Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
suits

China turns on your game timer for those under 18

Spotty

Stay on topic regarding the curfew on gaming. Just because it has "China" in the title does not mean it's an opportunity to rant about unrelated political issues.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.

Message added by Spotty

9 hours ago, bruny06 said:

I like this, chinese players will not be as skilled, now. Kidding aside, I wonder if this will work, since VPNs are a thing and it will not work for offline games. It should be the parents' job, anyway, to limit the amount of hours their kid spends playing games. But even then, just simply taking their gaming away, might not fix the issue. Speaking from experience, as a kid, I was uninterested in school. I had a laptop that I was using a lot of the time and, when I got bad results, which was not a surprise, my mom would take the laptop. I still wouldn't study. It's a matter of interest as well. Fortunately, I grew up, realised education was crucial, studied and landed a good job in IT.

dumb ass chines, i learnt to study instead of game on my own, why can't the chinese do that.

Adm

11 hours ago, bruny06 said:

I like this, chinese players will not be as skilled, now. Kidding aside, I wonder if this will work, since VPNs are a thing an

VPN's are probably blocked by China. Keep in mind China is very controlling over their internet services. They block content all the time and if VPN's are not blocked now, its only a mtter of time.

Haha, what? I don't think you have any grasp of how politics work in China at all. This will have no effect at all. In China, it's do as you're told, ok boss.

I'm glad I'm aging now, and won't be around for China's rise to power in the future.

10 hours ago, Tegos said:

Slightly unrelated but I remember this case from a good few years ago where a man in China killed his friend because he borrowed a rare weapon from him in an MMO and then sold it.

In a country where it's better to kill someone you might accidentally hit with your car than offer aid, this doesn't surprise me at all.

8 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yep, same here in the UK.

The UK is far from China.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Never ceases to amaze how people just blame parents.  Clearly that's the easy answer and doesn't require people to get invested in the problem.  Don;t like whats happening in society, must be the parents, don't like whats happening in schools, must be the parents.  Parents aren't allowed to parent anymore,  no one realizes this, but physical discipline is not allowed, raising your voice is not allowed,  taking things away is not allowed.  We have entered a world of precious snowflakes and all forms of parenting is now singled out as abuse of one description or another.  And the biggest issue here is all the finger pointing is done by squirts who are neither parents nor have formal education on the topic. 

How about if you are not a parent you don't post your opinions like they are undeniable facts.

Physical discipline doesn't really work. Thats already been proven in dogs.

I haven't seen anyone get blasted for raising their voice to a child.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 hours ago, Tegos said:

Slightly unrelated but I remember this case from a good few years ago where a man in China killed his friend because he borrowed a rare weapon from him in an MMO and then sold it.

So... He stole it then...

8 hours ago, Orangeator said:

This is true, in other cases. In this case, it's only applicable to those who are under the age of 18... Aka, parents are at fault.

Not always true as a legitimate addiction has nothing to do with parenting. If the child wants to do something they'll do their best to make it happen. Parenting is a critical factor but it's far from the only one that leads to potential issues.  

8 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

Some parents just shouldn't be parents.

Also, this is China we're talking about. The government stepping in and ruining everything for everyone is kind of how they've operated for years.

Both fair points?

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Never ceases to amaze how people just blame parents.  Clearly that's the easy answer and doesn't require people to get invested in the problem.  Don;t like whats happening in society, must be the parents, don't like whats happening in schools, must be the parents.  Parents aren't allowed to parent anymore,  no one realizes this, but physical discipline is not allowed, raising your voice is not allowedtaking things away is not allowed.  We have entered a world of precious snowflakes and all forms of parenting is now singled out as abuse of one description or another.  And the biggest issue here is all the finger pointing is done by squirts who are neither parents nor have formal education on the topic. 

How about if you are not a parent you don't post your opinions like they are undeniable facts.

You're not wrong in that a child is directly effected deeply by all of their surroundings, the parents being at the forefront. There are many ways of disciplining/rewarding your children that doesn't involve physical abuse, which isn't an effective means anyway. There's absolutely nothing wrong with raising your voice, it's a healthy way to express yourself. There's nothing wrong with taking something away as long as it's not a necessity. You have a right to raise your child as you see fit, not everyone will agree with your practices but they're entitled to their opinions as long as they're not forcing it on others (which some do, sadly). 

That's ok, there's nothing but toxic players in online games.

I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

40 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Physical discipline doesn't really work. Thats already been proven in dogs.

I haven't seen anyone get blasted for raising their voice to a child.

Here's the thing, it does work if the situation requires it (have spoken to professionals about it, I don't care if no one believes me as it's not the popular opinion and vastly not understood). 

Also when you work in social welfare long enough you get to see all sorts of stupid shit being passed of as "professional" advice for raising children.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

11 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

You're not wrong in that a child is directly effected deeply by all of their surroundings, the parents being at the forefront. There are many ways of disciplining/rewarding your children that doesn't involve physical abuse, which isn't an effective means anyway. There's absolutely nothing wrong with raising your voice, it's a healthy way to express yourself. There's nothing wrong with taking something away as long as it's not a necessity. You have a right to raise your child as you see fit, not everyone will agree with your practices but they're entitled to their opinions as long as they're not forcing it on others (which some do, sadly). 

Unfortunately as I have worked with early school children for some time now I have seen that side more often than I wish to.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

VPN's are probably blocked by China. Keep in mind China is very controlling over their internet services. They block content all the time and if VPN's are not blocked now, its only a mtter of time.

You won't get arrested for using a VPN, you might however get penalized for hosting unlicensed VPN servers.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

The population of China is 1.3 billion, how the Chinese government catch people who didn't follow the rule? 

They selling engineering sample CPU, false hardware on online store, and pirate download.

So I don't think Chinese people will be upset about this.

2 hours ago, Age of 9394 said:

The population of China is 1.3 billion, how the Chinese government catch people who didn't follow the rule? 

They selling engineering sample CPU, false hardware on online store, and pirate download.

So I don't think Chinese people will be upset about this.

you act like china hasn't long ago figured out how to be totalitarian to every single last one of their citizens

11 hours ago, Ehmc130 said:

So... He stole it then...

Basically, yes.

The guy got a rare weapon on a game called Legend of Mir 3. His friend asked if he could borrow it for a while (presumably to level up or something), and then sold it for 7,200 yuan, which was about 500 Euro at the time.

The original owner of the weapon tried going to the police, but at the time there were no laws in China covering property in online games. His friend offered to hand over the money he got from selling it, but the owner of the weapon instead just broke into his friend's home and stabbed him in the chest. He got a life sentence for it.

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

In a country where it's better to kill someone you might accidentally hit with your car than offer aid, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Wait, how's that work?

Ballz 3D is the greatest videogame ever made.

--

Space heater PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 550 4GB (640SP) || Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX/BR || Storage: 2x 500GB HDD || Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB 1600MHz) || PSU: CORSAIR VS500 (2017) || Case: TGT Stryker Mid Tower || Keyboard & Mouse: OEX Cobby, Fortrek Spider 2.

Haha, less gametime in week than many do daily. LULW

Great place. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Reminds me of that Simon Pegg movie, The World's End, Aliens try and curb humanities self destructive patterns by replacing them with robotic clones.

No Spoilers but it basically ends with them telling the Aliens to fuck off.

Same can be said for this, if people want to spend 20 hours a day in an internet cafe and explode like the glorious supernova they are then let them.

Too much bubble wrap is a bad thing, it makes the species weaker.

Governments should let people fuck their own lives up, it's their choice to be fucked up!

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

The UK is far from China.

No shit Sherlock.

I was referring to it being similar in the fact that stuff is done without the citizens consent, I'm positive that you have commented in a few of the threads about imposing IP blocks, imposing an adult material block etc etc.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Please use  https://www.dictionary.com/  if you don't know how to spell something with any confidence, to check.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/c4z9GX
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

In China, privacy is not a issue that is raised like never, so I am not surprised this regulation. However, a lot of laws/regulation in China is not enforced simply because there is no profit to be made by the government.

the first reaction i have is what is stopping the family from using the parents' id to register the account? they probly wont but, you kid can always just remeber their parent ID number easily, i know my parent's id number since junior high school. and the second, since there is not huge profit to be made and kinda hurting the gaming industry (keep in mind a lot of the game company is Chinese owned), i dont see this to be enforced. This regulation is probly just for show.

12 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Reminds me of that Simon Pegg movie, The World's End, Aliens try and curb humanities self destructive patterns by replacing them with robotic clones.

No Spoilers but it basically ends with them telling the Aliens to fuck off.

Same can be said for this, if people want to spend 20 hours a day in an internet cafe and explode like the glorious supernova they are then let them.

Too much bubble wrap is a bad thing, it makes the species weaker.

Governments should let people fuck their own lives up, it's their choice to be fucked up!

But there are patterns that ppl lacking social life has better chance become insane and go out hurting other ppl (just from my ass, not necessarily true). Then what do you do? you just arrest those who did when you know spending 20 hr/day on the internet is the cause? there will be public pressure on more regulations. Gun control is a good example. a lot of country do it because it's a known issue,

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

ppl lacking social life has better chance become insane and go out hurting other ppl

As someone who has no social life, I'd say that's not entirely true.

Ballz 3D is the greatest videogame ever made.

--

Space heater PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 550 4GB (640SP) || Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX/BR || Storage: 2x 500GB HDD || Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB 1600MHz) || PSU: CORSAIR VS500 (2017) || Case: TGT Stryker Mid Tower || Keyboard & Mouse: OEX Cobby, Fortrek Spider 2.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, Orangeator said:

That comes down to personal responsibility and piss poor parenting... This is not the governments role to step in. Total over reach.

Sad to say but the level of education in China is far inferior to more developed country. I know you and a lot of users on this forum won’t get the reasoning and the ideology of the Chinese populous backing this law, but that’s what is needed over there.

As for your overreach opinion, I personally agree with you since I had the liberty of enjoying the freedom of doing whatever I wish in the west. However, it’s a different world they live over there.

21 hours ago, mr moose said:

Never ceases to amaze how people just blame parents.  Clearly that's the easy answer and doesn't require people to get invested in the problem.  Don;t like whats happening in society, must be the parents, don't like whats happening in schools, must be the parents.  Parents aren't allowed to parent anymore,  no one realizes this, but physical discipline is not allowed, raising your voice is not allowed,  taking things away is not allowed.  We have entered a world of precious snowflakes and all forms of parenting is now singled out as abuse of one description or another.  And the biggest issue here is all the finger pointing is done by squirts who are neither parents nor have formal education on the topic. 

I think the law is pretty fair. More than 90 minutes on a weekday and 3 hours on a weekend, surely thats plenty? I think the law must be targeting extreme cases regardless. 

Hmmmm, have they been taking notes from me? 

What blasphemy 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

4 hours ago, Devin92 said:

But there are patterns that ppl lacking social life has better chance become insane and go out hurting other ppl (just from my ass, not necessarily true). Then what do you do? you just arrest those who did when you know spending 20 hr/day on the internet is the cause? there will be public pressure on more regulations. Gun control is a good example. a lot of country do it because it's a known issue,

Are you joking? Why would you think that the people are the people going our and shooting people? I don't believe I have seen any evidence supporting this. I will say this there is plenty of evidence of people going ape shit when they are addicted to games and suddenly have them taken away. I would wager a law like this would be more likely to incite violence than decrease it. 

2 hours ago, floofer said:

I think the law is pretty fair. More than 90 minutes on a weekday and 3 hours on a weekend, surely thats plenty? I think the law must be targeting extreme cases regardless. 

Probably, I just get tired of everything even remotely related to this turning into an episode of blame it on the parents.  People really need to think harder about society, games and the internet, the need for better education and most importantly the effects of being low SES.  

13 hours ago, Tegos said:

Wait, how's that work?

You'll get in less trouble if they're dead. Plus you won't have to pay for medical bills, lost wages, etc etc.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red