China turns on your game timer for those under 18

suits
Message added by Spotty

Stay on topic regarding the curfew on gaming. Just because it has "China" in the title does not mean it's an opportunity to rant about unrelated political issues.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.
10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, not fair.  But reasonable. 

You can disagree, but imo it's very obvious playing video games for hours on no end isn't healthy,  especially for children.  It's also often a cop out for parents to do any actual,  well parenting. 

I don't think it is reasonable unless these restrictions are set by the kid or parents. The government shouldn't be putting these kinds of restrictions on people. It's not healthy to read all day or watch TV but people do it. People choose to fill their free time with content consumption or whatever makes them feel fulfilled. 

What's next? Full blown 1984 where they wake you up every morning and force you to do exercise in front of the telescreen?

That doesn't seem unrealistic to me. Just look at the social ratings they are placing on people and the insane surveillance. What is happening in China is absolutely insane and the those in the "free" world should be alert and very concerned about what is there considering the global impact it can have on the world economy.  

I guess this is what communism looks like in the modern age. The Soviets could only have dreamed about the technology we have today and the power it would grant the government.

This is just another step towards 1984. Big Brother is totally watching you in China and now he is trying to get into the Chinese people's homes. This is just a step toward that goal.

I think gaming addiction is something best handled by psychiatric professionals, not government lawmakers.  Just my two cents.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

On 11/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, Caroline said:

It's not even about sex jokes, I couldn't care less about that tbh. But anyway I quit online 5-6 years ago and recently quit League which was the last online game I had. All of the games have toxic communities except for I don't know, farmville kind of crap

After trying countless times I realised it's pointless to keep trying, there's no right people, there are no friends to be found, no fun, I'm not nor I'll ever be welcome

now where did I put that rope

are you ok? like seriously if you need to talk to someone about something you can message me

On 11/7/2019 at 4:23 PM, Bcat00 said:

Some might say this is too extreme but there are strong cases in China pushing the government to pass this law. People dying in Internet cafes being the strongest one

You seriously thing they are doing this because they actually care? Nah, China just wants have full control over everything their citizens do.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

On 11/14/2019 at 3:41 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

You seriously thing they are doing this because they actually care? Nah, China just wants have full control over everything their citizens do.

I'm not going to start arguing whether or not they care, rather the fact that the citizens support them is enough to say whether they are doing a good enough job or not. There over a 1.3 billion people in that country. If the majority of the populous didn't like their own government then the ruling party would've collapsed by now.

Don't hate the system, hate the person running it. If they do a bad job someone will fight to turn them over, that's the fact of reality. Ignorance is not a bliss buddy

On 11/7/2019 at 9:27 AM, paddy-stone said:

I think this is overstepping. If the people in question are diagnosed to have an addiction/mental illness, then those people should be helped, including the "punishment" if it's needed... but not at the expense of everyone else. Living in a nanny state myself, I understand the negative effect the overstepping and restricting people that can make their own decisions (adults), has on them.

In this case it is about minors, that the government shouldn't need to enforce strict exclusions on IMO. The parents themselves should be able to limit their children's activities... or at the very least have some kind of "opt-in" that the parents can sign up for instead of limiting all children with some kind of block that probably won't do the job anyway. There are always ways for parents to limit their children when it comes to electricals really IMO. If the children don't go by your rules, you take away their use of whatever it is, even if you have to restrict your own activities.. if it will help the children, don't you?

Child won't curb their use of video games, escalate the punishment:-

1. Ground them from something else they like... take away any money you normally give them.
  2. Take away their devices if they still don't stop.
  3. turn off the wifi.
  4. unplug the router and hide it/lock it up.

There MUST be some way of punishing the child that they would have to take notice of... including the destruction of property if you must... as long as it's technically YOUR property that YOU bought. If it's the childs property, then restrict wifi as above. There must be something that YOU pay for that can be limited/removed from the children's use if you are a parent.

Agreed, it's down to the parents to know what they're doing.

Unfortunately boomers think that beating their kids and screaming at them helps...

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

16 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

I'm not going to start arguing whether or not they care, rather the fact that the citizens support them is enough to say whether they are doing a good enough job or not. There over a 1.3 billion people in that country. If the majority of the populous didn't like their own government then the ruling party would've collapsed by now.

Don't hate the system, hate the person running it. If they do a bad job someone will fight to turn them over, that's the fact of reality. Ignorance is not a bliss buddy

Its a matter that the people know the government would turn the military on them. Unlike the US I dont think a vast portion of the population is armed. Then there is also the fact that in China titles mean everything. Thats another reason they follow the goverment. They see those officals of higher titles as the ones in charge. The ones that should be followed.  Its just how their culture works. With the exception of Hong Kong, as that city was part of the UK for a long time. So those people knew freedom, then they city was handed back to China. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Addiction is not a thing, its just a way to deal with depression.

honestly i feel like thats half true.

Though it depends on the reason they got addicted

✨FNIGE✨

Just to clarify a few things that are commonly misunderstood by North Americans.

1. Using VPNs won't work, nor will gamers bother to. 99% of games are targeting Chinese only, they don't care if you are logging in from the other end of the world, they still ask for your ID, and if you failed to provide one, you are treated like a kid. (FYI, only Chinese IDs work, your North American ID of any kind does not)

2. There are other much easier ways to circumvent the system: just use your parents' ID and phone number. 

3. What about offline games? Well, they don't play offline games. Easy as that. 

Just an extra tip on why or how this is happening:

Most people in China are giant babies, they don't want to do stuff on their own, they want others to do it for them. They hate to take responsibilities, they don't want to think on their own or have opinions, when shits go wrong, their first instinct is to point fingers at others. So they want and need a giant parent to do things for them and tell them what to do, that giant parent is the government. 

Most people's parenting skill involves sending kids to school, punishing kids by physical or verbal abuse, and best case scenario, helping kids with their homework. 

On 11/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, Caroline said:

But anyway I quit online 5-6 years ago

....but your still online on ltt

what gives

you meant online games, do you play board games now?

25 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

less games, then what next step will "children" take?

FIGHT FOR FREEDOM!!

You won't be able to afford a PC at this rate anyway

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 minutes ago, williamcll said:

You won't be able to afford a PC at this rate anyway

the target group of the act is mobile games, mainly tencent

7 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the target group of the act is mobile games, mainly tencent

Good, I've seen too many parents that shut their kids up with a tablet.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Good, I've seen too many parents that shut their kids up with a tablet.

How about unplugging their pc?

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

How about unplugging their pc?

Good idea