Upgrade In January or Wait + Specs Help

Artollas

Currently I have a 1060 6GB and an i5 6600k OC @ 4.2Ghz, I was thinking of upgrading in the first days of january (New Year) to an i9-9900k and an RTX 2080 Super, while getting a 970 evo plus.

The thing is, ive been hearing about the rumors of the new 30XX cards coming early 2020, should I wait? or should I buy it anyways in 2020.

Also should I buy 2x 500 GB 970 Evo plus and raid 0 or just buy 1tb?

I was thinking of buying thw Z390 Aorus Pro, any other recommendations?

Thank you.

EDIT: Aorus Pro, not Aorus Master

8 minutes ago, Artollas said:

Currently I have a 1060 6GB and an i5 6600k OC @ 4.2Ghz, I was thinking of upgrading in the first days of january (New Year) to an i9-9900k and an RTX 2080 Super, while getting a 970 evo plus.

The thing is, ive been hearing about the rumors of the new 30XX cards coming early 2020, should I wait? or should I buy it anyways in 2020.

Thank you.

1060 is enough you know. how about split buy?

CPU and SSD at december Sales. and GPU after release?.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Get a 1TB SSD, not a two 500gb. More hassle and points of failure with two drives. though you could save some money and get a roughly  the same performing ssd like the adata 8200 pro  or sambrent rocket or if you want to save even more, get a 660p. If its just for os and games, you won't notice any difference between all of the ssds.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Do you really need that kind of CPU power? What do you intend on doing besides gaming? It's multiple times the performance of your current one. The fastest 8 core CPU only to run games seems like a waste.

I don't believe we will have a new Nvidia GPU gen before Q2. And with Nvidia at launch you rarely get more performance for the same money anyway. I wouldn't wait.

For the SSD, it depends for crucial RAID 0 is for you. It you work on very critical projects and never back-up, then I guess it makes sense... If you are a pretty normal user, than no, go for just one drive.

4 minutes ago, Crowcore said:

Do you really need that kind of CPU power? What do you intend on doing besides gaming? It's multiple times the performance of your current one. The fastest 8 core CPU only to run games seems like a waste.

I don't believe we will have a new Nvidia GPU gen before Q2. And with Nvidia at launch you rarely get more performance for the same money anyway. I wouldn't wait.

For the SSD, it depends for crucial RAID 0 is for you. It you work on very critical projects and never back-up, then I guess I makes sense... If you are a pretty normal user, than no, go for one.

Thanks for your reply, Im taking a programmign course, wich means that I will indeed have to use my CPU for more than gaming, I will go with 1 TB NVMe, as you suggested, I dont really plan to overclock my cpu, but I do plan to overclock my GPU do you think that 650W is enough?

5 minutes ago, Crowcore said:

For the SSD, it depends for crucial RAID 0 is for you. It you work on very critical projects and never back-up, then I guess I makes sense... If you are a pretty normal user, than no, go for one.

Thanks for your reply, Ill go with the 1TB NVMe then, thank you.

20 minutes ago, Artollas said:

Thanks for your reply, Im taking a programmign course, wich means that I will indeed have to use my CPU for more than gaming, I will go with 1 TB NVMe, as you suggested, I dont really plan to overclock my cpu, but I do plan to overclock my GPU do you think that 650W is enough?

9900k and 2080ti will be fine with 650. Both OC'ed and under hard stress conditions should be in ~600s. So for 2080 super will be no problem whatsoever. Mobo choice is great, SSD 1TB better (more head for improvement later) as for waiting, there is always something to wait for, so best is to just buy what is available.. :) Since you are buying in Jan, wait for news till then, but doubtful that Nvidia will have anything before late Q2 or Q3.. You can always use your 1060 if you are doubting.

3 hours ago, Artollas said:

Thank you.

there wont be any release of a 3000 series card in early 2020. Use your common sense, Nvidia releases on huge showstages like CES.
CES is 7th January? Okay if they would release 30series cards in January we would have way more Rumors, way more leaks like benchmarks or designs.Techtuber would probably already tell us to wait if we want to buy stuff, but they do the direct opposite right now. I formyself need more than a rumor which says "a guy i know was told by a guy he knows that 30series cards will come early 2020 and will have better efficiency and better RTX" (surprise #Kappa).

It is rumored that AiB's just started to talk with nvidia about the design, which including certification/testing needs about 9month to 1year to be done. So earliest we would theoretically see, when using common sense, 3000series cards is probably summer 2020. Nvidia doesnt even have any pressure, only thing AMD releases on CES this year is notebook crap...

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

27 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

there wont be any release of a 3000 series card in early 2020. Use your common sense, Nvidia releases on huge showstages like CES.
CES is 7th January? Okay if they would release 30series cards in January we would have way more Rumors, way more leaks like benchmarks or designs.Techtuber would probably already tell us to wait if we want to buy stuff, but they do the direct opposite right now. I formyself need more than a rumor which says "a guy i know was told by a guy he knows that 30series cards will come early 2020 and will have better efficiency and better RTX" (surprise #Kappa).

It is rumored that AiB's just started to talk with nvidia about the design, which including certification/testing needs about 9month to 1year do be done. So earliest we would theoretically see, when using common sense, 3000series cards is probably summer 2020. Nvidia doesnt even have any pressure, only thing AMD releases on CES this year is notebook crap...

Thank you for the rough but informative reply. Cleared a lot of my doubts :)

1 hour ago, Envit0 said:

9900k and 2080ti will be fine with 650. Both OC'ed and under hard stress conditions should be in ~600s. So for 2080 super will be no problem whatsoever. Mobo choice is great, SSD 1TB better (more head for improvement later) as for waiting, there is always something to wait for, so best is to just buy what is available.. :) Since you are buying in Jan, wait for news till then, but doubtful that Nvidia will have anything before late Q2 or Q3.. You can always use your 1060 if you are doubting.

Thanks alot, if there is no news by january, I will end up buying it as planned. :)

10 hours ago, Artollas said:

I was thinking of upgrading in the first days of january (New Year) to an i9-9900k

Why? For a much lower price a Ryzen 7 3800x has better performance in every way once you turn on PBO.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

If you're doing programming and gaming you might be better served on a Ryzen system. I used a laptop with a Ryzen 5 2600U while I did my IT degree, which included everything from spooling up multiple VMs to scripting in Powershell and bash, Python programming, and working with the Microsoft ADK/SDK, Azure and AWS, etc. It never had a problem with anything, and this was a 2-in-1 little bitty laptop. It kicked my desktop's ass at the time til I upgraded that to a Ryzen 5 3600. I'd definitely look into going that route since you could save yourself a lot of money while still getting the kind of performance you're looking for.