YouTube updated Terms of Service coming on December 10.

MrFixitBlankFace
4 hours ago, Energycore said:

Yes, and the people in this thread are part of the 2%

EDIT: In fact, I dare say we belong to the 0,5% who cares about the ToS but is lazy/smart enough to wait until someone reads it all and provides a concise, two paragraph TL;DR

there's another aspect you need to consider, even if someone reads all the way through and don't agree with the revised ToS , there's nothing that can actually do to get it changed, either they have to stop using the service entirely or just suck it up. are people gonna really stop using youtube because they didn't like a ToS revision?  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

45 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

no one can even understand the legal jargon in the ToS

they do it on purpose

That’s what the new TOS is trying to make clearer.  They’re really stressing the fact that the updated TOS is clearer to understand.

Won’t visit often..

* thread cleaned *

Let's keep this on-topic.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

RIP all the '10 hour <blank>' video channels I guess. Can't imagine they are very dollar/minute for YouTube.. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Wow, wow just wow. I want to find a way out of Google's tight grip of my life.

This seems like one of those stupid Facebook chain spams where you put up a message so they can't sell your identity, lol.

59 minutes ago, minibois said:

RIP all the '10 hour <blank>' video channels I guess. Can't imagine they are very dollar/minute for YouTube.. 

Just the Youtube account isn't a big deal. But got locked out of the whole Google eco system is troublesome. Google Docs, Gmail, Android...

6 minutes ago, Deli said:

Just the Youtube account isn't a big deal. But got locked out of the whole Google eco system is troublesome. Google Doc, Gmail, Android...

Pretty much that. Guess it's time to use an alt account for Youtube.

...I mean given how much of my entertainment comes from YouTube I could maybe pay for Youtube Red..... Naaaaah, who am I kidding, alt account it is.

edit: I just checked and YTP is 11.99€ a month for a regular user. That's... cheaper than Netflix but honestly still more than I'd comfortably pay. The student plan is 6.99, and imo that's what the regular user should pay...
Then again, I suppose it includes Youtube Music in the mix, and if you cancel the spotify sub that suddently becomes a decent deal.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Looks to me that it is more of they CAN (should they now choose), not they WILL.

Likely just a catch all so if they want to remove a channel for any reason they can just claim its commercially not viable to keep it live, easy scapegoat for them.

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

okay what the actual fuck now ._. what's going to happen to every single casual user who's not in it for serious?

I highly doubt they're going to start slapping accounts which dont monetize their videos or just stick to watching content only. Videos need viewers to make money and it would be backwards thinking if you start zapping a few million accounts. Unless they slap you for using adblock... that might fall into this scope.

3 minutes ago, comander said:

Unlikely. 
The same thing repeating over and over doesn't take up that much space with modern compression. 

This is just my opinion but: channels with 2 hours of VERY different video repeatedly being uploaded in private with 0 views are a MUCH more likely target. 

Was gonna say something along the lines of this. Channels that actively waste a lot of space and don't get any views (admittedly, kinda redundant here) don't do the site any good. The average person who actually uses YouTube shouldn't be affected by this, even if their videos don't get a lot of views.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

At this point, I wish I could go back in time and stop Google from buying YouTube.

They've just ruined it completely. Using it on mobile is nigh intolerable with the advertising.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Time to move to Bitchute?

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

At this point, I wish I could go back in time and stop Google from buying YouTube.

They've just ruined it completely. Using it on mobile is nigh intolerable with the advertising.

I still find it funny that they overpaid for it, and WhatsApp ended up going for 10x as much.

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

The exact wording of the new terms, set to come into effect in the US on December 10, reads: “YouTube may terminate your access, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the Service if YouTube believes, in its sole discretion, that provision of the Service to you is no longer commercially viable.

Food for thought : People that use adblockers aren't commercially viable ...

32 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

okay, but i use youtube to host my own projects. i have monetisation turned off (because i don't have the time to police ads, and i don't really feel my videos should ask for money in any way for now)

am i under that scope? 

Well rather than "hosting" let's call it "sharing". Youtube is a platform for sharing content and you're simply doing what said platform is made for. 

i think people are over reacting to the "terminate an account that isn't commercially viable".

if you delve into the ToS of any service or company, there will likely be a clause stating "we can terminate your account/access at any time with or without prior notification should you be in breach of any of the shit you clearly didn't read and/or because we feel like it"

Apple

If you fail, or Apple suspects on reasonable grounds that you have failed, to comply with any of the provisions of this Agreement, Apple may, without notice to you: (i) terminate this Agreement and/or your Apple ID, and you will remain liable for all amounts due under your Apple ID up to and including the date of termination; and/or (ii) terminate your license to the software; and/or (iii) preclude your access to the Services.

Invision (which these forums run on)

IPS reserves the right to terminate this agreement and Service at any time. In the event of a policy violation, in IPS' sole discretion, Customer shall not be eligible for a refund.

Twitch

Twitch can terminate this license at any time, without notice, including where we reasonably consider that: (a) your use of the Twitch Services violates these Terms of Service or applicable law; (b) you fraudulently use or misuse the Twitch Services; or (c) we are unable to continue providing the Twitch Services to you due to technical or legitimate business reasons.

Current Android/Google play ToS 

1. Suspension and/or Termination. If Google becomes aware of an End User's violation of the Google Play Terms of Service or Your violation of this Agreement, then Google may suspend and/or terminate the End User Account or the admin account, as may be applicable. If Google disables access to all End User Accounts or the admin account, this will disable access to the Service, including any Applications or account details that are stored with the applicable account.
  2. Termination for Breach. Either party may terminate this Agreement if the other party is in material breach, or if the other party materially breaches any provision of this Agreement and fails to remedy that breach within 30 days after receipt of written notice thereof.
  3. Termination for Convenience. Either party may terminate this Agreement for its convenience at any time upon 60 days notice to the other party; notice includes, but is not limited to, deletion of Your account, unsubscribing from the Service, or unbinding Your account from Your EMM provider.

Chase Bank 

Unless otherwise agreed, either the Bank or the Customer may close an Account or terminate a Service by giving the other party not less than thirty (30) calendar days’ prior written notice of intent to close or terminate. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either party may terminate an Account or a Service upon written notice to the other party in the event of: (i) a breach of the Account Terms, Account Documentation or Service Terms by the other party; (ii) the other party’s inability to meet its debts as they become due, receivership, administration, liquidation, or voluntary or involuntary bankruptcy; or the institution of any proceeding therefor, any assignment for the benefit of the other party’s creditors, or anything analogous to the foregoing in any applicable jurisdiction, or a determination in good faith by the terminating party that the financial or business condition of the other party has become impaired; (iii) a determination by the terminating party, in its sole opinion, that termination is necessary or required by applicable law, or as a result of a court or regulatory agency order or proceeding

Netflix

We may terminate or restrict your use of our service if you violate these Terms of Use or are engaged in illegal or fraudulent use of the service

Reddit

We may suspend or terminate your Accounts, status as a moderator, or ability to access or use the Services at any time for any or no reason, including for a violation of these Terms or our Content Policy.

Vimeo

Vimeo may terminate this Agreement at any time by providing thirty (30) days’ written notice, and users may terminate at any time by deleting their accounts.

If you breach this Agreement, Vimeo may, at its option: (a) terminate this Agreement immediately, with or without advance written notice; (b) suspend, delete, or limit access to your account or any content within it; and (c) to the extent permitted by applicable

Crunchyroll

Ellation reserves the right in its sole discretion, at any time, to modify, discontinue or terminate the Site or Services or to modify or terminate these Terms of Use without advance notice. Modifications to these Terms of Use or any policies will be posted on the Site or made in compliance with any notice requirements set forth in these Terms of Use. If any modification is not acceptable to you, your only recourse is to cease using the Site and Services. By continuing to use the Site or Services after Ellation has posted any modifications on the Site or provided any required notices, you accept and agree to be bound by the modifications.

Without limiting other remedies, Ellation may at any time suspend or terminate your Crunchyroll account and refuse to provide access to the Site or Services. In addition, Ellation may notify authorities or take any actions it deems appropriate, without notice to you, if Ellation suspects or determines, in its own discretion, that you may have or there is a significant risk that you have (i) failed to comply with any provision of these Terms of Use or any policies or rules established by Ellation; or (ii) engaged in actions relating to or in the course of using the Site or Services that may be illegal or cause liability, harm, embarrassment, harassment, abuse or disruption for you, Crunchyroll Users, Ellation or any other third parties or the Site or Services.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

52 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Food for thought : People that use adblockers aren't commercially viable ...

Food for thought: Advertising is fucking obnoxious and largely ineffective, and is in fact an industry based entirely upon the ability of advertising agents to convince executives that it actually generates sales.

If I owned a company, I'd fire my entire marketing division, tell advertising agencies to go *$#@ themselves, then find a single person in the company that knows enough about the products and or services, and task them with interacting with reviewers, whilst simultaneously dropping prices in proportion to the money saved by not having a marketing division.

And I'd be sure to ask the reviewers to mention the fact that we fired all advertising employees, don't run ads, and have decreased the prices in proportion to that.

Theory: People hate advertising far more than they are susceptible to it.

3 and 6 stand out to me.

Methinks Google is TERRIFIED someone will use a botnet (or several) to make their advertising results completely worthless.

It's almost as if the data they gather and sell for profit, could be weaponized against them....

2 hours ago, comander said:

Think of a channel that's basically using youtube for free personal video storage. 

Wasn't that the whole point of youtube initially lol

On 11/7/2019 at 8:23 PM, amdorintel said:

What is VLC?

An open source media player

Wait, so if I watch Linus video "How to build a PC" and learn how to build a PC, from Youtube... am I not allowed to now? Because those terms say if I'm not watching it... I'm not allowed to use any part of it...

Oh, I get it, if we have those goggles plugged into our eyes 24/7, then we can go about living our lives.

(I know, it's a joke!!! /s)