Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ithanul

BOINC Community Board

Continuing to experiment with virtualization I've decided to test WCG on the 1950X bare metal vs a VM that has had some compute optimization done to it and...I can't tell the difference. Statically speaking there should be at least a 1%~2% reduction but in the productivity I can't see it.

This will be great for bunkering. :D

As I've discovered though WCG doesn't like it when too many clients that belong to the same account ask for work all at once so you'd be best off only making up to 4 running simultaneously unless you're bunkering a different project.

Guides & Tutorials:

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

In the Queue:

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Bad news. For reasons that I can't even begin to understand I've lost the ability to BOINC crunch on my GPUs. For no apparent reason the system decided to stop booting to the OS. It was getting hung on something. Re-installing the OS wasn't hard but the AMD driver for this version of Linux has for no reason decided that it bricks the install rather than enable OpenCL for GPU compute.

This sucks. I'm 2/3rds of the way to the gold contributor badge and this super random thing had to happen.

What are the chances anybody knows another way to get OpenCL working on Debian because what looks like the official way has officially broke.

Guides & Tutorials:

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

In the Queue:

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

53 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Bad news. For reasons that I can't even begin to understand I've lost the ability to BOINC crunch on my GPUs. For no apparent reason the system decided to stop booting to the OS. It was getting hung on something. Re-installing the OS wasn't hard but the AMD driver for this version of Linux has for no reason decided that it bricks the install rather than enable OpenCL for GPU compute.

This sucks. I'm 2/3rds of the way to the gold contributor badge and this super random thing had to happen.

What are the chances anybody knows another way to get OpenCL working on Debian because what looks like the official way has officially broke.

No idea about Debian but in Ubuntu 18 I’ve found you sometimes need the development packages when installing OpenCL and telling it to install just the dev packages seems to work.

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

No idea about Debian but in Ubuntu 18 I’ve found you sometimes need the development packages when installing OpenCL and telling it to install just the dev packages seems to work.

It's Ubuntu (based on the Debian distro) running version 18.04.3 LTS. Installing the AMD driver from AMD's website just bricks the whole install. What are these development packages? Are they direct from AMD or do I need to get them from somewhere else?

Someone I was speaking with on the form mentioned rocm which is apparently a more proper/official way of getting OpenCL on Ubuntu. I played with rocm for quite a while but none of it worked.

Guides & Tutorials:

In the Queue:

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

It's Ubuntu (based on the Debian distro) running version 18.04.3 LTS. Installing the AMD driver from AMD's website just bricks the whole install. What are these development packages? Are they direct from AMD or do I need to get them from somewhere else?

Someone I was speaking with on the form mentioned rocm which is apparently a more proper/official way of getting OpenCL on Ubuntu. I played with rocm for quite a while but none of it worked.

I just usually “apt install opencl-dev” that’s taken care of F@H not recognizing nvidia GPUs in the past

but no idea about the AMD drivers. If they’re anything like the nvidia then the open-source drivers from the Graphics PPA likely wont work as well.

I see some people mentioning using nomodeset flags in grub and others mentioning disabling secure boot.

Binary drivers are ugly

12 hours ago, Gorgon said:

I just usually “apt install opencl-dev” that’s taken care of F@H not recognizing nvidia GPUs in the past

but no idea about the AMD drivers. If they’re anything like the nvidia then the open-source drivers from the Graphics PPA likely wont work as well.

I see some people mentioning using nomodeset flags in grub and others mentioning disabling secure boot.

Binary drivers are ugly

I gave ROCm another shot. It's compatibility list is really short. My GPUs aren't on it. Closest to is is the 390X and the devs say it only might work no guarantees. End result was a complete failure.

Tried the opencl-dev package and it did nothing.

I have one last thing to try. I was previously using Ubuntu 19.10. I had found drivers though the AMD site and a script to run the installation. It had worked before but it broke QEMU. For now if I can get it going I'll slap the GPUs on a rig and let them whirl till I reach my goal.

Guides & Tutorials:

In the Queue:

good-new-everyone.jpeg.c9ad95b8ad1bff2e39070fdff8cc1ff6.jpeg

We're back in action.

opencl.thumb.png.b3b8f906617c5ccd23f89e7da8b4938f.png

As it turns out by Googling the error message that pops up in the last line of the Terminal after installing the amdgpu-pro driver it links to missing packages. Trying to install these packages it makes the claim they're already installed. It made me wonder though. Is it a kernel compatibility issue?

I had downloaded the .ISO from the Ubuntu website. It came with v5.3.0-26-generic. I decided to check my File Server for a copy of Ubuntu and found one for 18.04.3 LTS. I installed it and it had kernel 4.15.0-74-generic. So I tried installing the amdgpu-pro driver on that and yay it works.

So two things have happened here:

1. Ubuntu has updated their current 18.04.3_LTS.iso file with kernel version 5.3.0-26-generic.
  2. AMD has NOT updated their current amdgpu-pro driver to be compatible with Ubuntus kernel update.

None of this explains why my rig committed seppuku in the first place but it means we're back up and running fully and crunching Einstein jobs. Hopefully nothing unexpected occurs again but for now everything seems to be working. :D

Guides & Tutorials:

In the Queue: