What Would You Buy Used?

jiyeon

Buying Used Products  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would you buy used?

• PC Hardware - CPU, RAM, GPU, Motherboard etc.
    • Laptops
    • Peripherals - Speakers, Headphones, Earphones, Keyboards, Mice, Monitors etc.
    • Mobile Devices - Phones, Tablets etc.
    • Other items not listed above
    • I would not buy used products of any kind.

I recently had a discussion with some friends about what types of used technology we would buy, so it spurred on my curiousity, what kind of technology would you buy used?

For me, I can personally buy the following used:

• PC Hardware - CPU, RAM, Motherboard (as long as it's known working), GPU (as long as it was not a mining card)
  • Speakers
  • Monitors

I'm very picky with what things I would buy and used if they were second-hand. One of the most particular items that I discussed with my friends were in-ears and keyboards, as I would find it disgusting to use those no matter how hard they would be cleaned. For keyboards, I can accept changing the keycap set as vintage keyboards are a hot thing.

So, what would you buy used? I've included a poll but feel free to discuss further outside of the poll. :)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

In theory, I'll buy anything used so long as it's in working condition. But if I'm shopping online without being able to test the item beforehand, I'll only go with mobile devices and laptops. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Definitely PC hardware. Those dont usually have lots of direct human contact and usually last a long time.

NO in ear headphones of any kind. 

Most likely not keyboards, mice or headphones. Maybe speakers, possibly Monitors.

Laptops, Tablets and phones are iffy, depending on specs and price (battery replaced recently?)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It depends. If the source I'm getting the used part from is reliable and honest, I have no problems buying used.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

I'd buy speakers used for sure, but only after listening to them first. I'd not purchase a pre-owned mouse/keyboard or earphones, especially earbuds.

I'm fine with buying anything used (even in-ear headphones) as long as it's in good condition. It doesn't matter if it's dirty or dusty, I clean all used products I buy multiple times before using them.

Gonna have to agree with @handymanshandle here.

In terms of PC hardware, I wouldn't get a PSU or storage device second hand, but otherwise I would be alright with all the other stuff.

In terms of peripherals, unless I got a killer deal on some headphones, I would pass on second hand headphones. Mice can just be very tough to clean.. So pass.

All the other stuff (including keyboards) I would get second hand.

Phones tablets.. I just don't care enough about those to get 2nd hand I guess.

Other than the items mentioned, I also get a ton of gaming related stuff second hand, including consoles, handhelds and controllers. Typically I love taking these items apart though and cleaning them up (man, people can be dirty with their stuff..).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If I could test it in person first (given that it's actually helpful), I'd consider it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I used to be super picky about used stuff, now it's just kind of whatever.

I don't do used storage though. Or used IEMs.

Used to not do used keebs, but now I will and just give it a thorough cleaning and change the keycaps.

I have a couple of pairs of second hand headphones. I sanitize them and put on new pads/headband if not leather.

Used laptops I wouldn't do mainly because I tend to not go backwards when it comes to laptops. I'd probably only do it for resale.

Only things I wouldn't buy used unless they still have a reciept and still in the warranty period are PSU's and AIO's. Also anything that's quite expensive must have a reciept and still have warranty. I don't want to risk paying 70-80% of the rrp to have it die on me and not be able to warranty it. Nothing wrong with buying used IEM's, just buy some new tips. I can see why people don't want to buy used keyboards, mice and headphones due to hygiene reasons.

I used to be all about buying new/unused but that's drastically changed in the last few years.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I only buy used Cars.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I buy a lot of stuff new, a lot used. Always depends on my budget or what it is (for example, I can't exactly hop over to Amazon and order some DDR3 or an X58 mobo for a reasonable price if at all). I tend to buy lots of PC hardware used/refurbished, stuff like PSUs generally new though. Laptops and mobile devices I've bought used, but I generally don't like to do that unless I know the person and know how the device was treated. Macs would often be an exception. So long as they've been taken care of at least semi-decently, the mid-2012s (my favorite gen and what my daily driver for work is) just keep kicking, the fuckers don't like to break (other than the ones with faulty dGPUs but I forget whose fault that was, and the 13" and good 15" models don't have those anyways). As far as peripherals go, I'll happily buy used monitors. Keyboards and mice I've only gotten used from people I actually know (in the case of my current keeb and mouse, from cousins who I know pretty well so I'm sure the peripherals aren't all nasty). Consoles would again be the exception here, I've yoinked some Wii controllers and such because they were cheap and I needed a set of them. Also got my Wii U used, but my Switch I bought new (they don't go for much less than brand new on the used market anyways, IMO it's worth the extra $50-100 to be 100% sure of exactly what's happened to it over time). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I think most of the time used hardware is at least worth looking in to. That said IMO a good middle road is Amazon Warehouse. Pretty good deals (got my Samsung Q60R for $700, 500 off the normal price, and $100 off my Switch) and they're looked over by Amazon first so there's a 95% + chance that they'll work. In terms of buying used in the sense of Craigslist/eBay, I'd buy

- CPUs (don't ususally break unless you try to)

- Motherboards (But only if it's significantly cheaper than new)

- RAM

- GPUS

- PSUs

- Monitors

Drives degrade, so you should never buy those used, unless it's part of a package deal.

If you're looking for a cheap laptop it might be worth looking into used ThinkPads, but I'm typing this on an XPS 15 so that's not a concern for obvious reasons

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I won't ever buy ANY tech used from someone else unless it is refurbished and has a guarantee on it by a trustworthy company aswell.

Risk of getting something that has hidden flaws is too high for me, also buying something from a private person includes no guarantee, so if it really happens to be a damaged product and i find out afterwards its way too much trouble and even sometimes impossible to get back my money.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

Lots of stuff I bought for myself or helped buying with for others is second hand (or has been given to me).

PC hardware: CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler, GPU, RAM, PSU. For cases I'd probably just get a new one, they are relatively cheap (unless I get them for free, of course). Storage... still unsure about that myself, I think I'd go all new here though - but free things are always welcome and can definitely take place as a lesser important drive.

My previous laptop was second hand, by sister's laptop is second hand, my mother's laptop is second hand. I guess that explains itself. :P

Speakers, sure. Headphones and earphones, nah. If I look at my own in ears, which are disgusting, I wouldn't dare putting those of others in my ears. Keyboards and mice I have used second hand for years though. And as for monitors... ALL of my monitors are second hand, and I own quite a few of em (I believe 10 in total).

Mobile devices: the iPads we use(d) are all second hand. My dad's phone is second hand as well. I have a new phone, because I wanted a proper upgrade from what I used before, and am extremely picky with how it's cared for.

Other products: my chair was second hand too. I believe my bed (frame) was second hand as well. Our car was nearly 13 years old when we bought it. Two of my three bikes are also second hand. I guess lots of things we buy are second hand. :D

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I'm rockin' a used GTX 1070, so yes, I will buy used PC hardware from a reputable source.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

I would purchase used: Anything I can verify works, or is backed by something like Ebay/Paypal protection (Especially when the price is right, Bob)

I would not purchase used: prophylactic or its ilk

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I would purchase anything used if it works, the price is right and I have a need/want for it. All my computers are made from used hardware, most my furniture is repurposed and all my clothes are preloved, albeit tailored a bit. 

As far as technology goes, I buy pretty much all my PC stuff used except mice and keyboards. I find the hunt more fun than buying new, and it means that my PC usually results in me making money, not spending money. Cell phones I'll buy used but in excellent condition, though it's usually a review unit that someone's selling almost immediately.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm big on selling off my old gear before it becomes completely worthless, I'd rather someone use it if I can't. I tend to stay away from used gear for myself, I'd rather pay extra to get warranty support and have peace of mind that everything is in good order. It's worth the extra upfront cost to ensure you're getting what you paid for. Just my two cents.  

As long as the item in question works and is in good condition, I will buy used hardware of a wide variety.

Think the last piece of hardware I bought new in a while was a DDR4 RAM kit a few years back and that was for my used 5960X.  :P  The majority of my computer hardware and all my monitors where bought used.  Even all the cases.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

A house apparently.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Gold, silver, jewels, collector coins and what you buy in a brothel is also "used"