Lisa Su confirms AMD Ryzen 4000 chips will be “coming in early 2020”

Flying Sausages
33 minutes ago, justpoet said:

WTB 8c/16t w/ Navi APU.

AMD, make it good so everybody likes it.  "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance…"

It’s probably just a 3600 with integrated graphics.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Intel has a stranglehold on the laptop market.

So far as AMD executes their recovery they have been more focused on areas that give them better margins. Laptops chips are low margin but very high volume. Intel has much stronger working relationships with all the laptop vendors and they design their products around Intel parts. Not easy for AMD to break that, having a superior CPU alone is not enough.

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Not easy for AMD to break that, having a superior CPU alone is not enough.

they have been opening up with HP, Lenovo, Microsoft and even Huawei. 

offcourse not putting the chips in the top products, but in step down products. (exception of Microsoft). 

i can see them having quite the success, even if its just on a couple of premium devices to start with. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

they have been opening up with HP, Lenovo, Microsoft and even Huawei. 

offcourse not putting the chips in the top products, but in step down products. (exception of Microsoft). 

i can see them having quite the success, even if its just on a couple of premium devices to start with. 

They need to make sure that the laptop vendors are designing and promoting products based on Ryzen APUs.

So far what they do is just take an Intel laptop, and for very few models just give a token option of an AMD chip. Whereas everything in the laptop from the cooling, to the power management, form factor etc was designed around Intel.

6 minutes ago, Humbug said:

So far what they do is just take an Intel laptop, and for very few models just give a token option of an AMD chip. Whereas everything in the laptop from the cooling, to the power management, form factor etc was designed around Intel.

well, the simple fact they are making it an option, show that they have some interest in it. at best, if they did a redesign it would involve a change to the heatpipe layout. 

adoption is offcourse gonna be slow, but at least there is some interest to have "trial" products in their lines

early next yr? not even the 3950x is out... I was expecting mid~3rd quarter 2020.

if they are rushing out the new chips meaning there is some flaw in current chips amd arent telling us

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

early next yr? not even the 3950x is out... I was expecting mid~3rd quarter 2020.

if they are rushing out the new chips meaning there is some flaw in current chips amd arent telling us

These are mobile APU chips, based on Zen2. The same technology in desktop Ryzen 3xxx series. It will just be called 4xxx series, but it is not Zen3.

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

its regarding APUs............

a lot of people are jumping to Zen 3 for some reason. 

Next year will also be quite fun, on CPU side they're really doing great. Navi is awesome too no doubt, but to come next flagship one will be more interesting to see. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

its regarding APUs............

a lot of people are jumping to Zen 3 for some reason. 

The bad number scheme. It was bad when Intel did it with HEDT. It is bad now AMD are doing it with APUs. 

Edit: to expand, I do like and think Zen 2 CPUs are great. But I have to say to someone, look at Zen 2 CPUs. I can't say look at Ryzen 3000 CPUs, because that includes Zen+ APUs. Sometimes I might say, look at Ryzen 3600+ CPUs, but that doesn't read well (and would exclude the china only part below it now).

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Can I run them on X370 though. I paid like $300 for this motherboard after taxes and extended warranty ?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, porina said:

The bad number scheme. It was bad when Intel did it with HEDT. It is bad now AMD are doing it with APUs. 

its an awful number scheme, wish they just linked generation number with the actual architecture. 

server can allways have the dumbest naming schemes, its server afterall. 

Wait, I'm missing something here I think...

Zen 1 had Ryzen 1000 series and the "tock" refresh was 2000 series.

Zen 2 is only Ryzen 3000 series then? and the "tock" will be known as Zen 3 instead?

I'd have thought that going to a new "zen" for new architecture would be a better idea, rather than a refresh? so Ryzen 4000 would be Zen 2+ in reality, but they're calling it zen 3?  doesn't make sense to me.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I'd have thought that going to a new "zen" for new architecture would be a better idea, rather than a refresh? so Ryzen 4000 would be Zen 2+ in reality, but they're calling it zen 3?  doesn't make sense to me.

The Ryzen 4000 in this thread is Zen 2 APU. The Ryzen 4000 mainline CPUs we get next year are expected to be Zen 3 (not Zen 2+). How much difference we will get in Zen 3... well, there's rumours floating around as always. Usual stuff, more IPC, more clock. If true, unified L3 cache per CCD will help my uses a lot.

Zen 2 was a big jump both in architecture and process, compared to the small gains from Zen to Zen+. Based on rumours it feels like Zen 3 compared to Zen 2 will still be a bigger jump than Zen to Zen+, but don't expect a Zen to Zen 2 size jump.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The Ryzen 4000 in this thread is Zen 2 APU. The Ryzen 4000 mainline CPUs we get next year are expected to be Zen 3 (not Zen 2+). How much difference we will get in Zen 3... well, there's rumours floating around as always. Usual stuff, more IPC, more clock. If true, unified L3 cache per CCD will help my uses a lot.

Zen 2 was a big jump both in architecture and process, compared to the small gains from Zen to Zen+. Based on rumours it feels like Zen 3 compared to Zen 2 will still be a bigger jump than Zen to Zen+, but don't expect a Zen to Zen 2 size jump.

Yeah, I got that this thread was about the Zen APUs. I was saying about the Zen 3 CPUs seeming to be more of a refresh Zen 2+ as they'll still be 7nm won't they?  I know that's probably more of my Layman's view of it as it stands at the moment though. I am still deciding whether to buy a Zen 2 CPU for a project I have in the works or wait for Ryzen 4000... that's just me though, a case in contradictions and indecision ?

Either way I am waiting with bated breath to see what actually comes out, and really happy with the Zen CPUs I have. I don't think I will ever go back to Intel as it stands, they'd have to bring a LOT more to the table on the performance per dollar rate to get me interested... unless of course I needed a specific task doing that Intel shines in compared to AMD. I haven't bought an Intel CPU since the 6700K, apart from for other people's computers I have built for them.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

OP: "We interviewed Lisa Su and she said that the 4000 series APUs (Zen 2) would be on AM4 and released early next year!"

Replies: "Wow the Ryzen 4000 CPUs (Zen 3) will be on AM4 early next year!"

13 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I was saying about the Zen 3 CPUs seeming to be more of a refresh Zen 2+ as they'll still be 7nm won't they?  I know that's probably more of my Layman's view of it as it stands at the moment though. I am still deciding whether to buy a Zen 2 CPU for a project I have in the works or wait for Ryzen 4000... that's just me though, a case in contradictions and indecision ?

There is speculation if there will be some minor process updates for Zen 3, but with or without that it could feed into the claims of slightly more clock (in a similar way to Intel's polishing of 14nm).

The wait could be some time though... we're not that far from Zen 2 launch and unless AMD wants to push forward at a very fast rate, probably best to figure about a year between cycles. Is Zen 3 really going to enable you to do something that Zen 2 wont? Or more a matter of having whatever is the newest thing on the block?

Honestly, I'd love to see them take defective next gen console SoCs, which are basically free as they would just be trash anyway, and throw them in an AM4 package. 

Can sell them pretty cheap as realistically they would have been going to the recycling plant anyway. Yeah, they would be bandwidth starved to high heaven but who cares if they're cheap. The only issue is, they probably won't have a DDR4 controller onboard, most likely using GDDR6... hmm...

Ps when will we get a 1-4GB stack of hbm2 as a L4 cache AMD, just think of the improvements you could have for TR and EPYC.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

17 hours ago, QXC said:

OP: "We interviewed Lisa Su and she said that the 4000 series APUs (Zen 2) would be on AM4 and released early next year!"

Actually she did state Zen 3 would be next eyar. But people are confusing the supposed release date of the 4000 Zen2 based APU's with the release of the 4000 series Zen 3 parts.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:00 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Nah, the thread title is just clickbait. It's mobile chips based off the current Zen2 design.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 hours ago, QXC said:

TBF the thread title just says Ryzen 4000, it doesn't mention mobile at all.

Op was looking for clickbait and they got it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Nah, the thread title is just clickbait. It's mobile chips based off the current Zen2 design.

No it's not check the OP again.

In fact here's the quote from the quote source which is itself a direct quote of Lisa Su's statement:

On 11/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

We’re well underway with Zen 3 as a follow-on, as well, for 2020 — lots of product activity. Even though 2019 was a big product year, I think 2020 will be an even larger product year for us.”