English language sometime surprise me

ReadyPlayerOne

I'm not english and that's not my language, so it happen i need to translate words while reading or writing on forums, i also trying to learning something more listen the pronuciation on google translate.

I didn't remembered whats the name of flour in english so i used google translate and than listen the pronuciation, and what i heard sounds like flower, than i wrote flower and for my foreign ears it sound the same.

At 99% it's just my ears bad, but i whould like to know if there is a chance that the pronunciation is just the same or if it's just a bad google text to speach

English can be one of the most difficult languages as it is such a bastardized variant of its former self. It's changed so much throughout history it's crazy. But I love that about English. If we look at some fun examples:

Shameless copy & paste

1. The bandage was wound around the wound.
  2. The farm was used to produce produce.
  3. The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
  4. We must polish the Polish furniture.
  5. He could lead if he would get the lead out.
  6. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
  7. Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
  8. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
  9. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
  10. I did not object to the object.
  11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
  12. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
  13. They were too close to the door to close it.
  14. The buck does funny things when the does are present.
  15. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
  16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
  17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
  18. After a number of injections my jaw got number.
  19. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
  20. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
  21. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

13 minutes ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

I'm not english and that's not my language, so it happen i need to translate words while reading or writing on forums, i also trying to learning something more listen the pronuciation on google translate.

I didn't remembered whats the name of flour in english so i used google translate and than listen the pronuciation, and what i heard sounds like flower, than i wrote flower and for my foreign ears it sound the same.

At 99% it's just my ears bad, but i whould like to know if there is a chance that the pronunciation is just the same or if it's just a bad google text to speach

Just wait til someone comes and tells ya to go get some durries at the servo, mate.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Just wait til someone comes and tells ya to go get some durries at the servo, mate.

Heck, I've been speaking English for all my life, far longer than most of you have been alive (most likely, more than twice as long) and I didn't understand that. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yup, it's too complicated indeed.  Let's ditch it and use Flemish instead.   

Or British ?

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 hours ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

than i wrote flower and for my foreign ears it sound the same.

Pro tip: capitalise "I" every time you use it. Native English speakers find themselves highly important.

12 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yup, it's too complicated indeed.  Let's ditch it and use Flemish instead.   

I can live with that. 

2 hours ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

Out of curiosity, what's your native? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

52 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Heck, I've been speaking English for all my life, far longer than most of you have been alive (most likely, more than twice as long) and I didn't understand that. 

Bloody hell. Thanks to heaven Americans do not speak like british

7 minutes ago, D.U.F.F. said:

Bloody hell. Thanks to heaven Americans do not speak like british

If it wasn't for the British you'd be still speaking in Spanish. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

34 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Out of curiosity, what's your native? 

I'm italian

22 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

Hey man. English can be tough. It was my first language. But I really commend you for taking the effort to learn. Good for you!

Thank you, it's important to learn english this days, probably mine is bad, but it's enough to understand what people wrote and can be understood (i hope?).

What is really hard is to understand different accent when i travel, because someone speak very clear, and someone else doesn't even seems english, i was once in Dublin, and just a friend of mine was able to talk with Irish, it was impossible for me, that's because my english ability is average, but also because their accent was really different in what i usually listen, in example i don't have too much problem to understant Linus i understand 90% of what he say, probably because a lot of words are tech related, otherwise probably the % will drop between 70-80, but that's just because my english dictionary is limited, otherwise the pronuciation is really good, i was once in canada and i had no problem. What i whould like to know because i'm curious is to read and listen myself writing and speaking english with english ears i think whold be pretty funny to listen and read all my errors.

Unfortunatly learning languages is not my strong point, i think it's one of my weak point, i trying to learn english out of school since 2003 at least, at school was really bad i don't even count it, and i think it's a kind of magical adventure learning not just words and verbs, but also understand how your mind and attitude will change with a different language, that's probably another huge topic, but i suggest everyone here to try to learn another language, if you are english/american/canadian, i can suggest to learn my language, italian, just because you could start to read important writer that can't really be translated, because a lot of words and feelings do not exist in english, and li think italian culture is really huge and there is a lot to discover and to be appreciate for real you must know italian, or the translation will destroy all the magic. Anyway every language you like will help you to be close and think in a different way, and that's really an interesting experience imho

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Eso no es problema para mi

A nice poem about english pronunciation:  The Chaos by Gerard Nolst Trenité

Its full of tricks, really once you can converse I think thats the most fun you can have in a language.

Writing correctly is wonderful and useful too, but not as fun.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

3 hours ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

The word 'flour' actually derives from Old French. It most likely became an English word in the 11th century after the Norman conquest (1066), lots of Old English words were replaced with Old French words around this time. This language was known as Middle English and was spoken up until the 15th century.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

you should learn chinese next :P most pronunciations have 4 meanings and words due to there being 4 tones

2 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The word 'flour' actually derives from Old French. It most likely became an English word in the 11th century after the Norman conquest (1066), lots of Old English words were replaced with Old French words around this time. This language was known as Middle English and was spoken up until the 15th century.

I always think of Chaucer: "And bathed every veyne in swich licóur / of which vertú engendred is the flour..."

5 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Deutsch and Gaelic.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

if it wasn't for the Americans (twice), the Brits would be speaking German.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

14 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The word 'flour' actually derives from Old French.

Not an expert on this, but in Dutch "flour" can be translated as "bloem", which happens to be the word for both "flower" and "flour". 

14 hours ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

I'm italian

Also I'm afraid we have to inspect your wiring loom :P.

Alright, how many of us speak English as their 2nd or third langauge? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

if it wasn't for the Americans (twice), the Brits would be speaking German.

If it wasn't for anybody we would all be speaking Mesopotamian.

1 minute ago, xARACHN1D said:

If it wasn't for anybody we would all be speaking Mesopotamian.

Nope. Not all civilizations started in that region. Nor did Mesopotamia conquer all of even the known world of its time.

Jeannie

13 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Nope. Not all civilizations started in that region. Nor did Mesopotamia conquer all of even the known world of its time.

You right, I was honestly not serious. I do know there were other civilations.