No connection to internet after an Overclock.

Hi, I have recently overclocked my 9700K to 4.7GHz and have been super stable, and today I wanted to push it a little bit more for a bit extra juice out of it, and went to 4.9GHz, on the 4.7 OC I went with auto voltage and has worked well since, and when trying to do it on 4.9GHz, when re booting it appeared I had no connection to the internet somehow.

I reset the CMOS as that was a common fix with this after overclocking but it just didn't seem to work still.

Specs: Intel i7 9700K, 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 Ram, MSI GTX 980Ti, ASRock Z390 Steel Legend

If any quick helpers could help with this would be amazing!

UPDATE: FIXED :)

Have you tried downloading the drivers onto a USB drive and installing them again?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Losing your Internet connection is not a common fault when overclocking. I have seen browser instability before when overclocking RAM but I can't say how related these events are in your case especially since removing the overclock didn't fix it.

Does the system see your Network cable as connected? If you go into the Command Prompt and run ipconfig does it see your NIC and/or say you have an IP & Default Gateway?

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Have you tried downloading the drivers onto a USB drive and installing them again?

Have not yet, will look into doing it if I can dig around and find a USB.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Losing your Internet connection is not a common fault when overclocking. I have seen browser instability before when overclocking RAM but I can't say how related these events are in your case especially since removing the overclock didn't fix it.

Does the system see your Network cable as connected? If you go into the Command Prompt and run ipconfig does it see your NIC and/or say you have an IP & Default Gateway?

I'll try that now.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Tried it and doesn't show.

Just now, chawndi said:

Tried it and doesn't show.

Any IP/Default Gateway or it doesn't show your NIC period?

This statement that “resetting CMOS is a common fix” implies that “no internet” is a common problem with over clocking?

i don’t see how messing about in bios would have anything to do with internet connectivity.  That may mean I just don’t see it though

My first suspicion is the two have nothing whatsoever to do with each other.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What sort of internet connection does this machine normally use? Wired or wireless?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This statement that “resetting CMOS is a common fix” implies that “no internet” is a common problem with over clocking?

Common problems with overclocking your CPU is Freezes, BSOD's, & Crashes/Restarts.

Common problems with overclocking your GPU are Black screens, Game crashes, Artifacting, Screen tearing, etc.

Common problems with overclocking your RAM are general system instability, Application crashes/errors, BSOD, etc.

Closest thing to losing Internet while overclocking is Specifically Google Chrome crashing due to RAM overclocking causing system instability. Losing internet connectivity and resetting CMOS not fixing it would be entirely new to me if it were in any way related to the OC.

I think it may be coincidental that the two events occurred at the same time but I think they're unrelated.

Edit: Sorry, thought you were OP. pfp is the same color.

23 minutes ago, chawndi said:

auto voltage

this is the problem I'd look into even if the browser behaved normally

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Common problems with overclocking your CPU is Freezes, BSOD's, & Crashes/Restarts.

Common problems with overclocking your GPU are Black screens, Game crashes, Artifacting, Screen tearing, etc.

Common problems with overclocking your RAM are general system instability, Application crashes/errors, BSOD, etc.

Closest thing to losing Internet while overclocking is Specifically Google Chrome crashing due to RAM overclocking causing system instability. Losing internet connectivity and resetting CMOS not fixing it would be entirely new to me if it were in any way related to the OC.

I think it may be coincidental that the two events occurred at the same time but I think they're unrelated.

Those all seem to fall under “general instability” more or less.  Resetting the CMOS should kill any overclock anyway. 

I guess what I should have said is I’ve never heard of “no internet” and only no internet being a sign of an unstable overclock.  I haven’t overclocked a machine in a while though.

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Would that even still be set after the CMOS reset though?

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Those all seem to fall under “general instability” more or less.  Resetting the CMOS should kill any overclock anyway. 

I guess what I should have said is I’ve never heard of “no internet” and only no internet being a sign of an unstable overclock.  I haven’t overclocked a machine in a while though.

I'm going to refer you to my Edit. I mistook you for OP asking a question.

6 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Not gonna lie that stood out to me too.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Auto is the BIOS default.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It wont help with sustained damage, but temporary damage should recover after clear CMOS. I can't determine the cause tho because voltage tends to kill stuff, and OP doesnt have a strong sense in voltage control.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm going to refer you to my Edit. I mistook you for OP asking a question.

Heh.  Fair enough.  There was a lack of authority there.  I’m familiar with older hardware, but I’m several generations behind on bios and a full one on windows.  I know how things used to work and how they generally work.  Settings systems give me pause though.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  Fair enough.  There was a lack of authority there.  I’m familiar with older hardware, but I’m several generations behind on bios and a full one on windows.  I know how things used to work and how they generally work.  Settings systems give me pause though.

The oldest generation of hardware I have in-depth experience with is Socket AM3. I've played with older (AM2/AM2+) but not seriously used like a day to day machine.

Motherboards back in that era had their Core/VCore voltage set to AUTO by default. Perhaps even older generations had specific set values but I've always known AUTO as the default.

Even now though when overclocking leaving it in AUTO's hands to pick the voltage isn't great. It either doesn't give it enough or gives it more than it needs for the clock. Manual adjustment is really the only way to go.

46 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The oldest generation of hardware I have in-depth experience with is Socket AM3. I've played with older (AM2/AM2+) but not seriously used like a day to day machine.

Motherboards back in that era had their Core/VCore voltage set to AUTO by default. Perhaps even older generations had specific set values but I've always known AUTO as the default.

Even now though when overclocking leaving it in AUTO's hands to pick the voltage isn't great. It either doesn't give it enough or gives it more than it needs for the clock. Manual adjustment is really the only way to go.

S’always been that way, more or less.  Back into the windows 95 era.  never know what will pop up though.  My knowledge stops near where yours starts.  Hence questions.

1 hour ago, chawndi said:

UPDATE: FIXED

How? :lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

How? :lol 

My money is he kicked the Ethernet cable.