PC VR with mild astigmatism?

Gershy13

I really want to get started in PC VR (steamvr and oculus maybe)

Probably going to end up getting a Rift CV1, as I found a good deal on a used one with the original receipt so I can get the warranty too...

But I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with astigmatism and vr?

I tried vr first on a BoboVR Z4 and Galaxy S6, and to be honest I didn't really feel connected with it... Not sure what it was, maybe because it was cheap and not the real thing. Felt like my eyes was just focusing on the screen and not really going further and getting immersed...

I wear glasses because I am short sighted (not too bad, I can still see without glasses, just slightly blurry) and also have very mild astigmatism apparently...

Does anyone know if this will affect my experience in vr?

Thanks

Gershy13

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x + H150i Elite LCD     

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL16

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC       

SSD 1: Corsair MP600 1tb (Windows)      

SSD 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (Scratch Drive)   

SSD 3: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: NZXT H710

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Mouse: Lamzu Atlantis Pro Mini 4khz

Keyboard: Akko 5075B Plus

If you wear glasses with the HTC vive (or whatever the lastest version is now) assuming that your glasses correct your vision I don't think it would affect your VR at all. I'm not too sure on whether you can use glasses easily with the rift S. I have the rift and I remember it not being easy for glasses wearers to use the rift. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

You can use glasses, contact lenses, or you can buy lenses that slot into the main VR headsets on the market.

Phone-based VR is generally trash, it lacks important features like positional tracking.

I have a Vive and I am nearsighted and I have basically 0 issues playing VR with glasses.

If you have big glasses they might not fit in the headset (like square-y, thickness isn't much of a worry). I personally wear quite slim rectangular ones and they fit just fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

I have a Vive and I am nearsighted and I have basically 0 issues playing VR with glasses.

If you have big glasses they might not fit in the headset (like square-y, thickness isn't much of a worry). I personally wear quite slim rectangular ones and they fit just fine.

Just now, Sakkura said:

You can use glasses, contact lenses, or you can buy lenses that slot into the main VR headsets on the market.

Phone-based VR is generally trash, it lacks important features like positional tracking.

2 minutes ago, werto165 said:

If you wear glasses with the HTC vive (or whatever the lastest version is now) assuming that your glasses correct your vision I don't think it would affect your VR at all. I'm not too sure on whether you can use glasses easily with the rift S. I have the rift and I remember it not being easy for glasses wearers to use the rift. 

Awesome thanks guys... Ill probably give it a try... i can always sell it on ebay or something if it really doesnt work for me... 

i am not very short sighted but I have bad astigmatism. I had no problems using VR on my Samsung S7. I did not need my glasses. I saw no tails coming out of lights or light beams coming out of the screen. None of this:

download.jpeg

Just now, Bacon soup said:

i am not very short sighted but I have bad astigmatism. I had no problems using VR on my Samsung S7. I did not need my glasses. I saw no tails coming out of lights or light beams coming out of the screen. None of this:

download.jpeg

Ah, see now this is making me think I can't get immersed in vr. Maybe it's not my astigmatism. Maybe I just can't get immersed in vr.

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, Gershy13 said:

Ah, see now this is making me think I can't get immersed in vr. Maybe it's not my astigmatism. Maybe I just can't get immersed in vr.

And is there any update on this? I'm bout to buy a VR headset myself and have somewhat high astigmatism of -2,75 and -2,25, as well as slight farsightedness(thought I believe that to be less likely to cause many issues as it's fairly mild.

Do you think this would pose an issue? I wanna play VR and am quite certain I will enjoy it but I don't like the idea of wearing glasses whilst playing. I have not had contacts yet so that'd be a whole new thing as well.. Smth I am willing to try definitely but damn are contacts expensive jeez.