Google launches a redesigned Youtube

Master Disaster

As of this morning YouTubes homepage now looks different. Here's the low down on the changes.

Thumbnails are bigger, video titles are longer and previews are higher resolution.

More easily find the next great video to watch: this new look includes longer video titles, bigger thumbnails, and higher resolution previews, so you can see more information about each video at a glance. As part of the new design, you’ll notice a full page grid of suggested videos rather than rows of suggested videos by category. There will still be some horizontal sections for breaking news, music mixes and more.

Channel Icons are now displayed below videos on the home page.

Recognize your favorite creators with channel icons: when browsing on Home, you’ll now see channel icons below each video, making it easier to recognize your favorite creators and the content you love. For creators – we hope this helps you get more visibility for your channel on the Homepage! 

There's now a temporary queue feature that you can add videos too, it will clear after each session expires.

Customize what to watch next with your queue: if you’re looking for a way to queue up the next video without interrupting what you’re currently watching, try out add to queue on desktop. You’ll see the queue button on every video thumbnail, or you can select “add to queue” from the three-dot menu (detailed instructions here). Note that your queue is temporary, so it won’t save after you’ve closed your browser. If you want to save videos to watch at a later time, you can still use the Watch Later playlist.

You can now block suggestions from channels you don't care about/want to see directly from the home page.

Remove suggestions from channels you don’t want to watch: in fewer steps, you can tell YouTube to stop suggesting videos from a particular channel. Just tap the three-dot menu next to a video, then “Don’t recommend channel”. After that, you should no longer see video suggestions from that channel.

They will soon be adding a topics feature so you can tell YouTube what topics you're interested in.

Coming soon – select topics to refine your Homepage and Up Next videos: earlier this year, we added a new feature to the YouTube Android app that lets you select your favorite topics and customize your Home feed with related videos. We’ll be releasing it on desktop and tablets soon! 

Source - https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/18132714

My thoughts, well I actually like the feature updates. All of them are actually useful so good job Google. It looks as though, for once, you got changes to the platform right.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Pretty sure I've noticed the changes a few days ago.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

16 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Now to make YouTube Premium cheaper, I'm not paying $10+/month just to be able to listen to videos in the background while I'm commuting.

Hiding this feature behind a paywall is ridiculous...

you'd think they'd at least want you to be able to listen to ads

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

34 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Same, maybe it's new to America? I've had it a week.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

33 minutes ago, Shally said:

From belgium here. For me it was the new one on my tablet and the old one on pc.

2 hours ago, strajk- said:

I'm not paying $10+/month just to be able to listen to videos in the background

YouTube Vanced is your best friend. /r/Vanced might help you!

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

2 hours ago, Shally said:

I'm in the UK but I did some digging and it seems as though this has been rolling out slowly since the 31st October. Most people started getting it about 4 days ago.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

For those wondering:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.88d07a1610f4f123a8a6582c044b8dfd.png

Also, EW Clickbait on my homepage

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Not seeing it on my phone at all, currently.  Found the “vanced” thing but it appears to be not loading.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Really hate the change to thumbnail size on the homepage, so much more wasted space and needed scrolling. Someone posted a userscript to Reddit a few days ago - here - which makes thumbnails small again, thankfully.

30 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

For those wondering:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.88d07a1610f4f123a8a6582c044b8dfd.png

Also, EW Clickbait on my homepage

Better to use nano adblock with nano adblocker these days, it's a fork that has better adblock-blocker-blocking action.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I never cared for homepage really. Though just seems with bigger thumbnails to incentivise clickbait. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

Yea, the linked source was updated 5 days ago. Just a late post from OP! :P

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

I hate how big the thumbnails are. I can now see less videos on my screen at once. means more scrolling.

Good, exactly what Google wanted. More time spent on their website.

2 hours ago, PHYLO said:

Good, exactly what Google wanted. More time spent on their website.

I Just go looking on hulu or amazon if I don't find any videos on youtube after searching for a few minutes.

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

As of this morning YouTubes homepage now looks different. Here's the low down on the changes.

I'm still sitting here using the old interface before the redesign back in 2017.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

My god, this looks fucking awful.

yea of course it's youtube, it's always gonna look bad, if you want the old interface like i have use a cookie editor and apply:

f6=42008&f5=30030&f4=4000000&f1=50000000

into the "PREF" (without quotes) cookie and lock it so YouTube can't change it back, this should get the old interface back (note: auto play is turned off, unsure what value this is so just a heads up)

the cookie editor i use is called "Cookie-Editor" (it's on both Firefox and chrome, the Firefox one doesn't allow cookies to be locked (so they can't be changed by the website) for some reason, it will still be ok, if it ever reverts just apply it again and it should work, if not google it)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I like the change, because on the old version you couldn't keep scrolling down and down looking through videos, it just stopped. Also I'd love to be able to block channels that I never want to see again. 

12 hours ago, strajk- said:

Now to make YouTube Premium cheaper, I'm not paying $10+/month just to be able to listen to videos in the background while I'm commuting.

Hiding this feature behind a paywall is ridiculous...

It's hilarious the things they try to advertise as a feature with that platform.  Apparently the content itself, which is really all you're paying for, isn't worth it alone so they have to try and pad it.  Obviously on desktop things will play in the background for free, and the same can be said of mobile if you do it right.  Ads are another story.  Obviously those are also easily taken care of, but at that point you cross from things that are very much not a special perk at all to things that are genuinely a perk if you want to be totally legit.  And of course then there's the content itself, but yeah, that background play always made me laugh lol.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ugh. I hate the new homepage. Everything is so big and there's fewer videos. It looks like if I zoomed in on the old homepage. It sucks.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

i just noticed last few days the thumbnail of the videos are now using gif when your cursor hovers over the video