why filter on top of case

thrasher_565

hmm this gets me thinking that we may have been seeing cases and the front panel problems were there little space for air to get in and a filter (there are case that do have good front intake and a solid front panel so keep that in mind but cheap case normally don't)

intake form the top, bottom (if you can) and out the front may solve problems.... of air flow that is. the gpu wont be dumping air at the cpu instead it be drawn to the front.

even if you intake from the back and out the top and bottom out the front (just might need to add a filter to the back fan)

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

So what about filtered bottoms and sides?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

So what about filtered bottoms and sides?

well we no that any filter going to decrees performance that just clear that up. and 99% cases now uses temperd glass so that kills the need for a side. but side will help gpu temps and maybe even cpu hmm

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

If you have negative air pressure with no top fan the filter will minimize any dust from being brought in through that opening.

Also it just stops dust from getting in through the top when the computer isn't in use or while dusting off the top of the case.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

9 minutes ago, Votivee said:

If you have negative air pressure with no top fan the filter will minimize any dust from being brought in through that opening.

Also it just stops dust from getting in through the top when the computer isn't in use or while dusting off the top of the case.

ya that's true i guess for thows fanless builds air can just flow to the top and out.

a vertical gpu will allow for the bottom fans to be more useful for the mb and cpu. hands down a 90 degree mb the best you can get but there not many of them, they offen look weird, or are costly.

i remember a case were the mb was centered in the case so you could have air from the bottom, both sides and out the top. it may have even been a 90 mb. it may have been a evga case...

in Win 909 case it was

26 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

well we no that any filter going to decrees performance that just clear that up. and 99% cases now uses temperd glass so that kills the need for a side. but side will help gpu temps and maybe even cpu hmm

There’s more than one side to a case. I have one that has glass on one side and filtered on the other. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

There’s more than one side to a case. I have one that has glass on one side and filtered on the other. 

you talking about like corsair cases were there a top glass panned then a gap the a filter?

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

you talking about like corsair cases were there a top glass panned then a gap the a filter?

No I’m talking about the sides. As in one side glass. The other side is filtered. 

5 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

No I’m talking about the sides. As in one side glass. The other side is filtered. 

oh like front glass and back of mb filterd like bequiet case

to make thing easier just tell me the case name haha

Or the mobo is horizontal. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Or the mobo is horizontal. 

90 degree mb are the best for air temps but like i said there often look weird, and costy. also some cube cases like the tt core x5 /x9 were good all the aire just out the top and fresh air from the bottom and sides and back

Looks are subjective. And prices are average. Always the cheapest part in my builds. Most aren’t concerned about airflow or else they wouldn’t use a rad as intake or have an open air gpu. 

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Looks are subjective. And prices are average. Always the cheapest part in my builds. Most aren’t concerned about airflow or else they wouldn’t use a rad as intake or have an open air gpu. 

ya a big part of pcs about looks over performance. but you want cheap performance just go open air....

I doubt the added filter adds terribly much to production cost and it's an extra marketing bullet point.   I've got a 360mm AIO exhausting out the top...only major difference it seems to make between having the filter on or off is noise muffling.  Temps don't seem to fluctuate all that much, at least with my case.

16 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I doubt the added filter adds terribly much to production cost and it's an extra marketing bullet point.   I've got a 360mm AIO exhausting out the top...only major difference it seems to make between having the filter on or off is noise muffling.  Temps don't seem to fluctuate all that much, at least with my case.

your right it should be cheap but when its the bottom line every cost counts so you are paying for it weather you want or need it or not. they are going to pitch to you that you need it want it. that's marketing

look at j2cents video about fills rig were he got a air flow front panel came with a mesh that made it pointless in the first place.

You know what would be amazing? A fucking robotic PC case which would automatically block the top with some kind of cover, after you power down your pc. It could slide the flexible piece of material from the side, or use some telescopic/accordion alike material that would stretch just before the system shutdown. 

This of course is not a problem for people using thick rads with push and pull config, since its unlikely that a dust would get through it into the pc, though cleaning rads with fans on both sides is also a pain. 

4 hours ago, RainingTacco said:

You know what would be amazing? A fucking robotic PC case which would automatically block the top with some kind of cover, after you power down your pc. It could slide the flexible piece of material from the side, or use some telescopic/accordion alike material that would stretch just before the system shutdown. 

This of course is not a problem for people using thick rads with push and pull config, since its unlikely that a dust would get through it into the pc, though cleaning rads with fans on both sides is also a pain. 

ya i cant remember whats better for dust with a rad i think its pull.

or just build that case right in the first place haha