Lisa Su confirms AMD Ryzen 4000 chips will be “coming in early 2020”

Flying Sausages

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-ryzen-4000-early-2020-renoir-apu

spacer.png

AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, has confirmed that the red team’s next generation Ryzen 4000 Renoir APUs will be launching early next year. We expect that means January’s annual Vega techgasm, CES, will be featuring a whole load of AMD-based laptops to kick off the new year in style. The new Ryzen 4000 7nm mobile processors will be based on the current Zen 2 processor architecture, but it’s the choice of graphics component that we still don’t 100% know about within the new APUs.

Dr. Su was talking with VentureBeat after the recent earning’s call, and essentially rehashed a lot of the anodyne responses given to the questions from analysts. But when talking about the product stack for next year she has confirmed that the 7nm mobile chips will be coming early on in 2020.

“We’re also pretty excited as we go into 2020,” she says. “You’ll start to see our next-generation mobile products, as well, coming in early 2020. You’ll see 7nm mobile chips that have yet to come to market. That’s a pretty strong portfolio.

“We’re well underway with Zen 3 as a follow-on, as well, for 2020 — lots of product activity. Even though 2019 was a big product year, I think 2020 will be an even larger product year for us.”

The good news is that AMD is still sticking with its AM4 socket at least for this next generation of chips so there’s no need to ditch your motherboard just yet.

AMD is going to fight Intel head on in 2020 boys and girls. AMD Ryzen 4000 will be sticking to AM4 socket so that is a good new for those gamers that are on Zen 1 and Zen 1+ and skip Zen 2. I thought Zen 3 will be in 5nm architecture to shake things up more against Intel, but 7nm is not bad. Now will the Ryzen 4000 is going to run cooler than Zen 2? Zen 2 runs a little bit hot because the die is no longer in the center.  Will AMD is going to keep 8 core in 65W TDP?

Zen 2 APU. Damn the number system.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

26 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

AMD Ryzen 4000 will be sticking to AM4 socket 

Related image

Kinda glad they're actually sticking to 7nm, it gives them time to refine their architecture (sorta like Intel's old Tick-tock cycle)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

Already? That's crazy fast

Only a couple of months faster if its the 4200g and 4400g.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Kinda glad they're actually sticking to 7nm, it gives them time to refine their architecture (sorta like Intel's old Tick-tock cycle)

well, these chips are the APUs/mobile parts. the parts that have allways been a generation behind. 

they might re-use 7nm for Zen 3. or they might go 6nm or 7nm+ as allegedly those will have better yields. either from density, or just improvements

And uh, they've got some very interesting parts coming for mobile by the way.

There was a leak a few weeks back showing a Ryzen 9 Renoir part!

image.png.4538d20999ef46ca8d96e6de7398af57.png

So yeah..they got some fancy stuff coming.

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well, these chips are the APUs/mobile parts. the parts that have allways been a generation behind. 

they might re-use 7nm for Zen 3. or they might go 6nm or 7nm+ as allegedly those will have better yields. either from density, or just improvements

Correct, but I'm mostly content with the same socket being used which to me is a good sign for the future. Imagine the confusion is the Ryzen 4000 series APU's were compatible with AM4 but the 4000 series CPU's were the next gen socket only.

*Edit*

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time the Zen APU has launched before the CPU (within the same #000 series)?

Edited by TVwazhere

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Correct, but I'm mostly content with the same socket being used which to me is a good sign for the future. Imagine the confusion is the Ryzen 4000 series APU's were compatible with AM4 but the 4000 series CPU's were the next gen socket only.

that is true. i can see AMD skipping Zen 3 APUs to avoid confusion, maybe only making mobile parts. 

you know, imagine a mechanically identical socket not being compatible. 

chough

1151 and TR4 (assuming rumours are true)

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

that is true. i can see AMD skipping Zen 3 APUs to avoid confusion, maybe only making mobile parts. 

you know, imagine a mechanically identical socket not being compatible. 

chough

1151 and TR4 (assuming rumours are true)

1151 and TR4 are mechanically identical? I have some doubts

Just now, Epimetheus said:

1151 and TR4 are mechanically identical? I have some doubts

im reffering to the derivatives of 1151 and the other 1151 socket. 

also TR4 moving to a new socket with a different name while being mechanically identical. (according to rumourmill)

i was hoping i didnt need to elaborate

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

im reffering to the derivatives of 1151 and the other 1151 socket. 

also TR4 moving to a new socket with a different name while being mechanically identical. (according to rumourmill)

i was hoping i didnt need to elaborate

Oh, i thought you were referring to the change amd made between x399 and the new chipset for threadripper 3000

1 minute ago, Epimetheus said:

Oh, i thought you were referring to the change amd made between x399 and the new chipset for threadripper 3000

thats what im reffering to yes. 

So this just a "Tock"? architectural shrink to improve efficiency?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So they release the 3950X later this month and then do a whole refresh just a couple months later? 

Then why would I buy a 3950X?  Might as well wait a couple more months and see what Ryzen 4xxx brings. 

I'll gladly accept any APU thrown my way. Those suckers are little beasts!

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

Hyped

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

So they release the 3950X later this month and then do a whole refresh just a couple months later? 

Then why would I buy a 3950X?  Might as well wait a couple more months and see what Ryzen 4xxx brings. 

Mobile Zen2 parts are early 2020, not Zen3. Zen3 will be 2h 2020, probably announced at Computex.

Just now, MeatFeastMan said:

Mobile Zen2 parts are early 2020, not Zen3. Zen3 will be 2h 2020, probably announced at Computex.

Ah, missed the "mobile" part.  My bad !

55 minutes ago, Levent said:

So this just a "Tock"? architectural shrink to improve efficiency?

It's (Zen 3) an architecture revision on TSMC's 7nm+ process. Ryzen 3000 was on TSMC 7nm.

N7+ has identical yield rates to N7 and will steadily improve, while also offering a 20% increase to transistor density. There’s also a 10% performance uplift or 15% power efficiency increase. 

https://www.techspot.com/news/80237-tsmc-7nm-production-improves-performance-10.html

edit: I should say that it's pretty likely that some Ryzen 4000 CPUs will not be Zen 3 and 7nm+ products. Think of how Ryzen 3400G isn't actually a Zen 2 CPU.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Hopefully these have Navi graphics. It's so much better than vega.