Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Max1996LTT

'Hardware Reserved' getting ridiculous

Posted · Original PosterOP

In my desktop PC, I have 16 GB of (DDR3, in case it's at all relevant) RAM installed, but half of it is 'Hardware Reserved'. What can I do to lessen that amount?

9 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

In my desktop PC, I have 16 GB of (DDR3, in case it's at all relevant) RAM installed, but half of it is 'Hardware Reserved'. What can I do to lessen that amount?

Double check the RAM is installed in the correct slots for dual-channel.  Consult your motherboard manual to verify.

GAMING RIG -----> i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

FOLDING RIG ----> i7 2700K - GTX 1070 - GTX 1660 Ti - ASUS something or another motherboard - Antec 900

2 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Double check the RAM is installed in the correct slots for dual-channel.  Consult your motherboard manual to verify.

Therein could lie a possible problem...this desktop with all parts in it is one my brother gave to me when I visited him in October last year. The monitor too, as he didn't need either of them anymore.

Take one out, boot to windows, put back in boot to windows again, and see if that changes

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

1 minute ago, Max1996LTT said:

With that said, the RAM sticks (two different brands) are already arranged such that one type is in alternating slots.

Alternating slots are not necessarily correct for dual channel on every motherboard.  You need to look up you motherboard manual to verify.  Slot config may also be printed on the physical board itself if you can see it.

GAMING RIG -----> i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

FOLDING RIG ----> i7 2700K - GTX 1070 - GTX 1660 Ti - ASUS something or another motherboard - Antec 900

9 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Alternating slots are not necessarily correct for dual channel on every motherboard.  You need to look up you motherboard manual to verify.  Slot config may also be printed on the physical board itself if you can see it.

The motherboard manual mentions the need to have the four sticks be identical to one another. Does this affect how much is hardware reserved in any way?

Just now, Max1996LTT said:

The motherboard manual mentions the need to have the four sticks be identical to one another. Does this affect how much is hardware reserved in any way?

It's theoretically possible to mix-and-match (as long as they are all DDR3), but the chances for incompatibility increase which is why the manual says they need to be the same.  Might be your combination of motherboard and mismatched RAM aren't playing nicely together.  Try what @Fasauceome recommended above.

All right, morning update:

I removed the Slot 4 RAM stick and checked in Windows. It was at (usable/hardware reserved) 8/4.

Then I put it back in and turned the PC on again, back to 8/8.

Events after my latest post make me wonder...what kind of BSODs can occur after tinkering (as it were) with my RAM and would it be normal for any of them to involve the kernel?