Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
parthm

Asus rolls out android 10 update. Asus is taking mobile seriously.

Posted · Original PosterOP

source:

https://www.xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-6-android-10-update/

let me start by saying im currently using the asus 6z/zenfone 6 and im a happy user.

asus has been doing some great work in the mobile sector recently with the asus zenfone 6, rog phone 2.

the hardware is simply amazing.

software side

theres an android beta program running for a while now and asus has finally started rolling out the official ota.

they not only released the sources but also provided phones to popular devs like arnova for gcam support.

theres custom roms available and they're timely with their updates. my android security never went more than 2 months old.

the phone has been good with the camera(good enough),hw,software and let me just say this about the battery

the phone gives 2 day battery life

12 hrs sot

2 days single 4g volte sim standby

sales

i dont have any official figures but when the rog phone went on sale it went out of stock in both india and china. 

do you think asus can pull this off successfully under such a competitive market if they continue like this?

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-04 at 2.40.02 AM.jpeg

Why would anyone use a serif font on a phone?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Why would anyone use a serif font on a phone?

Because comic sans was/sn't available.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

It’s easy to verify support for a new Android version when you only have to maintain 2 devices. 

These other ODMs are dealing with dozens of different models at any given time. That’s not an excuse for them, they were foolish for choosing that business model....but that’s the reality of Android. It’s simply too fragmented to get consistent updates. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s easy to verify support for a new Android version when you only have to maintain 2 devices. 

These other ODMs are dealing with dozens of different models at any given time. That’s not an excuse for them, they were foolish for choosing that business model....but that’s the reality of Android. It’s simply too fragmented to get consistent updates. 

Solution: use a lightly modified version of Android on all devices. For example, Samsung could keep all of the features that are added in One UI from stock Android, but keep everything else stock. 

It's mostly a lack of effort.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

Group Regulated PSUs are bad!

It's a Volvo C30 attack!

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@4.0 GHz (1.35V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|Scythe Fuma 2|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|500GB Segate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Fractal Design Meshify C dark TG (4 intake 1 exhaust)|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Altec Lansing ACS5/ATH-M40X

Folding at Home rigs

Dell XPS 420 (the better one and my favorite PC):

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers 

Dell XPS 420 (the worse one):

The same but with an old ATi card, 3GB of RAM, a "Core 2 Viiv" (it's a Core 2 Quad Q6600), Windows 10 Pro and 7 Enterprise (along with a Vista Ultamate recovery that won't work) and other hard drives. I also use a diffrent monitor for it and no speakers. The keyboard and mouse are shared with the better one.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Unlocked 256GB+200GB MicroSD Card Aura Glow (slap a skin on it, even with a case!)

Laptop(s):

Acer Spin 15 64GB Chromebook:

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Chicony 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display

A bunch of Dell Vostro 1000s

An old Powerbook G3

And an old 17" Macbook Pro Mid-2007

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

Solution: use a lightly modified version of Android on all devices. For example, Samsung could keep all of the features that are added in One UI from stock Android, but keep everything else stock. 

It's mostly a lack of effort.

OR be part of Android One.

y'all need to poop more often.

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

OR be part of Android One.

Also a great idea. I personally like the extra features that OneUI brings to the table, that's why I'd prefer the method I mentioned.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

It's a Volvo C30 attack!

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@4.0 GHz (1.35V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|Scythe Fuma 2|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|500GB Segate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Fractal Design Meshify C dark TG (4 intake 1 exhaust)|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Altec Lansing ACS5/ATH-M40X

Folding at Home rigs

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers 

The same but with an old ATi card, 3GB of RAM, a "Core 2 Viiv" (it's a Core 2 Quad Q6600), Windows 10 Pro and 7 Enterprise (along with a Vista Ultamate recovery that won't work) and other hard drives. I also use a diffrent monitor for it and no speakers. The keyboard and mouse are shared with the better one.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Unlocked 256GB+200GB MicroSD Card Aura Glow (slap a skin on it, even with a case!)

Laptop(s):

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Chicony 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display

An old Powerbook G3

And yet my phone (released March last year) only has Android 7.1.1, and isn't going to be getting anything newer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And yet my phone (released March last year) only has Android 7.1.1, and isn't going to be getting anything newer.

What is it? If it was released last year, shouldn't it have at least Android 8? Install a custom ROM?

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Because comic sans was/sn't available.

That's hard to believe my cousin who have a Zenfone 6 is on a sans font.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

49 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What is it? If it was released last year, shouldn't it have at least Android 8? Install a custom ROM?

Depending on the device, installing a ROM may not be a walk in the part, and if it isn't a popular device among enthusiasts, one may see very little or no help in this regard. Was as difficult as pulling teeth with my phone anyway. 

Unless you like tinkering and have the wherewithal to troubleshoow issues that may come up, I'd consider custom ROMs an unsuitable substitute.

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

That's hard to believe my cousin who have a Zenfone 6 is on a sans font.

I had trouble working out whether the comment regarding the font being a serif was positive, negative or indifferent. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Asus has been hit and miss for me. I really liked my last Asus phone, but the build quality was seriously lacking. They simply used too soft of an aluminium and it resulted in a very easily damaged device. It also had eMCC, which failed, and that displeased me greatly. I'd consider getting a flagship phone of theirs to try, however I don't like the flip camera idea...and the ROG Phone is simply much too large.

Their software was killer though. They were constantly doing updates, more than any other cell phone manufacturer I've had. And by updates, I don't just mean Android versions; they're constantly adding new features, and they have an app where you can recommend tweaks or additions, which they actively work on.

I have high hopes for the ZenFone 7. Throw a regular camera set up and an AMOLED screen onto the current body and I'd be sold.

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

They have way more than two devices...

The models aren't the issue, it's the way you have to go about updating Android, which they've started actively fixing. In a couple of years the phones coming out will have a much easier time updating Android.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have an Asus phone too and I don't have any updates. Where is my Android 10 update?!

My phone came with Android 5. They also provided Android 6 for my phone, but checking for updates never shows it. The only way to get it, was to download and install manually. It felt like they never wanted to support that phone with the update, but to make everyone stop nagging, they did it anyway.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'm happy with my razer phone 2. Its no one m7...would trade anything for that phone with a newer version of android again....but its okay. I've gotten 3 updates since purchase, including one version upgrade.

Problem folding? TOO BAD THE BLUE BOX IS GONE

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

That's what I thought but no. Because its a J2 Pro (not from the A series) its getting fuck all support aside from security updates (those stopped after I unlocked the boot loader & installed TWRP recovery). And the ROMs I've found are for the overseas models, which are different enough to risk bricking my phone.

Note that my Asus TF201 and TF700 from 2011-2013 have custom ROM of Android 7.1.1, and it runs extremely well compared to the stock ROM, so performance is no excuse.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

These other ODMs are dealing with dozens of different models at any given time. That’s not an excuse for them, they were foolish for choosing that business model

At the very least, I would think a manufacturer should focus on making sure their $1,000 USD flagship devices get swift software updates for more than a year. The Galaxy Note 8 not getting Android 10 and the Note 9 not getting it until next year is incredibly pathetic and does not give me even the slightest amount of confidence in Samsung devices, regardless of how many devices they produce and provide software support for.

It's one of those things, if I know somebody is going to hold onto their phone for 3+ years, which is getting to be a lot more people than years past, there's not an Android phone I would ever comfortably recommend.

hating popular things as a personality trait is infinitely more cringe than liking things unapologetically

Considering that last year's ROG Phone still runs Android 8, I would just wait and see. I've had a ton of software issues with my Asus tablet, that's why I always stay away from this brand.

44 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Considering that last year's ROG Phone still runs Android 8, I would just wait and see. I've had a ton of software issues with my Asus tablet, that's why I always stay away from this brand.

Android Pie for ROG phone 1 is still coming, according to some forum threads I've read on the asus site, it has been noted to be delayed without announcement since it was supposed to launch on the end of October:

Source: https://www.asus.com/zentalk/tw/thread-388533-1-1.html

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Android Pie for ROG phone 1 is still coming, according to some forum threads I've read on the asus site, it has been noted to be delayed without announcement since it was supposed to launch on the end of October:

Source: https://www.asus.com/zentalk/tw/thread-388533-1-1.html

Still, it will probably never get Android 10, which is a shame for a device released just a year ago.

Now, if only someone made a good, mid-range tablet with stock Android... *sighs and wishful thinking*

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Now, if only someone made a good, mid-range tablet with stock Android... *sighs and wishful thinking*

Microsoft next year might fulfill that. you like dualscreen devices that is. 

4 hours ago, Rune said:

I'm happy with my razer phone 2. Its no one m7...would trade anything for that phone with a newer version of android again....but its okay. I've gotten 3 updates since purchase, including one version upgrade.

3 updates?! Samsung's pretty bad with updates, but even then I get about one a month! 

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

It's a Volvo C30 attack!

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Folding at Home rigs

Laptop(s):

Dell Latitude D630:

An old Powerbook G3

OP seems 

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

That's what I thought but no. Because its a J2 Pro (not from the A series) its getting fuck all support aside from security updates (those stopped after I unlocked the boot loader & installed TWRP recovery).

The J2 Pro (2018) did get update to Oreo

But its a budget (low end) device. You can't expect much development for it.

Anyway the OP seems to have abandoned the thread. I shan't linger.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.