Any benefits to having a blower cooler on Quadro RTX cards?

TrainFan475

I couldn't help but notice that all of the Quadro RTX graphics cards have a single blower fan. Why did Nvidia do this? I thought blower coolers were outdated and made your gpu a hotbox. It's fine for my 1070 fe because I don't run it 24/7 for deep learning or anything like that. Also, the cards are usually packed together like sardines with no breathing room, blocking the single fan that provides ventilation. Am I missing something, or was it just a bad idea in the first place?

535100696_Quadro8000s.thumb.jpg.f8e3155dfe7d873268ff920a2fe6e2d5.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

The blower styles usually are a bit better for these types of uses, as with an non-blower style, you will have 4 cards blowing out hot air into the PC. With the blower cooler, they are aiding in the exhaust of hot air.

The stacked (and thus blocking) nature is not something you can do a lot about with so many cards in a normal board though. But usually it's best to keep a bit of space for intake of air. (but that is not always possible).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

In these multi gpu situatiuons a blower is better than a traditional dual fan design, since the blower cooler will move all the hot air out of the case. If, like in the example of the photo you gave us, it were all aftermarket coolers you'd have 4gpus spewing out hot air right next to eachother, so that hot air will very likely end up going back into another card. Basically for single gpu setups you want a two or three fan design, for multiple gpu's packed closely you'd want blowers.

0G1A7677-Edit.thumb.jpg.9b7a2110eb8fd6f314f05330eb43876a.jpg

Yep, as others have said, in multi GPU situations, unless under water, blowers are the way to go. Even in my dual GPU rackmount rig, chucking all the heat to the outside works great to keep both GPU thermals in check as well as not making it harder for the CPU to keep cool. 

Because if they put open air coolers on them, it would only be a matter of time before someone put rgb on it. 

Then all the gamers would buy them and increase the e pen value of their systems. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz