Tons of Markiplier Fans Suspended for no good reason! (Google/Youtube overreach))

OutsideOctaves
19 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Yeah if you're a full time YT creator who happens to like to watch other content and your account gets banned who cares right?

Also who uses Gmail right? Pffft it's not like every account you sign up for these days is based solely around your email account and your access to said account or anything like that.

Seriously, are you so dense that you can't see this as an issue besides "i CaN sTiLl WaTcH vIdEoS" ?‍♂️?

How many "yt creators" actually make a successful living off the platform alone? It's also been a dumpster fire for years now with literally some form of controversy every month it seems. Why do you think channels like LTT have been building/looking for an alternative?

Gmail is a completely optional email client among hundreds. Many of which don't intentionally scan through every single email you send/receive to build an advertising profile on you to sell to marketers.

So who's clearly the "dense" one arguing semantics that don't actually effect the vast majority of users? I think you can guess the answer.

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Youtube resolved the issue

Not really. Accounts are starting to be unbanned, but all content associated with them, videos, favorites, etc....are wiped. It wasn't just a youtube ban, it was a full on G account sweep.

2 hours ago, Crowbar said:

How many "yt creators" actually make a successful living off the platform alone? It's also been a dumpster fire for years now with literally some form of controversy every month it seems. Why do you think channels like LTT have been building/looking for an alternative?

Gmail is a completely optional email client among hundreds. Many of which don't intentionally scan through every single email you send/receive to build an advertising profile on you to sell to marketers.

So who's clearly the "dense" one arguing semantics that don't actually effect the vast majority of users? I think you can guess the answer.

How frequently do you change email providers, and on average, what fraction of your contacts do you lose every shift? Of you've been on a platform for any length of time it is not a trivial task.

I've been thinking off and on about moving off of Yahoo since they became Oath and their new arbitration clauses came into effect, but it will involve changing dozens of secondary accounts and numerous contacts, and honestly, there's no expectation that whoever I end up at won't turn around and do exactly the same sort of thing. I find myself wondering if the Post Office hosts email accounts these days? They at least have rules they have to follow. 

10 hours ago, Crowbar said:

Who cares?

Google/youtube accounts serve no real purpose anyway. You can still watch videos and use the same services else where without google spying on everything you do.

What?

This is a REALLY BIG DEAL. Just for starters this could mean that: you could loose some of your accounts (because your email no longer exists), your stuff on Google Drive, all your emails, purchase history, important documents, and even loose records from other websites (because you used your google account to create an account for that website), etc. It is difficult to determine if this is an issue that is being fixed, but in the meantime I am creating a throwaway google account, setting up 2 factor authentication where I can and getting backups of records that I haven't gotten already.

YT is a SJW Shitshow.

Too bad its "to big to fail"

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

10 minutes ago, Praesi said:

YT is a SJW Shitshow.

Too bad its "to big to fail"

I feel like Youtube is just barely skirting around the first amendment. 

Just now, sharknado34 said:

First amendment does not apply to private platforms...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, Crowbar said:

How many "yt creators" actually make a successful living off the platform alone?

You'd be surprised actually. There are also a lot more people who make videos on the side and would still like to get that supplemental income from it.

Gmail is a completely optional email client among hundreds.

Yeah, just like literally everything else on the internet. It ALSO happens to be the largest email provider in the world...which also accounts for over 50% of the email market share in the US. So this has the potential to affect a lot of people.

So who's clearly the "dense" one arguing semantics that don't actually effect the vast majority of users?

You're the one who is really failing to grasp the seriousness of an issue like this so it's still you. It wouldn't be that big of an issue if they just banned you from YouTube for it but the fact that they're completely disabling people's Google accounts is what is the issue. This would lock you out of being able to login to a lot of other accounts you've made online with that email address. A lot of people use their email account as two-factor authentication, guess who can't do that anymore when their Google account is disabled? Look, you make it pretty obvious that Google pissed in your Cheerios this morning, and every morning apparently, but that shouldn't shut off your brain when it comes to seeing the bigger picture here about how getting your email account disabled can cascade into a lot of different issues.

Now do you actually have something constructive to add to this conversation other than shouting "i HaTe GoOgLe" like you have been with each of your posts in this topic?

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

And it really should.

Google should be policing the streamer's content, not the audience's when there's no reason to.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

It really depends. One argument is the company town square issue. Essentially it has been found that in a company town, just because the company owns the town square, does not mean they can regulate who can say what I'm their town square. 

The dance that YouTube and Google are doing, however is the Publisher/forum thing. Basically Google and YouTube are not legally liable for the contents that their users put up on it because they are content hosts, rather than the publisher. So if someone puts up an illegal or libelous YouTube video, the uploader can be in trouble, but YouTube has little legal issue. However, that only really stands if they are a neutral host. If they are making significant editorial decisions on what does and does not get published in their platform, they can become, legally, a publisher, and legally liable for what goes up. 

Think of it as, the phone company isn't liable for you coordinating your multi state criminal empire over their phone lines, but the newspaper sure is liable for letting you coordinate it over their editorial pages. 

There is also precedent for regulating private companies in the name of free speech. Particularly early in the broadcast era the FCC maintained what was called the "Fairness Doctrine" that required that broadcast networks provide equivalent time to both side of controversial topics. It was eventually repealed by Congress, but the precedent still permits it to return. I don't know that that would be a good thing, but if a large enough part of the population feels they are being mistreated or targeted by the current primary media hubs, I could see people bringing it back again. 

2 hours ago, Harry Voyager said:

It really depends. One argument is the company town square issue. Essentially it has been found that in a company town, just because the company owns the town square, does not mean they can regulate who can say what I'm their town square. 

The dance that YouTube and Google are doing, however is the Publisher/forum thing. Basically Google and YouTube are not legally liable for the contents that their users put up on it because they are content hosts, rather than the publisher. So if someone puts up an illegal or libelous YouTube video, the uploader can be in trouble, but YouTube has little legal issue. However, that only really stands if they are a neutral host. If they are making significant editorial decisions on what does and does not get published in their platform, they can become, legally, a publisher, and legally liable for what goes up. 

Think of it as, the phone company isn't liable for you coordinating your multi state criminal empire over their phone lines, but the newspaper sure is liable for letting you coordinate it over their editorial pages. 

There is also precedent for regulating private companies in the name of free speech. Particularly early in the broadcast era the FCC maintained what was called the "Fairness Doctrine" that required that broadcast networks provide equivalent time to both side of controversial topics. It was eventually repealed by Congress, but the precedent still permits it to return. I don't know that that would be a good thing, but if a large enough part of the population feels they are being mistreated or targeted by the current primary media hubs, I could see people bringing it back again. 

Corporations have way too much power right now. In politics they have waaaaayyyyy too much influence, I don't understand how companies are exempt from the amendments. There seems to be a decent amount of politicians that are being paid off by big corporations. The only way you can get by in politics is to make "alliances" and promise, you do this I will do this in return. If I wanted to get into politics (which becomes more tempting the more I see such massive corruption in government/politics) and opposed big corporations I would get ruined. Capitalist societies have some benefits, but who is reining them in?

Bad title, didnt even think to read or care about this until someone reposted and I go led here through the link.

This goes beyond Markiplier, it's clearly a general issue on YouTube, and a very serious one at that.  Aside from the obvious fact that no action should have been taken against any of these accounts since they were not harming the host or each other (or advertising or other issues), going after the associated Google account is completely insane and unacceptable.  There are rare instances where a user may have violated policy so badly that it is appropriate, but in virtually all cases like this, a ban on commenting or if necessary, accessing and using YouTube altogether should be more than enough to solve the problem.  I never would have expected such careless and foolhardy behaviour from Google regarding such a serious topic.

Frankly, they've just killed themselves, and a good portion of the internet along with it.  Not literally, of course they are a huge company and will survive, but I mean figuratively.  Their services are an integral part of modern internet and modern life, and they've shown that they can't be trusted to provide them reliably.  That is a very unfortunate and inconvenient fact but a fact nevertheless.  I'll be moving as many accounts as possible to a different email asap and aiming to eliminate my use of their services entirely.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, sharknado34 said:

As shitty as this case is, this really doesn't concern the first amendment aka free-speech. If you really wanna turn this into talk about that at best this is just the part after the free-speech, the consequences. Freedom of speech means you are free to say whatever you want but it doesn't mean that you wouldn't need to feel the consequences of your words. Like this doesn't really stand here but people are free to build a bot to spam shit around a service, that's the free-speech/first amendment part, their account being banned for spamming around the service is the consequence of them using their free-speech privilege to do something that is prohibited.

I can accept that Youtube's bots are overzealous and banned people because they appeared to be spamming even though they weren't. It sucks, but that's YouTube for you. 

The bigger question is why on earth does a ban from chat involve an automatic deletion of your account? I could see spamming racial slurs or something resulting in a suspension or serious warning or something, but why is an automated system able to access and delete your personal account without any oversight. And even more so, how the hell does Youtube's automated system have the ability to elevate itself to delete your entire Google account. I realize that the two accounts are closely linked nowadays (for no good reason), but how is a piece of software built to manage YouTube chat etiquette even capable of wiping out private user data? Ignoring any safeguards and security best practices that obviously weren't in place, how does it even have the access necessary to do it? 

22 hours ago, Crowbar said:

Who cares?

Google/youtube accounts serve no real purpose anyway. You can still watch videos and use the same services else where without google spying on everything you do.

That's not true. People who have purchased YouTube red no Ionger have access to that service, so losing the account is a big deal.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

This is why I keep more than one google account. One for my personal stuff and family and one for everyone else and for foolishness on Youtube.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

Back in 2009, when Youtube wanted me to link a Google account or not let me log in anymore, I decided to not log in anymore. I don't have a Google account and don't plan on ever getting one. Incidents like this confirm that this was the correct decision on my part.

its the lemming affect

do you do 200 on the highway just because a yt vlogger is doing it

common sense is not so common

18 hours ago, Rune said:

Not really. Accounts are starting to be unbanned, but all content associated with them, videos, favorites, etc....are wiped. It wasn't just a youtube ban, it was a full on G account sweep.

This is really something that needed to be regulated. A email provider shouldn't be allowed to simply wipe your stuff and if they do they should be liable to compensate the damage that they have done. 

They only do this because it's not regulated currently besides "a provider can do whatever they want"  which gives them way too much power. 

Same goes for online services like Steam, PSN, etc.  You "bought" it they shouldn't be allowed to take it away for whatever reason they seem fit (which is the current defacto regularies though) 

I really don't get why there aren't more stringent rules for these things,  it's like the people responsible "just don't get the internet"  in which case I have to wonder why they're responsible to begin with.  @.@

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I wonder if it is time for an entity like the Post Office for email communication? In its day, the post was important enough that its the only business actually in the US Constitution. The rest of it is rules about what the government can, and mostly cannot do, and by the way, establish a post office. Yet now, the vast majored of what people did by mail is now done by email instead.

My general inclination is less government is better, but this might be one of the exceptions. 

OK, Mark posted another video (cited earlier in the post, thanks :) ) about the fact that it's being dealt with by google.  A google/youtube big-wig for content called Mark herself and confirmed that this should never have happened and is in inter-business communications to try and prevent future issues, as this is THAT big an event ;).

But having said that, this shouldn't have happened in the first place, and a TON of people lost important work and time because of it.  I wonder what kind of steps altoegher they are doing, hopefully somehow they are able to bring all that content (e-mails, google docs, etc.) back to the people affected by this... but they have lost major internet-points here as the Mod said (paraphrasing).

A link to Mark's Update video:

On 11/9/2019 at 10:05 AM, PineyCreek said:

I suppose.  I'd like to think even when making billions upon billions of dollars that they'd treat the little people that use their services with grace.

YouTube is nothing but a money sink for Alphabet.

It's important to note that any figures you see are nothing but estimates, Alphabet doesn't release actual YouTube figures.

It's possible that YouTube is now profitable but if that's the case it's only been that way very recently. Going back only 2 years market analysts suggested YouTube cost alphabet billions a year while hardly making anything in return.

Of course since then they've gone hard on advertising.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, Harry Voyager said:

I wonder if it is time for an entity like the Post Office for email communication? In its day, the post was important enough that its the only business actually in the US Constitution. The rest of it is rules about what the government can, and mostly cannot do, and by the way, establish a post office. Yet now, the vast majored of what people did by mail is now done by email instead.

My general inclination is less government is better, but this might be one of the exceptions. 

In practice I suspect that they would never do this, and if they did it would be a poorly made, slow, unreliable and insecure service no one would want to use, but in theory and in principal, I totally agree.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.