Appeal of devices like Alexa?

Paul Siu

This is not a criticism of the usage of the device, but what is the appeal of a device like Alexa Echo or google home. I often hear people talking about ordering toilet paper, but that is hardly a use case that justify the device. Couldn't I use alexa or google through my smartphone? Is the device use mostly for streaming music, controlling smart appliances, etc? I am curious to know how everyone uses these smart devices (I don't even know what to call them)?

Paul

I use my HomePod (yes I know Siri sucks Bs.) to listen to music. The sound is fantastic compared to other Bluethoot and streaming boxes

Besides that I control my HomeKit with it sometimes. But mostly I do this on my phone or watch.

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

the appeal is that those types of services will listen to words spoken when you think its off, and those services will cater to their every need.

To some extent its laziness, thats the appeal which is human nature.

Use a google home to turn on lights, tell me weather, set timers, play music, convert measurements while cooking, etc.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

They're glorified internet-connected speakers that generally also support Bluetooth, with the assistants on them.

The smart assistant stuff I've seen my friends using is generally slower and less accurate, in my experience, than typing a query into a phone and reading the results.

However, they can be quite nice for music (though I've had some very inconsistent experiences with Alexa), can sound decent, and if you have multiple, can be nice for a speaker in every room, and your smart assistant with that, if you can use it enough to justify it.

I still don't see the appeal of them for myself, even if the devices are super cheap. Plus, they're listening!!!1111

Sig under construction.

6 minutes ago, Tedster said:

I still don't see the appeal of them for myself, even if the devices are super cheap. Plus, they're listening!!!1111

yup

even transcribing and translating to send back to HQ to "optimize" services LOL

need info on a prescription drug - valuable info sold to pharmaceutical companies

4 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

yup

even transcribing and translating to send back to HQ to "optimize" services LOL

need info on a prescription drug - valuable info sold to pharmaceutical companies

never knew u were hiding something....

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

I have no idea, I like knobs, buttons and switches.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

25 minutes ago, Paul Siu said:

This is not a criticism of the usage of the device, but what is the appeal of a device like Alexa Echo or google home. I often hear people talking about ordering toilet paper, but that is hardly a use case that justify the device. Couldn't I use alexa or google through my smartphone? Is the device use mostly for streaming music, controlling smart appliances, etc? I am curious to know how everyone uses these smart devices (I don't even know what to call them)?

Paul

They're great for the following:

• playing music
  • playing podcasts
  • playing E books
  • controlling smart devices (lightbulbs, thermostats, smart plugs, etc)
  • ordering more of something u always need and know what one u want. AKA toilet paper or soap y waste time when u know what u want everytime and aren't browsing for new ones.
  • queries for random things Alexa is much better then Siri so I use her instead.
  • Setting reminders cause (hey siri) sucks as always)
  • setting alarms
  • making lists

In summary its what our phones can do but with better mics, speaker, and it actually does its job well unlike our shitty phones.

Also if your worried about it listening all the time. Your not wrong but it really doesn't matter, for one reason which is that the more u try to hide from it the more they watch u. So take the advice and stop being put on lists cause "YOU THINK" your protecting your privacy. U never were your just putting a target on you saying hey I have something to hide. The best thing u can do is try your best to blend into the pack if u want any real privacy.

20 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

They're great for the following:

- gathering personal information

- selling that personal information

- making and playing playlists

- asking alexa how old it is

Just now, amdorintel said:

- gathering personal information

- selling that personal information

- making and playing playlists

- asking alexa how old it is

So take the advice and stop being put on lists cause "YOU THINK" your protecting your privacy. U never were your just putting a target on you saying hey I have something to hide. The best thing u can do is try your best to blend into the pack if u want any real privacy.

Just now, Caroline said:

idk, to me having one of those things would be as pointless as keeping a giant rock in the middle of my bedroom, except the rock wouldn't monitor everything I say and do though.

So take the advice and stop being put on lists cause "YOU THINK" your protecting your privacy. U never were your just putting a target on you saying hey I have something to hide. The best thing u can do is try your best to blend into the pack if u want any real privacy...

13 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Yeah I have something to hide because I don't want f*cking Google to know when I'm taking a dump or Spotify how much times I repeat "All Star".

I don't even use their services yet I have a pretty normal life. I'm not obliged to use Google, Amazon, Facebook or whatever, or to buy "smart" devices.

What are they gonna do about it? Send some black SUVs to my door? No problem I'll let the agents come in and have some tea and raisin cookies because I'm not doing anything illegal inside my house.

LOL BEST answer so far!

But you're kinda right. Thats one aspect of why I use Apple. Sure there also not perfect, but way more privacy than others. BUT that's at the cost of Siris "intelligence"

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

Yeah I have something to hide because I don't want f*cking Google to know when I'm taking a dump or Spotify how much times I repeat "All Star".

I don't even use their services yet I have a pretty normal life. I'm not obliged to use Google, Amazon, Facebook or whatever, or to buy "smart" devices.

What are they gonna do about it? Send some black SUVs to my door? No problem I'll let the agents come in and have some tea and raisin cookies because I'm not doing anything illegal inside my house.

What I said is that u can't avoid them even if u tried, Every device can be tapped if it touches the internet. Snowden showed us that, long ago. I get it u think your being funny but sorry your really not. Privacy was entirely given up when we created the internet decades ago, if u people wanted privacy then u should have made the early corps change things. BUT U DIDNT and now we're stuck with this pile of shit.

Laugh all u want but again the more u hide the more they see u. So stop acting as if your somehow avoiding anything, to think u could even manage something that simple is hilarious....

Edited by Spotty

11 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

LOL BEST answer so far!

But you're kinda right. Thats one aspect of why I use Apple. Sure there also not perfect, but way more privacy than others. BUT that's at the cost of Siris "intelligence"

Its cute how falsely safe u think u are. So blind yet so blissfully ignorant.

1 minute ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Its cute how falsely safe u think u are. So blind yet so blissfully ignorant.

No homie! I dont think I am save at all!

Just SAVER than on other platforms.

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Use a google home to turn on lights, tell me weather, set timers, play music, convert measurements while cooking, etc.

This is pretty much what I use it for as well.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Metallus97 said:

No homie! I dont think I am save at all!

Just SAVER than on other platforms.

Thats like saying I'm safe cause I have a bulletproof vest on. But your using it to defend against a tank round....

Your logic is truly undeniable. ?

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

everyone has priorities, some dont mind co's knowing everything about them

Sure, but I think this is exactly the problem we have in todays society. I mean people hand over information willingly (Facebook, Instagram etc) to show themselves in a better light and let everone see how nice their live is... I cant stand this self-presentation.

Sooooo when peeps do this its obvious that they have no fear about smart assistants knowing about them etc.

2 hours ago, Paul Siu said:

Paul

I basically use my home when it's plugged in to find my phone that I misplaced. I mean they are handy for stuff and they practically give them away I just don't really care

my friend asks his alexa to flip a coin whenever he has trouble making a decision

Just now, spartaman64 said:

my friend asks his alexa to flip a coin whenever he has trouble making a decision

lol ok i doo this to /w siri 

I always find it funny that people get crazy defensive in their paranoia over smart speakers, yet carry a smartphone on them all day that has far more capability to gather information.

Me, I really don't care. Google and the others provide a plethora of free services. I'd much rather have them have an advertising profile on me than have to pay monthly subscriptions for the litany of free stuff I use every day.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

The appeal as I see it, is being able to do interactions while your hands are busy doing other stuff. And sure it's maybe just a few seconds saved compared to stopping whatever you're doing and pulling out your smartphone, but it can be a nice alternative to have.