Help with avoiding bottlenecking

Go to solution Solved by King_Jahh,

Will it bottleneck a ~2080 level card? Oh yes, but mainly in newer titles, they just need more than 4 threads. Battlefiled V for example will happily eat up 10 threads. Rocket league on the other hand would probably happily run on a core 2 duo.

Like @Chiyawa said, if used market around you is good, get a 4th gen i7 and just OC the crap out of it (assuming cooling is good enough) The hyperthreading will really help out and probably give you another year or two breathing room before you have to do a full rebuild.

I'm in the UK and CeX (used hardware shop chain) has 4770k listed for £115($145 usd) so probably not too hard to find even cheaper looking at private sellers if you want to. Then sell your i5 and you'll probably get half the cost back anyway

I'm looking to upgrade my gpu, as I got a new 1440p/144Hz monitor earlier in the year and want to get the most of it, however am somewhat worried of possible bottlenecking. I'm looking at getting either an gtx 2070 super or potentially a 2080 super. Issue may be my i5-4670K cpu, although not sure if it will be a problem for now? 

My current build specs are as follows:

CPU: i5-4670K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600

Current GPU: MSI RX 480

PSU: Corsair CX 500W 

Monitor: Asus MG279Q ROG Dominator 27" 1440p 144Hz

Planned gpu upgrade: GTX 2070 super or 2080 super

I use my rig for gaming (gta v, rocket league, tomb raider, battlefield) as well as for a lot of 3D modelling work / rendering / production work, using Cinema 4D (planning to use Octane render once I get a nvidia card), Rhino, Maxwell render, Photoshop, etc. 

I realise that if I upgrade my cpu I would likely have to upgrade my motherboard, and possibly my ram as well, by which point I wouldn't really be able to afford a new gpu which is the main point of the upgrade for use with the monitor.

Let me know your thoughts on whether getting a 2080 super (or 2070 super) would be fine with my build, or if you have advice for how to better upgrade. I usually prefer to upgrade one element at a time, rather than upgrading several pieces with lower performance, but open to comments.

Thanks

Bottlenecks occur through how a machine is used , not the parts that are in the machine. Meaning you only get bottle necked by a component that is more in use than others. You can actually remove a bottleneck by just changing how you load the machine , but anyway....

Just get a 2080 and even if your cpu is a slow point you just save up for a new one in the future. The gpu can be moved to a new machine someday anyway. So no reason to not just opt for it if you can afford it.

It looks like your system is indeed old. To fully utilise your GPU, you need to upgrade your system to at least a more recent one.

Anyway, if you want to upgrade your system without spending much, try to search for a better CPU of your generation (such as Core i7-4770K or 4790K). It won't give you a lot of boost, but should give you a better experience overall. You can opt for 2nd hand temporary (cost much cheaper) until you have the money to upgrade your entire system.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Will it bottleneck a ~2080 level card? Oh yes, but mainly in newer titles, they just need more than 4 threads. Battlefiled V for example will happily eat up 10 threads. Rocket league on the other hand would probably happily run on a core 2 duo.

Like @Chiyawa said, if used market around you is good, get a 4th gen i7 and just OC the crap out of it (assuming cooling is good enough) The hyperthreading will really help out and probably give you another year or two breathing room before you have to do a full rebuild.

I'm in the UK and CeX (used hardware shop chain) has 4770k listed for £115($145 usd) so probably not too hard to find even cheaper looking at private sellers if you want to. Then sell your i5 and you'll probably get half the cost back anyway

Ryzen 7 2700X  | Gigabyte RX5700 XT | ASUS TUF B450M | HyperX Fury 2x16gb 3200MHz |  CM MasterBox Lite 3 (Mesh Modded) | Corsair MP510 960GB | Be Quiet Pure Power 11 700w

2 hours ago, King_Jahh said:

Thanks guys, really appreciated. 

I think I will heed your advice on updating my cpu to a 4770k or 4790k (also in UK) and save money whilst waiting for a future gpu upgrade - having looked into it a bit I think this is probably best anyway considering the expected nvidia Ampere planned to come out first half of next year.

Thanks again for the help!