why filter on top of case

thrasher_565

so i was wondering why there a filter on top of the case? is there some science too it? should we not be exhausting air out the top? seem like every case dose this....

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

so i was wondering why there a filter on top of the case? is there some science too it? should we not be exhausting air out the top? seem like every case dose this....

Is this a serious question? It stops/minimises dust getting into the case when the computer isn't running and can be used as an intake.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

3 minutes ago, vong said:

Is this a serious question? It stops/minimises dust getting into the case when the computer isn't running and can be used as an intake.

so when you shut off your pc you put it on and when your run it you take it off? dose make sense.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

They're pretty worthless TBH. If you're mounting a rad up there it's best practice to exhaust hot air out of the top, a dust filter would just hinder performance. Even if you're just mounting fans on the top it's best to exhaust air, not intake air. Heat rises, you're just working against yourself doing it any other way.   

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

so when you shut off your pc you put it on and when your run it you take it off? dose make sense.

I just leave it there. The filter does affect flow but not enough for me to care.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

4 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

It gives people the option to use the top of the case as an intake, like with top mounted AIOs.

who ueses it as an intake thow is my question is there some science that we should do this? imo the money could be spent els were and just not include one at all...maybe im missing the point but that why im asking...

1 minute ago, Ehmc130 said:

They're pretty worthless TBH. If you're mounting a rad up there it's best practice to exhaust hot air out of the top, a dust filter would just hinder performance. Even if you're just mounting fans on the top it's best to exhaust air, not intake air. Heat rises, you're just working against yourself doing it any other way.   

that's what i thought... but all cases seem to include one....

2 minutes ago, vong said:

I just leave it there. The filter does affect flow but not enough for me to care.

1 guy for no fucks given.

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

that's what i thought... but all cases seem to include one....

The best thing you can do is keep your computer off the floor away from carpets and take a data vac to it every so often. Filters restrict flow, they're a load of bollocks. 

Just now, Ehmc130 said:

The best thing you can do is keep your computer off the floor away from carpets and take a data vac to it every so often. Filters restrict flow, they're a load of bollocks. 

ya your right haha but i had a case with no filters and i was to lazy to dust it haha i no if there done right they can work fine but most go the cheap way.

there were some poeople on  some forms that said panty hoes works good for a filter....

5 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya your right haha but i had a case with no filters and i was to lazy to dust it haha i no if there done right they can work fine but most go the cheap way.

there were some poeople on  some forms that said panty hoes works good for a filter....

Not a horrible idea. Just go with black, I'd hate to see colors clash. ?

34 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

who ueses it as an intake thow is my question is there some science that we should do this? imo the money could be spent els were and just not include one at all...maybe im missing the point but that why im asking...

they just make whatever they think will sell thats the whole reason

Wish more cases had them. Would prolly be a lot less dust in mine. Gotta put something over mine to keep it down. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

hmm some case testing would be nice to see that the top filter dose and other fan configurations. if i had a lial li 011 air i could test a bunch of stuff haha... there one on ammazon that is used and says Large cosmetic imperfection(s) on top, front or sides of item. Large cosmetic imperfection(s) on bottom or back of the item. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

worth the risk? i have gotten used stuff off ammazon and all bean good.

i think i got it! the reason they include the top fan filter is they want you to turn the case 90 degrees! then then filters is use full.....

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

You keep the dust filter on all the time for intake only.

1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

You keep the dust filter on all the time for intake only.

give me one scenario were intake from the top  is better then exhaust and ill let it go.

5 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

give me one scenario were intake from the top  is better then exhaust and ill let it go.

If you have rad on top then it is better for intake because you want cold air to push hot air out and not hot air inside the case push to the rad then to the rad fins because the water go from the tube to the rad will be hot. You don't want hot water returns back to cool down whatever you are trying to cool. In addition, intake air from outside the case is much cooler than inside the case.

10 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

If you have rad on top then it is better for intake because you want cold air to push hot air out and not hot air inside the case push to the rad then to the rad fins because the water go from the tube to the rad will be hot when the water return back to cool down whatever you are trying to cool. In addition, intake air from outside the case is much cooler than inside the case.

i no this.... im not saying cold air form out side though the rad is a bad idea its a good idea when even you can do it.

but in this case you take intake form the top to make your rad cooler at the same time your cpu, mb and top of gpu would get hotter. lets say that the revers air flow might not make a difference so we ill exclude that.

i guess if you really want to you could intake form the top, intake from the bottom and out the front i guess but no cases come with a back fan filter so guess just don't use it...hmm this could even be bitter then the tradition way...

11 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i no this.... im not saying cold air form out side though the rad is a bad idea its a good idea when even you can do it.

but in this case you take intake form the top to make your rad cooler at the same time your cpu, mb and top of gpu would get hotter. lets say that the revers air flow might not make a difference so we ill exclude that.

It doesn't. It is the same thing people criticized JayzTwoCents from mounting front rad as intake and said that will going to cause everything inside the case overheat from cpu heat push out from the rad. Front rad intake is much better than top intake but if your case doesn't allow you to do intake front than top intake is a better choice.  

If you have fans mounted top then exhaust makes sense, but if you have rad mounted top then intake is better. If you did your research, you will going to find 50% people will say exhaust if rad mounted on the top because top and back are for exhaust. Other 50% will say if rad mounted on top then intake because air from outside the case is much cooler than inside, plus you don't want your gpu heat to dump into the cpu.

If the liquid temp from the rad return back to cool whatever you are cooling is hot then it is going to be a problem.

16 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

It doesn't. It is the same thing people criticized JayzTwoCents from mounting front rad as intake and said that will going to cause everything inside the case overheat from cpu heat push out from the rad. Front rad intake is much better than top intake but if your case doesn't allow you to do intake front than top intake is a better choice.  

If you have fans mounted top then exhaust makes sense, but if you have rad mounted top then intake is better. If you did your research, you will going to find 50% people will say exhaust if rad mounted on the top because top and back are for exhaust. Other 50% will say if rad mounted on top then intake because air from outside the case is much cooler than inside, plus you don't want your gpu heat to dump into the cpu.

If the liquid temp from the rad return back to cool whatever you are cooling is hot then it is going to be a problem.

if taking hot air inside the case thew the rad and out the top even its hotter air i still think it be cooler then  intake air from the top thew the rad and out the back i guess. but i don't really no so a answer would be nice. to no.

people will be people they pick up traditions form people never finding out the real answer. i too thought in front out the top is the norm but now i question it...

13 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

if taking hot air inside the case thew the rad and out the top even its hotter air i still think it be cooler then  intake air from the top thew the rad and out the back i guess. but i don't really no so a answer would be nice. to no.

people will be people they pick up traditions form people never finding out the real answer. i too thought in front out the top is the norm but now i question it...

You can experiment yourself. It is not that hard to flip the fans position. I have Corsair 750D with 2x 140mm intake front and 1x 140mm exhaust. I have Corsair H115I 280mm aio mounted top with fans as intake. My GPU is Sapphire Pulse RX 590 running max temp 80C. If I switch my aio fans as exhaust than it will suck that tremendous heat from my gpu to my rad and the water temp will be 47C. If I switch it back to intake than my aio liquid temp will be 40 to 41C. Ambient is 28C during both tests. cpu temp drop by about 3c to 5c from intake. Positive air pressure will reduce dust building up inside the case and reducing temp too.

GPU, ram, and mobo temp are the same whether aio fans set as intake or exhaust.

3 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

You can experiment yourself. It is not that hard to flip the fans position. I have Corsair 750D with 2x 140mm intake front and 1x 140mm exhaust. I have Corsair H115I 280mm aio mounted top with fans as intake. My GPU is Sapphire Pulse RX 590 running max temp 80C. If I switch my aio fans as exhaust than it will suck that tremendous heat from my gpu to my rad and the water temp will be 47C. If I switch it back to intake than my aio liquid temp will be 40 to 41C. Ambient is 28C during both tests. cpu temp drop by about 3c to 5c from intake. Positive air pressure will reduce dust building up inside the case and reducing temp too.

oh i think i kinda understand about sucking the gpu air thew the top rad i get it now haha i guess if you have an aio /wc gpu this be less of a problem or do i dare say it a blower fan gpu....

my question is what are the temps if you intake from the top and bottom and out the front? and disable the back fan or block it off with cardboard. i no lots of cases block the front and give little space for the fan and on top of that a filter.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

my question is what are the temps if you intake from the top and bottom and out the front? and disable the back fan or block it off with cardboard. i no lots of cases block the front and give little space for the fan and on top of that a filter.

I haven't tried this yet but I think it should work similar to my setup where I have front and top intake and exhaust back. I have Corsair 750D Airflow edition and not the mesh panel 750D.