should i get 4x8 or 2x16?

so i just bought a new motherboard and cpu (aorus master and I9-9900K) and was wondering if i should buy the corsair rgb pro ram 2x8 3000 mhz cl 15  and buy it twice so i can have 4x8-32 gb because there on sale on best buy. Or wait until there is a sale on 2x16 ram.

I would be upgrading from this - https://www.newegg.com/geil-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820158237?Description=geil 2133&cm_re=geil_2133-_-20-158-237-_-Product

Also i mainly game on 1080p and watch youtube or twitch on my PC.

9900K support dual-channel

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

12 hours ago, Wolfycapt said:

9900K support dual-channel

what does that mean as i am sort off new to all this sorry 

does that mean i can only have 2 ram sticks put in and not 4 ?

3 minutes ago, ThyAlex said:

yes. and also 9900k support 2666mhz. so your 3000mhz ram will stuck at 2666. just FYI

12 hours ago, Wolfycapt said:

yes.

oohhh so why does my board have 4 slots ? if only 2 can be used ?

and with knowing this should i get 2x8 3200 mhz or 2x16 3000 mhz ?

1 minute ago, ThyAlex said:

oohhh so why does my board have 4 slots ? if only 2 can be used ?

and with knowing this should i get 2x8 3200 mhz or 2x16 3000 mhz ?

its like if one pair is broken then you could use the other Pair of slot. and marketing sake too.

gaming? 2 X 8. Working? 2 X 16. streaming 16 is enough usually but its depend

21 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

yes. and also 9900k support 2666mhz. so your 3000mhz ram will stuck at 2666. just FYI

No, the J-dec spec for minimum speed is 2666mhz.  3000mhz will work with zero issues, all it takes is turning on XMP

22 minutes ago, ThyAlex said:

Nope, every RAM channel = up to 2 DIMM slots, and the ability to take 2 DIMMs.  This means that a quad channel board (x99/x299) will have 4-8 slots, and a dual channel board between 2-4 slots.  ALL work, and to put it as simply as possible you want to have your RAM spread between channels as evenly as possible - in a normal mobo, the farthest left slot should be filled first, followed by the one that is two slots to the right, making a 1 slot gap between the sticks.  You continue this pattern until all slots are filled.

16 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

its like if one pair is broken then you could use the other Pair of slot. and marketing sake too.

gaming? 2 X 8. Working? 2 X 16. streaming 16 is enough usually but its depend

You make me upset, go educate yourself before spewing bad advice that will cost people time, money and brain cells

@ThyAlex ignore Wolfy, they have no clue and are talking out their ass.  You need 32gb now, so either works.  If you'll need more in the future, dual 16gb DIMMs are the superior option as they will allow you to fill the two empty slots with an additional 2 16 or 8gb dimms.  Definitely worth a small price premium in the long run IMO

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

12 hours ago, Damascus said:

No, the J-dec spec for minimum speed is 2666mhz.  3000mhz will work with zero issues, all it takes is turning on XMP

Nope, every RAM channel = up to 2 DIMM slots, and the ability to take 2 DIMMs.  This means that a quad channel board (x99/x299) will have 4-8 slots, and a dual channel board between 2-4 slots.  ALL work, and to put it as simply as possible you want to have your RAM spread between channels as evenly as possible - in a normal mobo, the farthest left slot should be filled first, followed by the one that is two slots to the right, making a 1 slot gap between the sticks.  You continue this pattern until all slots are filled.

You make me upset, go educate yourself before spewing bad advice that will cost people time, money and brain cells

@ThyAlex ignore Wolfy, they have no clue and are talking out their ass.  You need 32gb now, so either works.  If you'll need more in the future, dual 16gb DIMMs are the superior option as they will allow you to fill the two empty slots with an additional 2 16 or 8gb dimms.  Definitely worth a small price premium in the long run IMO

ahhh okay i was kind off confused because i saw youtube vids of ppl using all 4 slots with a 9900K so i was lost. and also i dont plan to go any higher than 32 GB should i still go for 2x16 or 4x8 ?

2 minutes ago, ThyAlex said:

ahhh okay i was kind off confused because i saw youtube vids of ppl using all 4 slots with a 9900K so i was lost. and also i dont plan to go any higher than 32 GB should i still go for 2x16 or 4x16 ?

The difference isn't huge either way, and 4x8 will look more full.  I would personally get 2x16, as I like to leave a bit of room but it really doesn't matter much at all

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

One major question though is do you need that much memory for what you do?  If it’s just gaming there’s only just barely a need for 8gb.  16gb just gives extra room.  It’s other stuff where more memory gets important.  There’s a decent argument for 4x4 in some situations if it’s really cheap. (Does need to be cheap though) In your position I’d probably get 2x8 and just leave it unless I wanted to do something besides game.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One major question though is do you need that much memory for what you do?  If it’s just gaming there’s only just barely a need for 8gb.  16gb just gives extra room.  It’s other stuff where more memory gets important.  There’s a decent argument for 4x4 in some situations if it’s really cheap. (Does need to be cheap though) In your position I’d probably get 2x8 and just leave it unless I wanted to do something besides game.

Yea, i know its a bit overkill thats why im happy to just get 32 gb also i am going to test if there is that much of a difference if not ill give my brother a pair of 2x8 since he is in the process of building his own PC too.

20191110_204305.jpg

20191110_204321.jpg

*** Thread cleaned ***

Our CS doesn't have anything against one being misinformed, or even spreading misinformation. However, doing such constantly is way of trolling. Just keep that in mind.

I have 4 channels, all in use 4x4gb, running dual channel, reading as 16gigs. Only drawback is that one pair is slower than the other, so I'm stuck with that slower speed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Our CS doesn't have anything against one being misinformed, or even spreading misinformation. However, doing such constantly is way of trolling. Just keep that in mind.

I have 4 channels, all in use 4x4gb, running dual channel, reading as 16gigs. Only drawback is that one pair is slower than the other, so I'm stuck with that slower speed.

sorry i missiinformation my apology @Damascus.

itll read 32 GB from using 4 slot. but the bandwith stay same.

4 sticks, because it looks baller. 

Only reason I’m gonna do it again now that’s it’s the age of rgb. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 11/10/2019 at 11:31 PM, Bombastinator said:

Oh yeah?  Go & try play some Rust with just 8 gigs & see how that works out for you.  16 gigs & multi-threading is fast becoming the standard for newer gaming titles.  

1 hour ago, Timmah! said:

Oh yeah?  Go & try play some Rust with just 8 gigs & see how that works out for you.  16 gigs & multi-threading is fast becoming the standard for newer gaming titles.  

But no 32gb then still. It sounds like we agree with each other.  4x4 is 16gb. He was asking if he should get a mere 16gb with 8gb sticks to make a total of 32gb of space, or buy 16 gb sticks to make room for 64gb.  I suppose if he wanted to run multiple games in background 32gb could be useful.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.