoo collect people's facial information? Who is responsible if there were a leak?” complained one user online.

“Are human viewing animals or the other way around?” The technology is far from infallible – last month, a couple of primary school students hacked a facial recognition system by using a photograph to open a locker that held delivery packages.

Source:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/05/chinese-professor-files-countrys-first-lawsuit-against-use-facial/

https://www.ithome.com/0/455/982.htm (Chinese Source)

http://tv.cctv.com/2019/11/10/VIDE8aO7LwACc6NJnO6BQKCI191110.shtml (Chinese video source, flash required)

Thoughts: Everyone draws the line between convenience, privacy and security differently. It's what your intentions with yours or others.

And if you are wondering why hasn't the professor vanished, you might want to question the legitimacy the news about China you normally read.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

im more concerned about someone stealing my fingerprint information  than my face information but id rather the zoo do neither and just use those wristbands that every other amusement place uses

Meh? I think many major Chinese cities already have tons of CCTV that can recognise faces. If someone breaks a law, like jaywalking, a penalty would be automatically applied, and fine subtracted from his/her bank account.

Chinese government is obsessed with controlling everything. Privacy isn't much of a thing there.

5 hours ago, williamcll said:

And if you are wondering why hasn't the professor vanished, you might want to question the legitimacy the news about China you normally read.

No point in asking people on the internet to be critical,  especially about things where the only information we have is hard/impossible to fact check and likely biased either by the media or political agenda.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

I question the frequent and common lack of criticism of China in our news.

Does that count?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I question the frequent and common lack of criticism of China in our news.

Does that count?

How dare you question our Lord and Savior Media.  

In other news Saudi Arabia is categorizing feminists, atheists, and homosexuals as extremists - punishable by jail and flogging.

In our News: TRRRRRRUUUUUUUMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF *insert extremely blood filled rage faced pubescent adult*

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

48 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

How dare you question our Lord and Savior Media.  

In other news Saudi Arabia is categorizing feminists, atheists, and homosexuals as extremists - punishable by jail and flogging.

In our News: TRRRRRRUUUUUUUMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF *insert extremely blood filled rage faced pubescent adult*

The irony of me being a right wing atheist....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

30 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The irony of me being a right wing atheist....

I'm a centre right agnostic theist, everyone hates me.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

I'm a centre right agnostic theist, everyone hates me.

is there any proof of that?

;)

Just now, amdorintel said:

;)

Are you asking me to prove something I don't believe is provable?  ?

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

;)

I'll sign an affidavit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

just use those wristbands

Yeah but then they can't track you at every turn if you decide to take it off. This would obviously be unacceptable in China.

12 hours ago, williamcll said:

ye dude cuz suing zoo is the same as opening your mouth about government...

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

3 hours ago, Neftex said:

ye dude cuz suing zoo is the same as opening your mouth about government...

It gets close once you get to the legal level.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Needing to authenticate via biometrics to enter a zoo. I would really want to be surprised but this is China we're talking about.