Frankenstein GPU Cooling - IT'S AWESOME

nicklmg

I think even a 120mm cooler wouldn't work for most mid-tower chassis, as expansion slots are 20mm wide, and there are only 7 in a mid-tower chassis. So you'd need one that uses a 92mm fan, such as the CoolerMaster TX3.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

1 hour ago, brandishwar said:

I think even a 120mm cooler wouldn't work for most mid-tower chassis, as expansion slots are 20mm wide, and there are only 7 in a mid-tower chassis. So you'd need one that uses a 92mm fan, such as the CoolerMaster TX3.

cant take much trust in a video thats been sponsored

I was hoping to see what the core clock was and if it allowed for more OC head room. 

This reminds me of the video of Linus from NCIX Times about strapping an AIO to a GPU (worked great btw; from 82° to 62°). Fun stuff!

2AFC2433-DEA1-42CE-B968-A0BC2944C584.jpeg

In order for this modification to be successful in my eyes it needs to accomplish three things:

1. We need to see an improvement in gaming performance.
  2. I want a reduction in system noise at the same time.
  3. I want the whole experience to be less hassle than water cooling so it's something we can actually recommend.

Claims that the method needs to be less of a hassle than water cooling...proceeds to custom machine a VRM heatsink and talks about using a drill press to do the mod...yeah, totally easier than water cooling?‍♂️

7 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Claims that the method needs to be less of a hassle than water cooling...proceeds to custom machine a VRM heatsink and talks about using a drill press to do the mod...yeah, totally easier than water cooling?‍♂️

while I’m not sure about the drill press, the cheap, easy alternative to the custom heat sink is explained.

31 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

while I’m not sure about the drill press, the cheap, easy alternative to the custom heat sink is explained.

Everyone has a drill press. It's like a bread machine. You'll find it hiding in a random pantry, but it's there.

It's impossible to make a solution like this practical due to three main factors:

1. Non-standard mounting for different GPU models
  2. Memory cooling
  3. VRM/MOSFET cooling

Even with standardization in the GPU mounting and AIO compatibility, every card manufacturer would still need to supply a back plate and mid plate for this to work, never mind including a regular cooler AND still honor warranty claims when you disassemble the product.

Not gonna happen!!!

It's possible a 120mm AIO could provide sufficient cooling, but how big of a case are you going to be hunting for to fit an AIO for the CPU and an AIO for just one GPU? At that point it's far more elegant doing a custom water solution, and with better performance as well.

couldn't help but think of diy perks during this entire video. also I wished instead of just stating: it's quiet, my mic is right here, I wish they actually measured the noise difference. 

The obvious downside you fail to mention is that you lose access to a lot of PCI-e slots with this. I'm tempted to try something like this, but with a PCI-e extension cable and maybe a card that has lacking cooling to begin with, like a reference RX-5700.

I am actually considering to this. My GPU is pretty loud at the moment. Does anyone have a recomendation, what cooler i should get for it?

Edit: I just measured that i have about 120mm for the maximum cooler hight so i dont think it will work...

Honestly why don't GPU manufacturers offer these kind of silent coolers out of the box? My current GTX 1070 is finally silent after putting a Arctic Accelero Xtreme III on it but I would gladly have the option and even pay a few bucks more to sacrifice my slot-space and have a silent GPU setup out of the box.

What I'm saying, make GPUs with tower-coolers by default.

That heatsink won't be enough to cool the VRMs I am sure.

1 hour ago, Skyyblaze said:

Honestly why don't GPU manufacturers offer these kind of silent coolers out of the box? My current GTX 1070 is finally silent after putting a Arctic Accelero Xtreme III on it but I would gladly have the option and even pay a few bucks more to sacrifice my slot-space and have a silent GPU setup out of the box.

What I'm saying, make GPUs with tower-coolers by default.

It will have issues fitting in most cases.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

you could just have this as another option, so people can choose what they want

On 11/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, williamcll said:

That heatsink won't be enough to cool the VRMs I am sure.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:38 PM, Devryd said:

you could just have this as another option, so people can choose what they want

Exactly that's what I was thinking. Plus I imagine even a smaller sized tower-cooler would have better cooling and noise performance than most standard GPU coolers since the heatsink can still be way bigger.

I would be able to fit a bigger cooler, if I moved my PSU to the front of my case. Does anyone have a suggestion how i would fit it there?
And where would i get a cover with a extension cord for the back of my case?

• 6 months later...

Kinda wondering what this would look like with the new ice giant thermosiphon elite.....  it is still bulky thinner Profile.