Corsair AIO running CPU at 200 (F)

Go to solution Solved by EthanWater,

TO close this out, Corsair RMA's my GPU - and not i'm running at around 100-110 F, seemed to be a bad pump. 

Well, after restarting the system laying down, with the rad disconnected from the case being held directly above the cpu, reseating with (more) thermal paste (still not enough to squeeze out the sides, double checked that) I'm back down to 120-150 (f) degrees. 

Capture.JPG

23 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you are mounting an AIO cooler vertically you want the hoses on top(higher) if you mount it the other way it puts a decent amount of strain on the pump. If you are mounting horizontally in the case it doesn't matter. Fish tanks filtration systems and cars cooling are completely different from an AIO CPU cooler.

I have to disagree i found a couple different post regarding hoses top or bottom i found the following, i know it is a different cooler but principle should be the same

Hey all,

I'm new to the self contained water cooling world and have recently purchased a Corsair H60 to keep my Ivy Bridge 3570K CPU moderately cool when overclocking. When I mounted the water cooler, I noticed a decently loud noise coming from the cooler and had contacted Corsair on the issue after trying to do some research of my own by looking at how others mounted theirs with a quick Google photos search.

Apparently after waiting a few days for a response I learned from Corsair that I mounted the radiator upside down (with hoses on top) so hopefully after learning this myself I can help others not make the same mistake. I quickly turned my radiator to the hoses down position and behold, no more noise!

From what I've read, liquid coolers should have their radiators mounted preferably with the hoses at the bottom, because the air in the closed loop rises to the top of the radiator and that can cause noise in the pump and even affect its durability in the long term.

However, when the hoses are too short (and this seems to be the case with Corsair's CPU coolers), they should still work, if only a bit noisier and for a little less time.

Not sure if i am allowed to link to out side pages but these quotes seem to fall into the same thought process as what i was saying. there were many more btw

11 minutes ago, Tallguy64 said:

I have to disagree i found a couple different post regarding hoses top or bottom i found the following, i know it is a different cooler but principle should be the same

Not sure if i am allowed to link to out side pages but these quotes seem to fall into the same thought process as what i was saying. there were many more btw

@Corsair Nick Is there any particular way when mounting one of your guys' AIOs vertically to have it positioned? I know NZXT and some others have in the manual that when mounted vertically you want the tubing to be equal level the CPU block or mounted in the top position, you don't want to mount it upside down towards the bottom of the case below the CPU block. Any insight you can bring into this?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

30 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

Well, after restarting the system laying down, with the rad disconnected from the case being held directly above the cpu, reseating with (more) thermal paste (still not enough to squeeze out the sides, double checked that) I'm back down to 120-150 (f) degrees. 

At this point, I think your AIO is DOA. You said this was a replacement unit, I assume for aesthetics reasons (which looks very nice btw). Do you still have your old CPU cooler? If so, swap them out and see what you get. I think you may need to RMA your current cooler.

56 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

At this point, I think your AIO is DOA. You said this was a replacement unit, I assume for aesthetics reasons (which looks very nice btw). Do you still have your old CPU cooler? If so, swap them out and see what you get. I think you may need to RMA your current cooler.

I don't have the other cooler, this one was sent to me by Corsair as part of an RMA because the 1st batch of h100i white editions had a recall for leakage. I'm worried im going to have to RMA this one as well. 

4 hours ago, EthanWater said:

that sounds ok to me

Quick question, but have you measured the temperature with any other software other than the Corsair iCue software? Try HwInfo64 or Aida64 or any other program with temperature monitoring. You can even check the CPU temperature in BIOS.

5 hours ago, EthanWater said:

Is that while under load or while the system is idling?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 hours ago, EthanWater said:

This is (obviously) a clear sign of air inside your AIO. Holding your radiator over the pump allowed the air bubbles out of the pump and into the radiator. If it was only an extremely small amount of air inside you probably wouldn't even notice it but this is clearly not a small abount. I think you need to RMA your cooler. I have had Corsair AIOs on my last 3 PCs and have not yet had any issues. They have all worked perfectly for 3-5 years when I changed them. I think you just had some bad luck with this cooler.

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

Quick question, but have you measured the temperature with any other software other than the Corsair iCue software? Try HwInfo64 or Aida64 or any other program with temperature monitoring. You can even check the CPU temperature in BIOS.

Is that while under load or while the system is idling?

idiling

8 hours ago, Boyohan said:

This is (obviously) a clear sign of air inside your AIO. Holding your radiator over the pump allowed the air bubbles out of the pump and into the radiator. If it was only an extremely small amount of air inside you probably wouldn't even notice it but this is clearly not a small abount. I think you need to RMA your cooler. I have had Corsair AIOs on my last 3 PCs and have not yet had any issues. They have all worked perfectly for 3-5 years when I changed them. I think you just had some bad luck with this cooler.

i've used their AIO's on my last two builds as well with zero problems, so I was so confused with the issues i'm currently facing.

21 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

@Corsair Nick Is there any particular way when mounting one of your guys' AIOs vertically to have it positioned? I know NZXT and some others have in the manual that when mounted vertically you want the tubing to be equal level the CPU block or mounted in the top position, you don't want to mount it upside down towards the bottom of the case below the CPU block. Any insight you can bring into this?

Don't believe it's posted on our site or QSG, I'd have to go back and double check.  The rule of thumb is to try and have the connections on the radiator to be at the bottom, and the highest point of the radiator to be higher than the pump head.  This will:

• Keep the pump primed
  • Bleed bubbles into the radiator endtank rather than trapping them in the loop

However, depending on your case and cooler selection, sometimes tube length or radiator placement prevents the preferred orientation.  The pump will take a couple minutes to prime, and you may hear gurgling or surging on start up.  The highest part of the radiator should be above the pump head in all situations.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

17 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Don't believe it's posted on our site or QSG, I'd have to go back and double check.  The rule of thumb is to try and have the connections on the radiator to be at the bottom, and the highest point of the radiator to be higher than the pump head.  This will:

• Keep the pump primed
  • Bleed bubbles into the radiator endtank rather than trapping them in the loop

However, depending on your case and cooler selection, sometimes tube length or radiator placement prevents the preferred orientation.  The pump will take a couple minutes to prime, and you may hear gurgling or surging on start up.  The highest part of the radiator should be above the pump head in all situations.

Highest point is above the pump head for sure, (by about an inch), I don't think it will work with the pipes facing down because the GPU will get in the way. Also - with you saying to point pipes down i'm getting conflicting information, i've heard both pipes up and pipes down, I believe Linus said pipes up on a video recently when he was building the custom loop using Corsair's parts. 

• 3 weeks later...

TO close this out, Corsair RMA's my GPU - and not i'm running at around 100-110 F, seemed to be a bad pump. 

5 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

Do you mean your AIO, not GPU?

Glad it's solved.

Yes, that's what I mean. Sorry, got GPU on the brain, trying to hunt down an SLI bridge.