how can i add a "custom" screensaver?

CaptainChaos025

so back in the days of 2012 i remember always watching this screensaver on my dads Dell Inspiron 9300 and i loved it to bits, but is there any way i can set that exact same screensaver up in Windows 10 on my Dell Precision M4600? 

Do you still have the .scr file?  I assume that's what it was, if I recall how those work correctly.  If so it should be simple enough to enable it.  If not, you're going to have to recreate it from scratch, which is going to require a lot of training in 3D modelling, audio engineering/music synthesis, and programming.  Or, perhaps just a bit of programming and a video downloader...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do you still have the .scr file?  I assume that's what it was, if I recall how those work correctly.  If so it should be simple enough to enable it.  If not, you're going to have to recreate it from scratch, which is going to require a lot of training in 3D modelling, audio engineering/music synthesis, and programming.  Or, perhaps just a bit of programming and a video downloader...

uh i only have the .mp4 file but that prooobably wont work?

3 minutes ago, CaptainChaos025 said:

uh i only have the .mp4 file but that prooobably wont work?

Oh was the original only ever a video?  I just assumed it was rendering that live.  Well, it should be possible to make a screensaver out of that, but I've never attempted such a thing.  Unless you want to go the route I proposed and learn to write such a thing yourself, best bet is to probably find a video loader screensaver that someone has already made... I assume something like that probably exists.  A word of warning though, afaik, screensaver files on windows are functionally equivalent to an exe and just as likely to have malware, so careful where you look.

This mentions something like what I mean, I just can't know that it or anything else is guaranteed safe: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-videos-as-screensaver-or-wallpaper-windows/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh was the original only ever a video?  I just assumed it was rendering that live.  Well, it should be possible to make a screensaver out of that, but I've never attempted such a thing.  Unless you want to go the route I proposed and learn to write such a thing yourself, best bet is to probably find a video loader screensaver that someone has already made... I assume something like that probably exists.  A word of warning though, afaik, screensaver files on windows are functionally equivalent to an exe and just as likely to have malware, so careful where you look.

This mentions something like what I mean, I just can't know that it or anything else is guaranteed safe: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-videos-as-screensaver-or-wallpaper-windows/

well i think it was a .scr file on that laptop but that laptop has been dead for years and i just found that exact video on Youtube and downloaded it. nah i dont know anything about 3D modelling, and yeah iim just looking for a way to get it to work

Just now, CaptainChaos025 said:

well i think it was a .scr file on that laptop but that laptop has been dead for years and i just found that exact video on Youtube and downloaded it. nah i dont know anything about 3D modelling, and yeah iim just looking for a way to get it to work

Ah, well, you could grab the thing I linked (or something like it) and just plug that video in, or if you feel like pulling that old laptop apart, it's possible the file is still retrievable even if the rest of the hardware is nonfunctional.  You might even be able to find that same screensaver online somewhere if you get lucky.