Apple just does it better. - AirPods Pro Review

Does what better, their profit margin on in ear headphones? The Galaxy Buds sell for less than $150.

Also not surprised the ear tips on the "pro" earbuds are proprietary lol.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Also not surprised the ear tips on the "pro" earbuds are proprietary lol.

I have trouble accepting in ears as being superior unless they are custom fit.  Everyone's ears are physically different and even a mm out of round in any direction can change sound hugely.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I really doubt they are as good as the Sony's as they are really freaking amazing, and cost the same.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Linus freely admitted at the end dbrand provided them to him for free, it's hard to argue with free. There are however 250 reasons not to bother with these. 

52 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

Linus freely admitted at the end dbrand provided them to him for free, it's hard to argue with free. There are however 250 reasons not to bother with these. 

They’re not that expensive for noise cancelling earbuds. Let alone completely  wireless ones. Cost would actually be a positive in my book.

21 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

They’re not that expensive for noise cancelling earbuds. Let alone completely  wireless ones. Cost would actually be a positive in my book.

Different strokes for different folks. 

Sample rate 200Hz, trying to cancel 10kHz to 48kHz.... physics and math don't work like that. The ANC on these buds is bullshit, non of them work as they should. Apple tries to package their shit, but it's still shit. If you want to buy these for the ANC don't even bother, for the same money you can buy the Sennheisers. Still the same shit ANC, but beter response from the drivers. The only place these ANC buds work perfectly is in an environment where there are high power machines running constantly. Like a factory. Perfect when you work in such an environment and want to enjoy music while still be aware of your environment.

The only reason to buy these is when you're already deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem. These buds work perfectly with other Apple products (too bad Apple won't give other manufacturers access to the same). If you care for ease of use.

12 minutes ago, maksakal said:

Sample rate 200Hz, trying to cancel 10kHz to 48kHz.... physics and math don't work like that.

Active Noise Cancellation doesn't work like that.

The sample rate indicates how fast the feedback loop runs, i.e. 200 times every second it makes a short audio recording, runs an FFT, determines the prominent frequencies, calculates the inverse, and outputs that to the drivers. The actual microphone runs at a much higher rate.

27 minutes ago, harryk said:

Active Noise Cancellation doesn't work like that.

The sample rate indicates how fast the feedback loop runs, i.e. 200 times every second it makes a short audio recording, runs an FFT, determines the prominent frequencies, calculates the inverse, and outputs that to the drivers. The actual microphone runs at a much higher rate.

These two guys disagree with you. Don't blame me, argue with them. But I don't know, I think you have very little chance. When I read what they have said, it kinda makes sense. This whole thing about alliasing and folded signals and such, I'm not an expert but sounds to me like these guys knew what they were talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

What you are proposing would result (at best) into a block function which would be received as ticking sound.

....jesus christ the contradictions LTT shows in their video titles will never cease to amaze me

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

....jesus christ the contradictions LTT shows in their video titles will never cease to amaze me

It's called clickbait. I guess it was too long to write: "Sometimes Apple does it better, however not in this case where I got these for free and thus I use them but if you were to buy them then there are better options. Also these might seem nice and shiny, but seriously lack on several places". What is the YT title limit anyway? Just asking.

3 hours ago, maksakal said:

It's called clickbait.

Doens't make it better. It shows they have no integrity and will do what ever to get clicks.

Video about apple competitor: Apple sucks, look how much better this thing is

Video about apple product: Everyone else sucks, Appl e does it better

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Doens't make it better. It shows they have no integrity and will do what ever to get clicks.

They know that it'll get them those extra clicks, but I wonder if their watch time correlates with the view count.

19 hours ago, maksakal said:

These two guys disagree with you. Don't blame me, argue with them. But I don't know, I think you have very little chance. When I read what they have said, it kinda makes sense. This whole thing about alliasing and folded signals and such, I'm not an expert but sounds to me like these guys knew what they were talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

What you are proposing would result (at best) into a block function which would be received as ticking sound.

Imagine setting up two speakers right next to each other. One speaker outputs sound with a frequency of 440Hz, a perfect A4 note. The second speaker outputs the same 440Hz, offset in phase by one half.  The sound will be perfectly canceled with a 0Hz control loop (because there is no control loop).

Now the output of the first speaker starts changing; it increases by 10Hz every second. In order to keep up a control loop is needed that updates the output of the second speaker. How fast this control loop needs to run depends on how quickly the sound is changing. This is what the 200Hz refers to, it has nothing to do with the frequency of the sound itself.

16 hours ago, Arika S said:

I actually got to halfway before I switched to MKBHD's review. 

5 hours ago, harryk said:

Imagine setting up two speakers right next to each other. One speaker outputs sound with a frequency of 440Hz, a perfect A4 note. The second speaker outputs the same 440Hz, offset in phase by one half.  The sound will be perfectly canceled with a 0Hz control loop (because there is no control loop).

Now the output of the first speaker starts changing; it increases by 10Hz every second. In order to keep up a control loop is needed that updates the output of the second speaker. How fast this control loop needs to run depends on how quickly the sound is changing. This is what the 200Hz refers to, it has nothing to do with the frequency of the sound itself.

Ok, if you say so. But those two other guys say that math doesn't work like that. Don't ask me, I know nothing about this. I'm just the messenger of those two other guys.

In this perfect laboratory setup you are describing, maybe, even then not so great (something about standing waves and intersections or something, I don't know). But outside the laboratory there's this thing called "the universe" and in "the universe" nothing is perfect. Something tells me that if the change in frequency is higher then your 200Hz, you won't be able to keep up. Another thing tells me that hat happens quite often in "the universe" and if you're not perfectly in phase you're not generating "anti-sound", you are generating "sound".

Also, I suggest reading up on how ANC actually works in practice. This whole "anti-sound" thing is theory, but in practice it isn't achievable. So other clever tricks are used, tricks which wouldn't work in your perfect world.

12 hours ago, Tegos said:

Yeah guess what, they need to make money. And clickbait is usually a good way to get more views and make more money.

Then again it's funny to notice that the Apple crowd and their complaints about Linus' supposed "google bias" are absent in this thread. Hopefully they'll show up again soon.

I'm guessing this isn't about corporate tribalism, more about the manner the review is conducted. Hey these are great. Actually they're not so great. But I got these for free so they're great. Don't buy these.

Kinda confusing, don't you agree?

On 11/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, Arika S said:

LTT shows in their video titles will never cease to amaze me

On 11/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, maksakal said:

It's called clickbait.

they will do anything to make a buck!

Another battery that has to be produced ,loaded and disposed. For wireless earbuds that you usually use with a strap anyways? I mean i basically never travel around without the need to take my headphones out here and there. Don´t wanna hold them everytime. Bad manners imo if you keep them in and just stop the music.

Rather have a cable. Not so easy to lose also. This will rise the amount of a**h***s listening to music on speaker in public because they lost their in ears and can´t afford new ones. There is already enough of those people sadly.  

Don't forget about Amazon's Echo Buds! They seem to have a similar feature set and also have active noise "reduction" from Bose at a similar price point as the Galaxy buds. Perhaps they can be a cheaper alternative to the Airpods and the Sony's, I'd like to see how they compare. Though the micro-USB charging port is just disappointing in 2019.

52 minutes ago, RyanDOS said:

Don't forget about Amazon's Echo Buds! They seem to have a similar feature set and also have active noise "reduction" from Bose at a similar price point as the Galaxy buds. Perhaps they can be a cheaper alternative to the Airpods and the Sony's, I'd like to see how they compare. Though the micro-USB charging port is just disappointing in 2019.

All the reviews I've seen so far suggest they're not nearly as good as the Apple or Samsung options.  Sound quality and comfort being some of the main issues.  It'd be fun to see Linus review them, but I suspect we'd know the outcome... it's Amazon chasing after AirPods money and not doing a particularly great job of it.

regular ear buds fall out, you know the earbuds with the little plastic thing that conforms to the ear hole

how are the wireless ear buds different?

i dont want to be running along then lose a dam earphone

and the cable for regular ones always gets in the way sometimes

21 hours ago, maksakal said:

I'm guessing this isn't about corporate tribalism, more about the manner the review is conducted. Hey these are great. Actually they're not so great. But I got these for free so they're great. Don't buy these.

Kinda confusing, don't you agree?

I mean, I'd never buy them because they don't use USB C for charging, and Apple clearly doesn't provide full compatibility with non-Apple products (otherwise they'd offer an App for Android & Windows to fully utilize all features on the AirPods, but regardless of that, I agree these "reviews" are kind of confusing. I totally understand that 1) companies like dbrand sponsor these things so they can't be truly considered a review and 2) they're more meant to be a promotional advertising spot than a review anyway, but it really does feel disingenuous compared to a real-world review.

Gonna stick with my Logitech UE9000's for the time being, and most likely see if I can find an older pair of UE900's or just throw a sack of money at professional in-ear monitors from their Pro lineup. https://custom.ultimateears.com/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)