Can I install windows on this cheap Android box ?

Faisal A

Can I install windows on this cheap android box ? If so, I have got my self a decent PC for watching youtube and editing word documents e.t.c. The main reason I wan it is because it is cheap, and energy efficient, so I can multiple of them to my 12V solar system. Also, 4GB of RAM isn't too bad, and it is pretty compact too

Edited by LogicalDrm

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

1 minute ago, Faisal A said:

Can I install windows on this cheap android box ? If so, I have got my self a decent PC for watching youtube and editing word documents e.t.c. The main reason I wan it is because it is cheap, and energy efficient, so I can multiple of them to my 12V solar system. Also, 4GB of RAM isn't too bad, and it is pretty compact too

If you are able to, it would have to be the ARM version of windows. I'll look into it, but you might be better off just sticking to android, as there are desktop modes for it which make it act just like a regular pc, and then you can download the android version of word for that.

i like trains 🙂

You cant, it uses an ARM cpu.  Unless there is a ARM variant of Windows 10, and your SOC is supported by it, I dont see a way thats happening.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Faisal A said:

I am aware of "Windows on Arm" You still need your SOC to be supported or you would have to port a whole world load of stuff THEN build your windows version for your device.

Not happening buddy.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Faisal A said:

Yes, windows does have an ARM version, but there is something you need to take into account. Microsoft has not supported every aspect of Windows, so not every application will run. You're better off using Sentio Desktop as multiple applications are supported by android, including word and chrome/firefox.

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, Faisal A said:

@pierom_qwerty I do not need every aspect. Just google chrome. I can use office online

What I mean is that nothing that runs on regular windows will run on ARM windows...

That app I linked earlier will give you a fully featured android desktop, which allows for a fully featured version of word and a fully featured version of chrome. Here is a video demoing it:

i like trains 🙂

Yes, windows does run in ARM, demonstrated by the new Surface tablet.

But as far as apps, you cannot run a 64bit windows program only 32bit.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@pierom_qwerty I do not need every aspect. Just google chrome. I can use office online

If you just need chrome, why not stick with what's on the PC to begin with?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

right? I honestly question how good that box will really be for that price. It looks nice, but I'm not familiar with that particular CPU.

15 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

right? I honestly question how good that box will really be for that price. It looks nice, but I'm not familiar with that particular CPU.

It's very similar to the one in the raspberry Pi 3b: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Processor (different manufacturer, same architecture. Cortex A55)

28 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I get your point, but mobile/IoT chrome is very different then desktop chrome in terms of compatibility.

51 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

What I mean is that nothing that runs on regular windows will run on ARM windows...

That app I linked earlier will give you a fully featured android desktop, which allows for a fully featured version of word and a fully featured version of chrome. Here is a video demoing it: -video link-

See above^

54 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

If you just need google chrome, look at the builds of Chromium OS for arm. They can be found here: https://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/?dir=weekly

Look for "CARMOS" builds. Those are chromium OS builds designed specifically for ARM. 

I would recommend FlintOS, but it looks like Neverware.com bought them out recently, and I don't remember if neverware provides ARM variants of their modded Chromium OS. 

EDIT: Here's a reference to the ChromiumOS project site as well. If you're having trouble getting ChrOS to install properly, this is a good place to start. https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

2 hours ago, Faisal A said:

Short answer no. As the ARM version of Windows is not available as a retail build, at least not in a way that is easy to install. I also question the licence. If you REALLY want a device to run Windows for ARM, you should buy a device that comes like that.

See https://github.com/WOA-Project/WOA-Deployer-Rpi , Basically it's super-involved just to install it on a Raspberry Pi 3

Long answer: Probably, but it's so involved that it's experience is a lot like trying to install Linux on the same device, which you might have a better long-term experience with. Or you know, just use the OS it comes with (Android 9.0)

3 hours ago, Faisal A said:

Realistically, it would most definitely have to be ARM based and I don't believe Win 10 has an ARM based variant. I know the rpi has a x86 windows emulator but I'm not sure it would work on the android box...regardless, if you do find an emulator allowing you to install full Windows on an android box - have VERY low expectations on well how it will run. There are youtube videos of a raspberry pi 4 (with similar specs) taking about 10 minutes to boot into emulated windows and completely pegged sitting at idle.

Why not just use the included android OS for watching youtube and editing word docs? I know there are free utilities you can download from the playstore which allow you to do simple editing to MS office docs. If you're expecting much more than that, you've got the wrong device.