Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tonyboss

Noctua Air cooling for 3900x/3950x

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

hello.

Help on decide which is one Noctua Air Cooling for 3900x / 3950x

The noctuas will by installed inside a Meshify C 170mm clearance.
I would love to have Chromax to build a black theme. If not possible due to the low options on chromax line i will stick with normal ones.
NH-U12A 100% Ram clearance
NH-D15S
NH-D15 (this ones have both chromax and normals)

I am afraid of the biggest one because the Ram Clearance.
Ram will be G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL4

Any toughts about it?
Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-nh-d15-and-how-much-clearance-does-it-provide-for-ram-and-chipset-coolers

 

To revise what I said, D15 will fit the RAM, but you may have to reposition the fans a bit higher if doing dual fan in the stock configuration. Since the CPU clearance is limited to 170mm in that case... yeah, you might have a problem with that RAM. I would get Corsair Vengeance LPX (31mm height, so you definitely won't have a problem fitting them) if you can, otherwise 3900X with U12A would be more viable. Or just don't use a fan on the motherboard side of the D15.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Using the U12A on my 3900X and it handles it very well even with PBO.

I wouldn't do it for the 3950X (at least not without seeing reputable benchmarks), but the 3900X for sure.

Can you please tell me max temps on full load?
I am on ArchViz work and i do a lot of CPU render intense taks as well 3D modeling.
I am looking for a stable ryzen turbo clocks without any throttling.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

D15/S!

 You need best cooling for that beast of a CPU!

switch the RAM to Corsair LPX great ram and verry smal 


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, ZivZulander said:

https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-nh-d15-and-how-much-clearance-does-it-provide-for-ram-and-chipset-coolers

 

To revise what I said, D15 will fit the RAM, but you may have to reposition the fans a bit higher if doing dual fan in the stock configuration. Since the CPU clearance is limited to 170mm in that case... yeah, you might have a problem with that RAM. I would get Corsair Vengeance LPX (31mm height, so you definitely won't have a problem fitting them) if you can, otherwise 3900X with U12A would be more viable. Or just don't use a fan on the motherboard side of the D15.

Do you think the Nocuta NF-U12A will be good enought for no throttling when i pusch cpu for rendering task?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

Do you think the Nocuta NF-U12A will be good enought for no throttling when i pusch cpu for rendering task?

It should be enough but not be as silent and fast to react to quick in power spikes as a D15.

therefore strong recommendation to get a D15 and possibly smaller RAM


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Here in portugal Corsair LPX 3200Mhz CL14 2x16 + 1x16Gb is out of stock for some while. ?
Only have CL16 latency.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

It should be enough but not be near as silent quick in power spikes as a D15

therefore strong recommendation to get a D15 and possibly smaller RAM

What about NH-D15S (it comes with one 140mm fan, in the middle, and then i buy a 120mm fan for pull config?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

What about NH-D15S (it comes with one 140mm fan, in the middle, and then i buy a 120mm fan for pull config?)

I think that would work well both for compatibility and for cooling performance, particularly as Meshify C is front mesh. With good fans in front (I would go for 2x 140mm), you should be good on keeping CPU cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

What about NH-D15S (it comes with one 140mm fan, in the middle, and then i buy a 120mm fan for pull config?)

Excellent solution! Get a NF-F12 or if you’re fancy a NF-A12 

 


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, ZivZulander said:

I think that would work well both for compatibility and for cooling performance, particularly as Meshify C is front mesh. With good fans in front (I would go for 2x 140mm), you should be good on keeping CPU cool.

I am thinking in full fill Meshify with those:

Front - 2x 140mm Noctua NF-A14P PWM (intake)
Top - 2x 140mm Noctua NF-A140 PWM (exhaust - despite i have read when intake it give better results)

Rear - 1x 120mm NF-a12x25 PWM (exhaust)

CPU - NH-U12A (because of the ram clearance and i prefer low CAS latency)
I am afraid of this cooling cpu to rapidly achieve 90º celcius when rendering. And i do not trust in AIO yet.

After this i am looking for a good Mobo with good VRM to keep this chilling and fresh. I do not have intent to go OC. Just need a stable machine for work.
Any thought?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

Can you please tell me max temps on full load?
I am on ArchViz work and i do a lot of CPU render intense taks as well 3D modeling.
I am looking for a stable ryzen turbo clocks without any throttling.
 

Right now I'm running a render @ 3.94GHz all core under 100% 80C. Mind you this is in a full rack, so other hot components around it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

I am thinking in full fill Meshify with those:

Front - 2x 140mm Noctua NF-A14P PWM (intake)
Top - 2x 140mm Noctua NF-A140 PWM (exhaust - despite i have read when intake it give better results)

Rear - 1x 120mm NF-a12x25 PWM (exhaust)

CPU - NH-U12A (because of the ram clearance and i prefer low CAS latency)
I am afraid of this cooling cpu to rapidly achieve 90º celcius when rendering. And i do not trust in AIO yet.

After this i am looking for a good Mobo with good VRM to keep this chilling and fresh. I do not have intent to go OC. Just need a stable machine for work.
Any thought?

120mm Case fans: 

NF-A12 is the best fan period, but depending on how much pressure you need a NF-S12 would move a bit more air  per RPM and cost 1/3 less.

 

CPU cooler: I think the U12 will be fine but will have to run at high speed. 
Are you maybe comfortable with modding? I once cut away some fins to make room for my ram. Worked verry  well 

 

 


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Right now I'm running a render @ 3.94GHz all core under 100% 80C. Mind you this is in a full rack, so other hot components around it.

Fanspeed Setting?


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. If you get the D15, you'll have to mount the fan on the left of the two fin stacks. Could still maintain airflow direction if you wish. Trident Z RGB is 44mm tall, but you dont have extra 9mm of space for raising the fan.

 

2. 3200 CL14 is meant for getting Samsung B-die, but its advantage over SK Hynix CFR/CJR and Micron Rev.E is nearly entirely mitigated by Ryzen's memory controller working better with the other dies mentioned. In other words, only do this with Intel platforms and higher budget. 3600 CL16 and 3733 CL17 kits are better than 3200 CL14 for your use case, only drop back to 3200MHz if you cant afford them


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

1300 RPM (capped since they're capable of 3000 RPM but I don't expect him to be using Noctua Industrial)

KK, that ain’t to bad. That should not be to loud. Impressive how much this 120mm thing can do 


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

1. If you get the D15, you'll have to mount the fan on the left of the two fin stacks. Could still maintain airflow direction if you wish. Trident Z RGB is 44mm tall, but you dont have extra 9mm of space for raising the fan.

 

2. 3200 CL14 is meant for getting Samsung B-die, but its advantage over SK Hynix CFR/CJR and Micron Rev.E is nearly entirely mitigated by Ryzen's memory controller working better with the other dies mentioned. In other words, only do this with Intel platforms and higher budget. 3600 CL16 and 3733 CL17 kits are better than 3200 CL14 for your use case, only drop back to 3200MHz if you cant afford them

Thanks.
I work with a lot of object mesh polygons and their algorithms allocate tasks better inside ram when loading objects. At my office i have multiple machines and i don't know exactly why but low latency response better in that type of work. The other machines has CAS 16 and it felt a bit slow to response when render starts and stops.

I think if i choose D15S i can add a small 120mm fan over the RAM sticks right? Because i will fill all 4 ram slots to have 64 gb.
The noise of the fans are not a big deal for me. I always work with headphones. ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

KK, that ain’t to bad. That should not be to loud. Impressive how much this 120mm thing can do 

Yeah, it's supposed to rival a D14 and while I've never owned one, it certainly seems like it does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

I think if i choose D15S i can add a small 120mm fan over the RAM sticks right?

Yes


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

is there some one u can explain or link me about the main difference about Noctuas propeller fans design types?Insert other media

Noctua themselves have pretty helpful material 

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-performance-comparison-to-nf-f12-and-nf-s12a?___from_store=de


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Thanks.
I am studding that right now. Hurry! Hurry! Tomorrow morning i have to fill the request parts list because here in my country Noctuas have a high time wainting list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×