'Hardware Reserved' getting ridiculous

In my desktop PC, I have 16 GB of (DDR3, in case it's at all relevant) RAM installed, but half of it is 'Hardware Reserved'. What can I do to lessen that amount?

9 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

In my desktop PC, I have 16 GB of (DDR3, in case it's at all relevant) RAM installed, but half of it is 'Hardware Reserved'. What can I do to lessen that amount?

Double check the RAM is installed in the correct slots for dual-channel.  Consult your motherboard manual to verify.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

2 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Double check the RAM is installed in the correct slots for dual-channel.  Consult your motherboard manual to verify.

Therein could lie a possible problem...this desktop with all parts in it is one my brother gave to me when I visited him in October last year. The monitor too, as he didn't need either of them anymore.

With that said, the RAM sticks (two different brands) are already arranged such that one type is in alternating slots.

Take one out, boot to windows, put back in boot to windows again, and see if that changes

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Max1996LTT said:

With that said, the RAM sticks (two different brands) are already arranged such that one type is in alternating slots.

Alternating slots are not necessarily correct for dual channel on every motherboard.  You need to look up you motherboard manual to verify.  Slot config may also be printed on the physical board itself if you can see it.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Alternating slots are not necessarily correct for dual channel on every motherboard.  You need to look up you motherboard manual to verify.  Slot config may also be printed on the physical board itself if you can see it.

The motherboard manual mentions the need to have the four sticks be identical to one another. Does this affect how much is hardware reserved in any way?

Just now, Max1996LTT said:

The motherboard manual mentions the need to have the four sticks be identical to one another. Does this affect how much is hardware reserved in any way?

It's theoretically possible to mix-and-match (as long as they are all DDR3), but the chances for incompatibility increase which is why the manual says they need to be the same.  Might be your combination of motherboard and mismatched RAM aren't playing nicely together.  Try what @Fasauceome recommended above.

All right, morning update:

I removed the Slot 4 RAM stick and checked in Windows. It was at (usable/hardware reserved) 8/4.

Then I put it back in and turned the PC on again, back to 8/8.

Hmm, right now it's at a full 16 GB of usable RAM. Though I'm rather worried that's only something for now.

Events after my latest post make me wonder...what kind of BSODs can occur after tinkering (as it were) with my RAM and would it be normal for any of them to involve the kernel?

Never mind the above. My desktop is working again, except right back where I started when I made this thread.

I'll try and see if I can solve it with 2 x 8 GB DDR3 RAM. Does that seem plausible?

You need two identical RAM sticks. 

Just because some people got a mismatch to work doesn't mean that always works,  or is ideal or recommended. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity