Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alarmingtugboat97

cpu temp very high on idle

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

i have a ryzen 7 2700x with no overclock even memory, when idle it sits around 90c, when i start playing games or going on the internet i believe its getting to hot and shutting down, i have tried different coolers i thought my pump when on my aio but tried that on a different CPU and temp is good pump is working, then tried a arctic cooler and same result. the most i have seen it hit was 110c and thats really hot..Can anyone help?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your CPU Heatsink isnt installed like it should be.


CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using thermal paste, because it really doesn't sound like you are? You should be using a small pea sized amount on your CPU's IHS. Just double check that you're properly mounting your cooler. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

Are you using thermal paste, because it really doesn't sound like you are? You should be using a small pea sized amount on your CPU's IHS. Just double check that you're properly mounting your cooler. 

i am using thermal paste been building pcs for quite sometime now. i have read online that it could be malware that could possibly cause this issue

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
34 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Your CPU Heatsink isn't installed like it should be.

pretty straight forward on how to install a CPU cooler that i have installed many times on different computers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

i am using thermal paste been building pcs for quite sometime now. i have read online that it could be malware that could possibly cause this issue

Does anything stand out as abnormal in task manager under processes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alarmingtugboat97 said:

it just doesn't make sense on what it could be. maybe mobo or CPU causing problems

CPU-->Heat-->Heatsink

Thats basic Physics. The MB has nothing to do with it.


CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Ehmc130 said:

Does anything stand out as abnormal in task manager under processes?

ill have to check didn't really want to turn it on since it did that but ill check and get back to you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Praesi said:

CPU-->Heat-->Heatsink

Thats basic Physics. The MB has nothing to do with it.

motherboard does have VRMS but that shouldn't even be getting hot with no overclock. i have another system that is a i7 3770 with a bclk overclock to 4.3ghz cpu never goes over 46c..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

My motherboard didn't set the fan header to CPU temp so it would idle. Check that.

ill have to double check that. could be could not. never know though.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

ill have to check didn't really want to turn it on since it did that but ill check and get back to you.

 

Also check with Malwarebytes and Windows defender. 

 

And even if you know how it works,  re apply thermal paste and check you really seated everything right.. 

 

I just built my first PC last year - and while it mostly is really easy and stuff,  it's also really easy to make a mistake.

 

There must be something wrong, obviously,  and it'd be interesting to know what that is,  personally I had zero issues with the two Ryzen CPUs I own (2200G and 3600)

 

My suspicion would also be on not correctly seated heat sink or bad paste job,  but ultimately I don't know,  it's curious for sure. 


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also check with Malwarebytes and Windows defender. 

 

And even if you know how it works,  re apply thermal paste and check you really seated everything right.. 

 

I just built my first PC last year - and while it mostly is really easy and stuff,  it's also really easy to make a mistake.

 

There must be something wrong, obviously,  and it'd be interesting to know what that is,  personally I had zero issues with the two Ryzen CPUs I own (2200G and 3600)

 

My suspicion would also be on not correctly seated heat sink or bad paste job,  but ultimately I don't know,  it's curious for sure. 

will post back in a while gotta get it hocked up and going move some stuff around also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Physically check temps of the HSF base and the back of the MB.  Its possible that the CPU has an improperly calibrated or faulty temp sensor.

thank you for the tip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

thank you for the tip.

Some motherboards also had issues with temp readings from the CPU itself, I beleive it was corrected with a BIOS update.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked the temp in BIOS after a cold boot?  Eliminates the queries about software and fans (the HS will take time to warm before the effect of the fan is meaningful).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 11/4/2019 at 2:10 AM, offweek said:

Have you checked the temp in BIOS after a cold boot?  Eliminates the queries about software and fans (the HS will take time to warm before the effect of the fan is meaningful).

temp in bios is high, still haven't had much time to fix the issue yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 hours ago, Mustangmatt215 said:

Did you plug your aio pump in the right header?

yes aio is plugged into pump header, i have also tried it on other mobos and its working very good on other cpus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×