Need help with choosing phone.

Toyota AE86
Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
17 hours ago, Amforev said:

Hello

Reacently i have decided that i want to swap my current phone (Nokia 515). I do not want a phone with Android, I have used it in the past and i do not like it. Also i would not like to buy apple products, becouse of their price.

While serching the web i have found another alternatives which were BlackBerry Z10 and Leap. I would like to know if BlackBerry is a safe os (spectre meltodwn, security updates etc.) and which one should i choose.

I will probably be using it to: browse the web, use messeging apps, create notes and listen to music.

Thanks for all answers

Do not get a BlackBerry OS phone.  I'm not saying that lightly or as a matter of opinion.  BlackBerry is shutting down its app store at the end of 2019.  If you buy a phone you'll probably be limited to the apps it comes with, and any you do download probably aren't getting updates in the last few weeks of the app store's existence.  You really will be throwing your money away.

If you don't want to buy Android, you're buying an iPhone -- the market is just that two-sided right now.  You could try for a refurbished iPhone 8 if a new model is too pricey.  There's also rumors of an iPhone 8-like "iPhone SE 2" (probably not the actual name) around March 2020 or so that would modernize things while keeping the price down to something like $399 US.  Whichever one you get, the performance will be more than enough for what you're looking to do.

Hello

Reacently i have decided that i want to swap my current phone (Nokia 515). I do not want a phone with Android, I have used it in the past and i do not like it. Also i would not like to buy apple products, becouse of their price.

While serching the web i have found another alternatives which were BlackBerry Z10 and Leap. I would like to know if BlackBerry is a safe os (spectre meltodwn, security updates etc.) and which one should i choose.

I will probably be using it to: browse the web, use messeging apps, create notes and listen to music.

Thanks for all answers

specter and meltdown are exploits for x86 Chips not ARM chips. you’re only real options are iphone or android since even blackberry uses android now.

12 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

since even blackberry uses android now.

I thought about using one of the earlier models such as Z10 or Leap, they are still using BlackBerry OS

If you're fine with IOS but don't want to pay their high prices, you could get a used phone or an iphone 8 for $450 new from Apple. But really you can't get a usable phone that doesn't use Android or IOS. The Blackberry Z10 is even older than a Nokia 515 and Blackberry OS isn't supported anymore which leaves it open to viruses, and the app store wouldn't have any apps that are younger than 5 years old.

6 hours ago, Amforev said:

Hello

Thanks for all answers

If you don't want Android nor iOS stay with the Nokia.

If you want a modern phone android and iOS are your only options, iPhones can be had for around $450 so they arent that expensive. I would also suggest trying out other android phones, I dont know what you used previously but there is a big difference in the experiences offered by samsung and oneplus for example

3 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

I would also suggest trying out other android phones, I dont know what you used previously but there is a big difference in the experiences offered by samsung and oneplus for example

I also suggest he can use something like Nova Launcher to change the look.

17 hours ago, Amforev said:

Hello

Thanks for all answers

Do not get a BlackBerry OS phone.  I'm not saying that lightly or as a matter of opinion.  BlackBerry is shutting down its app store at the end of 2019.  If you buy a phone you'll probably be limited to the apps it comes with, and any you do download probably aren't getting updates in the last few weeks of the app store's existence.  You really will be throwing your money away.

If you don't want to buy Android, you're buying an iPhone -- the market is just that two-sided right now.  You could try for a refurbished iPhone 8 if a new model is too pricey.  There's also rumors of an iPhone 8-like "iPhone SE 2" (probably not the actual name) around March 2020 or so that would modernize things while keeping the price down to something like $399 US.  Whichever one you get, the performance will be more than enough for what you're looking to do.