How do I prevent my Ryzen 5 3600 from being pull out of the socket by the stock cooler

AdamLBS

I've tried one time to replace my stock cooler with a BeQuiet Pure Rock (in a mATX case)

When i've first tried to remove the stock cooler, the CPU went off the socket and a pin was bent.

I've "repaired" the pin, the CPU works perfectly with the stock cooler, (max 4.06 ghz). Now i'm asking for some tips, to prevent this kind of case, where the CPU gets out of the socket with the cooler, now i'm like "afraid" of touching my CPU... 

Thanks guys!

Warm up the thermal paste and pull it off

Or do the ol' twist and turn. Never pull straight up if it seems stuck

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

turn the system on and run aida64, and then once it gets hot shut it down. then the paste will be less sticky.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

wait, The socket should hold your ryzen in place. Does it not do that? Bit confused on what you mean. 

1 minute ago, GenericFanboy said:

wait, The socket should hold your ryzen in place. Does it not do that? Bit confused on what you mean. 

The locker was down, and the when the ryzen went off the locker was still down...

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Warm up the thermal paste and pull it off

Or do the ol' twist and turn. Never pull straight up if it seems stuck

Oh I see, thanks

You could run a fine wire between the CPU and cooler (wire like floss) to kinda separate the two.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just rip it out man.  Or warm it up some prior to removal.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Grab the cooler and twist it. 

The ol’ cooler twist. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

This is the main reason I hate Ryzen CPUs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It's weird I took out 2 Ryzen coolers recently,  both using stock thermal paste,  and was no issue whatsoever.

PC was fully cooled down too - I removed the mobo from the case before doing that though,  maybe that's why. 

I don't even remember how I removed the coolers,  I just know I had zero problems.  :o

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

It's weird I took out 2 Ryzen coolers recently,  both using stock thermal paste,  and was no issue whatsoever.

PC was fully cooled down too - I removed the mobo from the case before doing that though,  maybe that's why. 

I don't even remember how I removed the coolers,  I just know I had zero problems.  :o

I've pulled straight up, just like my others Intel CPU... :( 

2 hours ago, AdamLBS said:

I've pulled straight up, just like my others Intel CPU... :( 

Never had an Intel CPU 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Warm it up and twist before pulling.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Just now, Deli said:

I hope AMD will change to a better designed socket for AM5.

I don't,  it's so easy to use! 

Actually that's the main reason I didn't go Intel,  the way their coolers are installed...  It's just not something I'd be comfortable doing - from the looks of it!  

PS: I'm aware the way how aftermarket coolers* are installed on AM4 isn't ideal either,  which is why I use the very good stock cooler.  :)  Sooo easy to install! 

*actually,  why aren't they installed like the stock coolers with 4 screws?  They should be imo,  that clamp design doesn't make any sense and the plastic looks flimsy... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Twist and turn is what people had to do in the old days when Intel still had pins on their CPU's.  Especially with thermal pastes back then that would turn into some sort of grippy epoxy like substance when they dried out.  

Someone also said don't use the AMD stock thermal paste because it sucks like that.  Remove it and use Kryonaut or MX-4 (or use a Panasonic Soft PGS+ Graphite pad if absolute lowest temps aren't a priority)

7 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Twist and turn is what people had to do in the old days when Intel still had pins on their CPU's.  Especially with thermal pastes back then that would turn into some sort of grippy epoxy like substance when they dried out.  

Someone also said don't use the AMD stock thermal paste because it sucks like that.  Remove it and use Kryonaut or MX-4 (or use a Panasonic Soft PGS+ Graphite pad if absolute lowest temps aren't a priority)

Already said it but I had my 2200G installed with stock paste for about a year and removed it recently... It didn't stuck at all, it was still kinda fluid and soft...  I'm just wondering how come it apparently gets sticky sometimes? 

Could it be simply surface tension?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

So when i twist & turn the cooler, there's no way my CPU will have bent pins or even get out of the socket ?

23 minutes ago, AdamLBS said:

So when i twist & turn the cooler, there's no way my CPU will have bent pins or even get out of the socket ?

Heat up the CPU first.  Like, run a prime95 stress test.

Then power off and twist and turn.

As long as your thermal compound isn't epoxy, the heatsink will come off.

By twisting and turning, you're using the retention mechanism and distributing the force around the entire CPU laterally rather than having all the force going straight up like a "suction cup".  Think of it like that.  How do you remove a suction cup?

29 minutes ago, AdamLBS said:

unlikely, unless you use excessive force twisting it.