Suggestions for my first Mechanical Keyboard

HYP3R69

Hey there everyone. I wasn't thinking of asking this question, but I'm getting nowhere in my choosing so I decided to ask out for your opinion.

I was thinking of getting a new keyboard recently as I am REALLY fed up with my crappy A4TECH BLOODY nonsense whatever it is. I was thinking of buying something good and responsive. I almost write on my PC and game too. Note that whenever I play a game, it is Rainbow 6 Siege. I was think of buying a 'Cougar Puri'. But the problem is, if I wanna get that I need to buy the RGB Edition now. But I really hate RGB. Plus I did my own bit of research and found that in the RGB Edition it doesn't have CherryMX keys rather than it has Cougars own Mecha keys. So my first question will be, which one will be a wise choice to take? The RGB Edition or the base edition which had only a White Backlit Light?

Secondly, If I fail to get that from anywhere else will taking the Logitech G610 Orion be a good choice? Even if I wanna tale this I need to get it from the US as it's not officially available in my country but I am willing to make that choice. 

Thirdly, within this price range is there any other keyboard that you have in mind guys?

TIA for reading this boring post.

Logitech makes solid keyboards. The market is now full of smaller brands making keyboards with better switches than Cherry (Cherry is very much overrated) and still great build quality. I don't know what's available to you, but I have lots of Gamdias boards available to me and they're all great.

These things are some switches attached to a PCB in a box. The marketing will try to convince you otherwise, but it's not really anything that magnificent. Don't fall for gaming companies' silly prices and edgy marketing.

A decent option that seems to globally available is Redragon boards, there are several that are essentially variants of the same thing, I used the Vara and the Kumara. Great build quality and switches are to taste.

That's an F in the profile pic

You didn't mention a budget so this may help. Get to a Best Buy or some place similar and try some out. People can talk about their preferences until they're blue in the face but that's just it, it's a matter of preference. Try a few different types, read some reviews, have fun. I prefer MX-Browns, you may not and that's fine.

Myself and quite a few of my friends have Corsair keyboards. None of us have had any issues with them, but they are pretty pricey if you're on a budget. With that said, I don't think you'd ever have to buy another one unless you wear a switch out. My K70 is solid as a rock and I can't even get it to flex. 

Just be careful, I know the K55 isn't mechanical and I'm not sure if they have more in their lineup that are mechanical look alike.

Note: Just because a keyboard comes with RGB doesn't mean you have to use it ;) 

~Air Cooling Advocate~

If you want a Razer keyboard, get a Razer keyboard. Say what you will about pricing, but I enjoyed the feel of it more than any of the 8 or so others I got to test in retail stores. Find a keyboard that has the features you want and look up reviews for it. Go to stores that have test models, if you can (mine was a Best Buy). If I say I was looking at getting a Logitech keyboard, someone will yell at me about how RomerG switches are awful. They'll do the same if I said Razer, or any other company for that matter.

Also, wait a few weeks for Black Friday instead of buying now.

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Logitech makes solid keyboards. The market is now full of smaller brands making keyboards with better switches than Cherry (Cherry is very much overrated) and still great build quality. I don't know what's available to you, but I have lots of Gamdias boards available to me and they're all great.

These things are some switches attached to a PCB in a box. The marketing will try to convince you otherwise, but it's not really anything that magnificent. Don't fall for gaming companies' silly prices and edgy marketing.

A decent option that seems to globally available is Redragon boards, there are several that are essentially variants of the same thing, I used the Vara and the Kumara. Great build quality and switches are to taste.

Actually, I have taken my interest from Gamdias. Bought a Headset 'Hebe E1' or something like that. Used it for 7 Months and sold it to a guy at half the price because I got tired taking it to the After Sales Service TWICE. They gave me a full replacement on my last query as the salesman was a known guy to me. But after 4 weeks of using that unit CAREFULLY, the mic suddenly goes in to terminator mode. Had enough, sold it to another guy. 

Red dragon isn't available in my country, but I am willing to bring it from US/UK if needed. Can you tell me a model that you might recommend within 60-65$? Again say, RGB isn't my preference. I prefer performance and comfort.

3 hours ago, Ehmc130 said:

You didn't mention a budget so this may help. Get to a Best Buy or some place similar and try some out. People can talk about their preferences until they're blue in the face but that's just it, it's a matter of preference. Try a few different types, read some reviews, have fun. I prefer MX-Browns, you may not and that's fine.

Got the idea of the Logitech G610 Orion from here actually. But still I am looking for some suggestions. I was thinking of taking a Cherry MX key keyboard within 60-65$ during the Black Friday sales. So, I hope you will drop some suggestions. Thanks for the video link though!

3 hours ago, Votivee said:

Myself and quite a few of my friends have Corsair keyboards. None of us have had any issues with them, but they are pretty pricey if you're on a budget. With that said, I don't think you'd ever have to buy another one unless you wear a switch out. My K70 is solid as a rock and I can't even get it to flex. 

Just be careful, I know the K55 isn't mechanical and I'm not sure if they have more in their lineup that are mechanical look alike.

Note: Just because a keyboard comes with RGB doesn't mean you have to use it ;) 

True! Will keep an eye on the K70 pricings in my country then. Though I doubt if I have keyboard officially in my country. ?

2 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Anything but Razer keyboards.

In my country, We have Razer headsets but no keyboards. A big duuuh! ?

2 hours ago, chowbaaron said:

If you want a Razer keyboard, get a Razer keyboard. Say what you will about pricing, but I enjoyed the feel of it more than any of the 8 or so others I got to test in retail stores. Find a keyboard that has the features you want and look up reviews for it. Go to stores that have test models, if you can (mine was a Best Buy). If I say I was looking at getting a Logitech keyboard, someone will yell at me about how RomerG switches are awful. They'll do the same if I said Razer, or any other company for that matter.

Also, wait a few weeks for Black Friday instead of buying now.

Actually thats the problem here. These kinda keyboards aren't that much available in a physical shop in my country because everyone buys a 2$ 'Al-Cheapo' keyboards in my country. All good keyboards here are sold online. Weird country huh? So I am relying on all of you guys who uses one.

4 hours ago, HYP3R69 said:

So my first question will be, which one will be a wise choice to take? The RGB Edition or the base edition which had only a White Backlit Light?

Decide for yourself. Using Cherry MX switches is not a good thing, so don't be afraid of getting a keyboard with different switches. 

Secondly, If I fail to get that from anywhere else will taking the Logitech G610 Orion be a good choice? Even if I wanna tale this I need to get it from the US as it's not officially available in my country but I am willing to make that choice. 

No. Absolute garbage keycaps, and Cherry switches. 

Thirdly, within this price range is there any other keyboard that you have in mind guys?

You haven't actually mentioned any price range. 

3 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Anything but Razer keyboards.

The Huntsman TE is among the only keyboards from any mainstream brand that isn't garbage. It's quite good, in terms of everything. Bloody/A4Tech LK switches, doubleshot PBT keycaps and actually decent stabilisers. 

:)

I agree with some of the people here, cherry switches are absolute garbage. They aren't the worst, but that's about all they have going for them.

As far as gaming is concerned, forget it. Keyboards don't make a significant impact on how well you game. Heavy switches, light switches, tactile switches, linear switches, they all perform the same. The difference is how much you enjoy them, so choose a switch you like, not one that you think is "better".

If you can spring a bit extra for a custom keyboard, I highly recommend that. A GMMK with Kailh switches is around $110usd

Otherwise just get a mechanical keyboard you think looks nice, and one that hopefully doesn't have cherry switches. 

On 11/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, HYP3R69 said:

True! Will keep an eye on the K70 pricings in my country then. Though I doubt if I have keyboard officially in my country. ?

The K70 is very much overhyped. Poor build (especially the wrist rest), non-standard bottom row, an obnoxiosly loud spacebar and at a fair amount higher in price than similar boards. 

Source: K70 owner 

I will restate my earlier point. It's some switches on a PCB. It's not a miracle and failure is unlikely. Don't fall for gaming company hype. You can get super cheap boards with better than Cherry switches and proper keycaps that will last a long time. Sharing some options might make recommendations easier, since keyboard availability doesn't seem to be universal 

That's an F in the profile pic

On 11/9/2019 at 12:35 PM, Acorn Eye said:

I agree with some of the people here, cherry switches are absolute garbage. They aren't the worst, but that's about all they have going for them.

As far as gaming is concerned, forget it. Keyboards don't make a significant impact on how well you game. Heavy switches, light switches, tactile switches, linear switches, they all perform the same. The difference is how much you enjoy them, so choose a switch you like, not one that you think is "better".

If you can spring a bit extra for a custom keyboard, I highly recommend that. A GMMK with Kailh switches is around $110usd

Otherwise just get a mechanical keyboard you think looks nice, and one that hopefully doesn't have cherry switches. 

Agreed with everything, though I will add one inherent switch feature that can matter for gaming is hysteresis, which can help to prevent accidental double actuation of switches but also can hinder spamming of switches.