iPad Vs iPad AIr (2019)

HeyIAmInfinity

My iPad Air 2 died yesterday and i'm looking to replace it. I'm wondering if the new iPad Air better performance is actually useful or if it would be better to get the normal iPad.

I used my iPad for 6-10 hours a day as a calendar/notepad, monitor for twitch chat, streaming for videos and reading.

I'm not considering a different tablet than an iPad due to software.

Does the better hardware actually make a difference for streaming videos (my old iPad had some issues), or am i just buying a higher storage?

If anyone has either the new ipad or the new ipad air, i would like to know if it overheats and how is the performance for streaming/converting videos?

Performance wise, no difference since the chipset is the same. You'll get a bigger screen.

My bad, i thought you were talking about ipad mini.

The new ipad sports the new cpu, so it should run faster.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Performance wise, no difference since the chipset is the same. You'll get a bigger screen.

iPad air has A12

iPad as A10

15 minutes ago, HeyIAmInfinity said:

My iPad Air 2 died yesterday and i'm looking to replace it. I'm wondering if the new iPad Air better performance is actually useful or if it would be better to get the normal iPad.

I used my iPad for 6-10 hours a day as a calendar/notepad, monitor for twitch chat, streaming for videos and reading.

I'm not considering a different tablet than an iPad due to software.

Does the better hardware actually make a difference for streaming videos (my old iPad had some issues), or am i just buying a higher storage?

If anyone has either the new ipad or the new ipad air, i would like to know if it overheats and how is the performance for streaming/converting videos?

If you're using your tablet for that long every day, go for the iPad Air.  It's not so much that it'll be better for videos (though it should be better for converting clips) as that it'll be smoother overall, and give you a higher-quality display while you're at it.

There is only 1 Reason, to get the regular iPad (10.2"), over the Air 3:

You can't afford the Air 3.

It's A12 vs. A10. A huge performance difference. You won't notice it always, but a 2 year newer Chip WILL be supported longer, and will be more future proof. And, if you convert Videos, the additional Performance helps alot.

Display is better in 2 ways: Laminated, AND supports P3 color space.

7MP Front camera vs. 1.2MP.

iPad 2018 from March 2018 vs. iPad 2019 (10.2"):

Both support the A10. Disappointing for the new one to feature the same old Chip. But well.

It comes with a bigger screen, Smart connectors (not very usefull, since there are only 2 Keyboards for it. The completely overpriced  Apple keyboard, i would never recommend, and the Logitech Keyboard), and 3gb Ram over 2gb Ram. This alone is kinda worth going for the newer 10.2" iPad. More Ram = More updates in the Future.

Alternative to the Air 3: iPad Pro 10.5", you can find it quite cheap, sometimes cheaper than the Air 3.

It can do better:

- 120 Hz Display. Extremely nice for every single scrolling / swiping. I love it.

- Thinner

- MUCH better Rear Camera with OIS and Flash (for scanning Documents, etc)

- Real Stereo Speakers. If you watch videos alot, this will give you a much better User experience.

- 4GB Ram (instead of 3), that's a big difference.

It comes with an older A10X, but it's a "-X" Chip.

The A12 has around 20% higher CPU performance (i doubt you will ever notice a big difference there), but the A10X has 30-40% more GPU Performance than the A12 Chip.

So it's just a small Trade for much better Hardware.

Best points are the 4gb Ram, Stereo Speakers, and 120 Hz.

And i think, because it is a "Pro" (and not just a regular consumer model), and comes with more Ram, it will not get less Updates than the Air 3, despite beeing 2 years older.

I have the Pro 10.5" since 1 1/2 Years now. Mainly using it for browsing, Video streaming (youtube, Netflix, Browser Streams), and digital Note taking with Notability and GoodNotes 5.

It never Overheats. If you do demanding tasks, it can be a bit warmer, but it was always Very far from beeing "hot".

Thanks everyone i ended up getting the air mostly because i found it at the equivalent of 100 dollars discount while the normal ipad was not on sale.