Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jae Tee

Raid0.....uh.....help

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi. My pc is low on storage as everything is currently on my nvme boot drive (240gb). So i got ahold of 2 identical hdd and want to run them in raid 0 for the extra speed (i think). My gigabyte b350 mobo. has some type of raid setup but every time I set it up, it won't show up in windows 10. What am i doing wrong, or what should I do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Did you follow the instructions in your motherboard manual?

Thrown out a while ago. But i did follow all on screen instructions, im just sure im missing something. 

 

I also tried using windows storage spaces, but just kept giving me an error telling me to check my connections (i did)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Thrown out a while ago. But i did follow all on screen instructions, im just sure im missing something. 

 

I also tried using windows storage spaces, but just kept giving me an error telling me to check my connections (i did)

What specific motherboard is it and what are the hard drives you're using?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

In storage space, is this the same as a raid 0(will this give me the extra speed of raid 0), or is it just pooling the resources in any other fasion? 

 

BTW, only JUST got this far in "windows storage space". 

1573530280491333443267909938322.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you got into Windows did you partition the RAID volume? It's not going to magically appear once you've setup the RAID in the BIOS.


Guides & Tutorials:

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Build Your Own DAS

 

In the Queue:

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When you got into Windows did you partition the RAID volume? It's not going to magically appear once you've setup the RAID in the BIOS.

Didn't show up, even in task manager. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

In storage space, is this the same as a raid 0(will this give me the extra speed of raid 0), or is it just pooling the resources in any other fasion? 

 

BTW, only JUST got this far in "windows storage space". 

1573530280491333443267909938322.jpg

can you show the storage spaces error?

 

ALso use powershell for storages spaces as the gui sucks and doesn't let you set number of collums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you show the storage spaces error?

 

ALso use powershell for storages spaces as the gui sucks and doesn't let you set number of collums.

No error as i got through for some reason. Just want to know if this will get me what I want or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

No error as i got through for some reason. Just want to know if this will get me what I want or not.

It will. A simple volume in Storage Spaces is the equivalent to RAID0.


Guides & Tutorials:

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Build Your Own DAS

 

In the Queue:

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Perfect! Thanks. Can i expect it to work as if it was at a bios level, or do you get what you get?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It will. A simple volume in Storage Spaces is the equivalent to RAID0.

well you need to set number of collums to 2 to get the speed bump

 

8 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Perfect! Thanks. Can i expect it to work as if it was at a bios level, or do you get what you get?

Yea, storage spaces is much better than motherboard raid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

well you need to set number of collums to 2 to get the speed bump

I was thinking about columns while typing that and knew you were going to catch me on not mentioning it.

 

If Storage Spaces work more or less the same on Windows Server 2016 as it does on Windows 10 then by default the column size should be equal to the number of disks during initial setup no?


Guides & Tutorials:

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Build Your Own DAS

 

In the Queue:

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

f Storage Spaces work more or less the same on Windows Server 2016 as it does on Windows 10 then by default the column size should be equal to the number of disks during initial setup no?

Im pretty sure storage spaces will do one column  by default in win10 and server 2012+

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jae Tee said:

Didn't show up, even in task manager. 

Enabling RAID in the BIOS isn't enough, you then have to go in the storage configuration and actually assign drives and create a volume.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im pretty sure storage spaces will do one column  by default in win10 and server 2012+

Really? I'll need to double-check it but I'm certain for my SSD RAID10 server it automatically set the column side to 2 when I assembled the pool. I went trough a lot of trouble to make it 2 and I made it happen by just making a pool of 4 disks then adding the rest after. The 2 impacting the width of the RAID0 in that 10. I didn't do any PowerShell configuring to set it.


Guides & Tutorials:

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Build Your Own DAS

 

In the Queue:

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×