Red Dead Redemption 2 PC benchmarks- move over Crysis ; UPDATED

Humbug
2 hours ago, CTR640 said:

So wtf is this? My 1080Ti is a piece of garbage shit now? Wow R*, you are as worst as Bugisoft.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

In other words, terrible optimization because R* didn't bother to make the game run decently on anything older than Turing based cards.

IMO not worth getting this game for PC, guess i'll wait for a sale or stick to console for Rockstar games.

This is why we can't have nice things. The optimization would only come from Nvidia's side. Rockstar isnt tinkering with things that are on the architecture level. When people cry UNOPTIMIZED at a game because it has advanced and taxing settings you encourage them to release Ultra settings that dont look any better than high or artifically limit what the game engine could produce.

RDR2 uses more advanced technologies than GTA V a game known to run like ass if you ACTUALLY make EVERYTHING max settings including advanced graphics options. Almost every video of gta v that claims to be max settings isnt because they dont max out msaa or turn on nvidia txaa if available or dont max out everything in the separate advanced options.

8 hours ago, Humbug said:

Ya, even in the guru3d comments under this article there are lots of people accusing nvidia of gimping. I think many people don't understand that what is going on is not active gimping, it is just that the nvidia software engineers who have limited time are spending their manhours trying to make Turing as fast as possible in the latest AAA games.

Older generations don't get the same attention because they are not trying to convince people to buy them anymore, that doesn't mean they are gimped or intentionally slowed down- just less optimized.

This is true although I think nvidia fucked up or may have done this intentionally. They arent like Radeon, they ARE the leading GPU maker. If anyone has enough engineers it's Nvidia, imo.

11 hours ago, Humbug said:

Some people seem to be having better luck on DX12 and some on Vulkan with this game. Not sure why. Best to try it yourself on your individual rig and see which is smoother.

Seems to me like Nvidia is about par on both but AMD should probably stick with vulkan no matter what. The game does default to it so not much risk there but I wouldnt waste time benching both on AMD.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Actually testing the R9 Fury series and posting this...awesome lol I was curious if I should buy this game if it would run well enough

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 hours ago, CTR640 said:

So wtf is this? My 1080Ti is a piece of garbage shit now? Wow R*, you are as worst as Bugisoft.

only if you run it in DX12 mode.. run it in Vulkan and you good. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Everyone: We want a new Crysis that really pushes modern hardware!

Rockstar: releases game that looks amazing where ultra is actually difficult to run for current gen 

Everyone: muh optimizations! 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Actually testing the R9 Fury series and posting this...awesome lol I was curious if I should buy this game if it would run well enough

I like how the Fury is destroying the 1060 despite being largely similar in most other games lol

very odd

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Apparently my GTX 1060 just became a doorstop for current games. ?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

4 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Calm down guys it's literally the second day the games been out, they have already pushed out 2 game and 2 launcher updates today, they're working as hard and fast as possible to get the game running smoothly for everyone. They can't test everyone's system before they release the game, they have some build combos they test it out on before release but it's not as intensive or the same drivers and programs, everyone's system is different, within the next couple weeks they'll have it sorted out and I'm sure running much more optimized.

While I agree...

I Still paid real $money's.

Game shouldn't be THIS broken (outside of GPU performance)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Everyone: We want a new Crysis that really pushes modern hardware!

Rockstar: releases game that looks amazing where ultra is actually difficult to run for current gen 

Everyone: muh optimizations! 

The question is- For those of you who have played it on PC- is it the best looking game to date technically?

Hard to judge from compressed online videos and static screenshots, games always look better in person. If the graphics horsepower has been put to good efficient use then it's very justified IMO.

3 hours ago, Humbug said:

The question is- For those of you who have played it on PC- is it the best looking game to date technically?

Hard to judge from compressed online videos and static screenshots, games always look better in person. If the graphics horsepower has been put to good efficient use then it's very justified IMO.

That's really the question.  I think (or at least hope) that people realize that demanding != unoptimized.  Unoptimized means it's unreasonably demanding for the visuals - hard to run but doesn't look good for it compared to other titles.  If it's just hard to run but looks great, then there's nothing wrong, it's just a demanding, good looking game.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well rip my 2070 on a 3440x1440 resolution. Looks like I will be picking it up in a sale in maybe 5 years?

Just got a new 1440p monitor. Looks like I'm probably gonna have to play it either low 1440p or medium 1080p for the frames I want with my 1080. Would of been nice if they had included some benchmarks of lower quality settings. 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

I am on 3440x1440, using a mixture of high and medium settings. 1080ti, 8700k, 32gb 3200mhz ram. I get 45 to 60fps which isnt horrible at all.

TL;DR, hopefully wait for the 3000 series nvidia cards.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

Also, for anyone saying that this game is a "bad" console port, please understand and remember how demanding GTA V was back in 2015 during the 900 series Nvidia cards.

Normal texture settings got you above 60fps on 1440p. Very High texture settings got you 60fps or less at the same. Yes, even the Titan struggled.

The game did improve over time, but the next generation of cards literally made it much more playable and eventually, even a GTX 980 mobile chip could run the game above 60fps consistently at higher settings.

So either upgrade your GPU to the 2000 series, or wait for the next generation. It's up to you. This is the first game to actually put my 1080Ti to work after 2 years. So next year sounds like upgrade time.

The time is now, old man.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

6 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

Also, for anyone saying that this game is a "bad" console port, please understand and remember how demanding GTA V was back in 2015 during the 900 series Nvidia cards.

Uh what? Dude I played GTA V on a 8800GT without a problem when it came out. Low and medium settings 1080p and was getting between 30-50 fps. 

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I like how the Fury is destroying the 1060 despite being largely similar in most other games lol

very odd

it could be possible they made the game with async compute in mind. something every new card has these days. from GCN onwards from AMD (dont know if terrascale had it) and Turing Onwards with Nvidia. 

hopefully pascal gets a bump down the line with a few patches. perhaps Vulcan will get a nice bump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Brehohn said:

Normal texture settings got you above 60fps on 1440p. Very High texture settings got you 60fps or less at the same. Yes, even the Titan struggled.

The game did improve over time, but the next generation of cards literally made it much more playable and eventually, even a GTX 980 mobile chip could run the game above 60fps consistently at higher settings.

So either upgrade your GPU to the 2000 series, or wait for the next generation. It's up to you. This is the first game to actually put my 1080Ti to work after 2 years. So next year sounds like upgrade time.

The time is now, old man.

Except GTAV is not a console port. It has always run awesome on my GTX780 with Textures on Very High and other settings a mixture of high and very high and steady 1080p60. And it has run awesome since launch day. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's really the question.  I think (or at least hope) that people realize that demanding != unoptimized.  Unoptimized means it's unreasonably demanding for the visuals - hard to run but doesn't look good for it compared to other titles.  If it's just hard to run but looks great, then there's nothing wrong, it's just a demanding, good looking game.

ARK is a good example if a game that is optimized (talking game level) badly. With RDR2 we will be seeing driver updates that improve performance.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

Except GTAV is not a console port. It has always run awesome on my GTX780 with Textures on Very High and other settings a mixture of high and very high and steady 1080p60. And it has run awesome since launch day. 

How was GTA V not a console port? It launched on console, people petitioned for the game to even be considered for PC release, and we got it 2 years later. The 980 was fresh at the time so yeah, of course a 780 will do decent, but only with a mixture of settings like you said at 1080p. Whereas the 980 and 980ti could achieve 60fps easier, at launch, at 1440p.

Same thing is happening with my 1080ti. 2 year old hardware does decently well enough, but the 2080ti is able to perform more stable at 60fps, very high settings, 1440p.

49 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

How was GTA V not a console port? It launched on console, people petitioned for the game to even be considered for PC release, and we got it 2 years later. The 980 was fresh at the time so yeah, of course a 780 will do decent, but only with a mixture of settings like you said at 1080p. Whereas the 980 and 980ti could achieve 60fps easier, at launch, at 1440p.

Same thing is happening with my 1080ti. 2 year old hardware does decently well enough, but the 2080ti is able to perform more stable at 60fps, very high settings, 1440p.

GTA4 was worse. At that time the most highest end GPU's were the ATi HD4870 and it ran like shit. The whole Gtaforums.com was overflooded with issues. The GTX780 was a bit old when GTAV came out and it does very well, actually much better than expected. But if GTAV PC is a port, then it's extraordinary optimized. The 980 and 980Ti are better than 780, that's true. 

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

GTA4 was worse. At that time the most highest end GPU's were the ATi HD4870 and it ran like shit. The whole Gtaforums.com was overflooded with issues. The GTX780 was a bit old when GTAV came out and it does very well, actually much better than expected. But if GTAV PC is a port, then it's extraordinary optimized. The 980 and 980Ti are better than 780, that's true. 

I have a 1080Ti and am not complaining a single bit. This game IS intensive to run. It's running on an engine that has TONS of ways to cater to your experience. You're saying its buggy and unoptimized. Do we need to remind you how bad Fallout 76 was? This has a launcher and loading issue, that can be fixed. This game actually supports ultrawide, HDR, ingame voice chat, etc. It could be WAY WORSE. Just because you spent $1000 TWO years ago doesnt mean your card is going to outlast 2 or 3 years. Graphical technologies are in fast pace right now. Get a 2080Ti or wait for the 3000 series.

Meanwhile, dont complain about something you havent even bought. I have a 1080ti, 8700k, and 32gb of ram enjoying this game from 45 to 60fps on ultrawide settings. So unless you have 4K or ultrawide, I'm sure you will be fine at high settings at 1080p or 1440p.

11 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

I have a 1080Ti and am not complaining a single bit. This game IS intensive to run. It's running on an engine that has TONS of ways to cater to your experience. You're saying its buggy and unoptimized. Do we need to remind you how bad Fallout 76 was? This has a launcher and loading issue, that can be fixed. This game actually supports ultrawide, HDR, ingame voice chat, etc. It could be WAY WORSE. Just because you spent $1000 TWO years ago doesnt mean your card is going to outlast 2 or 3 years. Graphical technologies are in fast pace right now. Get a 2080Ti or wait for the 3000 series.

Meanwhile, dont complain about something you havent even bought. I have a 1080ti, 8700k, and 32gb of ram enjoying this game from 45 to 60fps on ultrawide settings. So unless you have 4K or ultrawide, I'm sure you will be fine at high settings at 1080p or 1440p.

Excuse me but why are you implying I spent $1000 TWO years ago on it? No, I didn't, I waited at the right moment for it to be under €700 and it did: €680 and that was last year. I had my 780 since April 2014 and September 2018 it got upgraded. I am very well aware the 1080Ti will be weak in future. I expected R* to optimise RDR2 as they did with GTAV but maybe most of us were naive.

And now, I don't play Fallout 76 but I heard it's bad. But I only play open-world games and in this case, only GTA and some older games too. I'll see when I'll get RDR2.

DAC/AMPs:

56 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

My beef isn't that my $1000 card is getting old. My beef is that, in literally every other title(well, every other title that review sites benchmark with) it is performing roughly on par with the 2080 or 5700 XT. There are a few percents here and there swinging in either direction for all three, but they are mostly +/- 10%. You can use that and generalize over most of the AAA games out right now and be pretty safe and expect a certain performance.

But in this particular game, the 2080 and 5700XT are performing as expected but suddenly all of the pascal cards, as a GPU family, don't follow this trend? Why? The most obvious conclusion to draw is the drivers were not optimized for the pascal architecture. nVidia is a business after all, and they are just as aware as we are how strong of an architecture pascal was. It makes sense they would want to purposefully make them underperform in a new, very popular first-time-on-PC title like this to get people to buy into their new stuff. Maybe purposefully underperform are the wrong words. More like....not necessarily do their best to optimize the driver for them? Like they had their A team working on Turing optimizations and the C team who only works Tuesdays and Thursdays doing pascal? lol.

I actually don't think this thought is that tinfoilhat-y.

15 hours ago, Humbug said:

It would be super useful if anyone could answer this. It looks pretty amazing from the videos but I can't be sure. The snow especially.

I don't think it's fair to solely blame NVIDIA for not optimizing drivers for Pascal, if that is even the case. Outside of trying to do some promotional/branding deal, It's not NVIDIA's responsibility to go out and optimize someone else's application, mostly because they need to have access to the shader code of the engine to begin with. It's up to the application's developer to contact the manufacturer for help in optimizing the shader code. If Rockstar did ask NVIDIA for help but NVIDIA chose to not incorporate the changes (which they could easily verify), Rockstar would, one would think, make a stink about this.