Asus rolls out android 10 update. Asus is taking mobile seriously.

parthm

Pixel 3 here, had 10 running since Beta 1. I will only ever buy a pixel device or a device running Android One. I had a Samsung S8 before this and the amount of bloat was insane, Samsung literally have their own version of almost every built in Android application.

I've also got a Galaxy Tab S3 but that got flashed with Lineage OS day one.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

emagherd! asus is updating a phone! meanwhile my zenphone m1 max plus shipped with android 7, and the 8.something update makes it unusable, no simple way to downgrade, had to resort to force flash some original firmware from somewhere. there is also an official unlock boot rom tool that does not work. so i am stuck with a 300 euro phone (when new) that 6 months later was unusable, and has been frozen in time on android 7, with whatever the last security update for that OS was. asus phone never again. 

Edited by davide30541

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

OP seems 

The J2 Pro (2018) did get update to Oreo

But its a budget (low end) device. You can't expect much development for it.

Anyway the OP seems to have abandoned the thread. I shan't linger.

i live in india so had to sleep and then straight to university. im back though :/

51 minutes ago, Levent said:

there is a very good reason for OEMs pushing out security updates. Google makes it mandatory for OEMs to release security updates for atleast 2 years. So yeah, they are not even trying.

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-updates-mandatory-google-917990/

still the promotions, price drop, hw and sw experience has been much better now.its not just the security updates im talking about.

13 minutes ago, davide30541 said:

emagherd! asus is updating a phone! meanwhile my zenphone m1 max plus shipped with android 7, and the 8.something update makes it unusable, no simple way to downgrade, had to resort to force flash some original firmware from somewhere. there is also an official unlock boot rom tool that does not work. so i am stuck with a 300 euro phone (when new) that 6 months later was unusable, and has been frozen in time on android 7, with whatever the last security update for that OS was. asus phone never again. 

most companies on the android side dont care to update their lowest end phones and im obviously not gonna defend them.the situation might change soon for newer models going forward because of google but i where did you buy that phone from? you literally paid 3x the amount that it costs here in india. 

2 minutes ago, parthm said:

still the promotions, price drop, hw and sw experience has been much better now.its not just the security updates im talking about.

Your point is still invalid. Manufacturers only reduce prices to increase market shares or to increase already low sales (same thing goes for promotions). Do you see Samsung having a "price drop" on their brand new S10s? or Apple reducing their new iPhone prices just after a week? nope. Custom roms are purely due to the chips they use  and you gotta thank CodeAurora Forum for that, not Asus. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Your point is still invalid. Manufacturers only reduce prices to increase market shares or to increase already low sales (same thing goes for promotions). Do you see Samsung having a "price drop" on their brand new S10s? or Apple reducing their new iPhone prices just after a week? nope. Custom roms are purely due to the chips they use  and you gotta thank CodeAurora Forum for that, not Asus. 

since i live in india i can talk about the indian scene.

as i said in the original post asus never took the indian market seriously before but now they've done promotions with youtubers and what not.

2. they literally sent their devices to popular xda developers like arnova for gcam and to lineage team to kickstart custom development along with releasing sources.

3.If asus prices their phones competing with samsung they wouldnt sell.just the fact itself that they are offering phones at cheaper prices means they want them to sell.they arent launching phones with a high price tag. they're actually being competitive.

hence i said they're trying in the mobile space.

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

Because comic sans was/sn't available.

AFAIK it is!!! ?

29 minutes ago, parthm said:

since i live in india i can talk about the indian scene.

as i said in the original post asus never took the indian market seriously before but now they've done promotions with youtubers and what not.

2. they literally sent their devices to popular xda developers like arnova for gcam and to lineage team to kickstart custom development along with releasing sources.

3.If asus prices their phones competing with samsung they wouldnt sell.just the fact itself that they are offering phones at cheaper prices means they want them to sell.they arent launching phones with a high price tag. they're actually being competitive.

hence i said they're trying in the mobile space.

Yeah in that sense yes, it seems that they are making a push for increasing their market shares. Anyways its always a great thing when a company is being competitive. Just not in the sense of updating their software.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, parthm said:

you might not like the idea of the flip camera but honestly after using it ive got no problem with it at least my unit works perfectly. ive already dropped it and it still works fine.i think the benefit of using the back camera as a front camera is good enough to warrant the use of the flip mechanism

It's not even so much the fact it flips, as the fact it's a dirt magnet (every reviewer has stated this as well).

The IPS screen is also a total killer for me. AMOLED only.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

48 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not even so much the fact it flips, as the fact it's a dirt magnet (every reviewer has stated this as well).

The IPS screen is also a total killer for me. AMOLED only.

ok ive never bothered to check for dust and to my surprise there wasnt much at all. so i dont know about the dirt part but yes amoled can be a deal breaker. its like iphone 8 plus like screen in terms of lcd quality

5 hours ago, Kaloob said:

3 updates?! Samsung's pretty bad with updates, but even then I get about one a month! 

I don't count security updates. I mean things like camera/bugs/version etc. Pretty sure security updates hit once a month.

This is all nice and well. But, I'll believe it when I see some concrete actions in mid-term.

Why?

Because they literally f up with the original Asus Rog Phone so I don't think they deserve a benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves. 

On 11/4/2019 at 1:01 PM, parthm said:

most companies on the android side dont care to update their lowest end phones and im obviously not gonna defend them.the situation might change soon for newer models going forward because of google but i where did you buy that phone from? you literally paid 3x the amount that it costs here in india. 

the phone ( https://m.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_max_plus_(m1)_zb570tl-ampp-8953.php ) was bought on one of the common place electronics stores in portugal, in may 2018. it was the normal price for it. and specs wise it was nice compared to the crappy samsungs beside it. but i guess the crappy samsungs got updated nicely... 

• 4 months later...

I would like to remind everyone that are using the RoG phone 2 that the phone now can be updated to android 10

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Im in the minority but at this point im happier when my phone doesnt get the newest android.

Its offers nothing worth having and usually causes random bugs with the apps i use.

Android can f off with the constant useless updates. Its nothing more then a marketing scheme to get people to update perfectly good phones or buy a pos pixel phone.

3 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Im in the minority but at this point im happier when my phone doesnt get the newest android.

Its offers nothing worth having and usually causes random bugs with the apps i use.

Android can f off with the constant useless updates. Its nothing more then a marketing scheme to get people to update perfectly good phones or buy a pos pixel phone.

what about security? i have a random asus tablet that is stuck in android 4.something. works as well as it ever did. but what about security? 

19 minutes ago, davide30541 said:

what about security? i have a random asus tablet that is stuck in android 4.something. works as well as it ever did. but what about security? 

Security updates are not tied to the latest android version. 

You can be two versions of android behind but be up to date on security patches.