Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lenovo1984

New AM4 build suggestions

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am planning to build a new AM4 based system soon. I would like to use a Ryzen 7 CPU, but because of budget limitations I will be going with a Ryzen 5 2600 for now. I am looking for recommendations for an ATX motherboard, a PSU, RAM and an SSD. I already have a 4GB RX 570 that I will be using. As for budget, I am looking for a motherboard around $120, an SSD (NVMe) around $70-80 (doesn't need to be big, I have plenty of mass storage), around $60-70 for RAM and $60-70 for the PSU. Thanks for the help. 

 

Edit: I should add that the SSD isn't super important. I have a spare 1TB SATA drive I can use, but it is a few years old at this point. 


Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Link to post
Share on other sites

wouldnt getting a sata ssd for now and just get a 3600 instead a better choice? and i think you can get away with b450 boards with it . i think there are even bundles available which makes it cheaper when getting the 3600.


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

PS: i cooled a Ryzen 5 3600(65W) with ID cooling SE207 (200W-250W tdp lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites

what's your budget for everything? need os/monitor/peripherals?


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Martin2132 said:

wouldnt getting a sata ssd for now and just get a 3600 instead a better choice? and i think you can get away with b450 boards with it . i think there are even bundles available which makes it cheaper when getting the 3600.

I don't really need the SSD, I already have a 1TB SATA SSD, but I was mostly just wondering about suggestions. As for the CPU, I would like to get the 2600 for now as I will be moving it to a smaller NAS later on down the line. 

 

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

what's your budget for everything? need os/monitor/peripherals?

Probably about $300 USD. I don't need any peripherals or OS. 


Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Probably about $300 USD. I don't need any peripherals or OS. 

$300 for the entire rig minus the GPU?


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

i think you can get away with b450 boards with it

If you get a B450 board for a 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU, you'll have to update the BIOS to have it work. It seems like OP doesn't have a 1st or 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU to update the board, I would get a 2nd Gen CPU, or an X570 board, or wait until B550 boards are released.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

$300 for the entire rig minus the GPU?

No, just what I listed above: motherboard, RAM, PSU and possibly SSD. 

 

Just now, Darpyface said:

If you get a B450 board for a 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU, you'll have to update the BIOS to have it work. It seems like OP doesn't have a 1st or 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU to update the board, I would get a 2nd Gen CPU, or an X570 board, or wait until B550 boards are released.

I will be using a Ryzen 5 2600 for now, so that won't be an issue. 


Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Darpyface said:

If you get a B450 board for a 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU, you'll have to update the BIOS to have it work. It seems like OP doesn't have a 1st or 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU to update the board, I would get a 2nd Gen CPU, or an X570 board, or wait until B550 boards are released.

There are b450 boards that are readily available for third gen ryzen. 


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

PS: i cooled a Ryzen 5 3600(65W) with ID cooling SE207 (200W-250W tdp lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $254.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 20:30 EST-0500

Edited by Herman Mcpootis

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $254.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 20:30 EST-0500

Thanks, that looks pretty decent. Any thoughts on the B450-F Gaming board?


Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lenovo1984 said:

Thanks, that looks pretty decent. Any thoughts on the B450-F Gaming board?

sucks for the price, VRM temperatures are borderline with an overclocked 2700x.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

sucks for the price, VRM temperatures are borderline with an overclocked 2700x.

Oh, OK. Thanks for the help. 


Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×