HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

That looks extremely sexy, the black norprene with copper fittings does match the rest of the system's color scheme really well so it's definitely a good substitute, for the moment at least. Actually you could argue copper might overdo it a bit so that powder coating idea might be the better choice.

Really looking forward to see the build assembled :).

That looks extremely sexy, the black norprene with copper fittings does match the rest of the system's color scheme really well so it's definitely a good substitute, for the moment at least. Actually you could argue copper might overdo it a bit so that powder coating idea might be the better choice.

Hehe, yeah, I'm quite happy with it, and I think you might be right about the

copper tubing (although I'd have used black fittings with the copper tubing).

But yeah, powdercoated copper tubing might be quite an idea indeed. :)

Really looking forward to see the build assembled :).

Thanks, as am I! :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

After not having been on the forum for quite a while and coming back to pictures of this! :o

This is just amazing as always Alpenwasser!  :wub:

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

After not having been on the forum for quite a while and coming back to pictures of this! :o

This is just amazing as always Alpenwasser!  :wub:

Hehe, thanks, I thought it was time for a revival. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

@alpenwasser

i completely forgot i subbed to this thread, glad i was.

you just dont see enough copper in builds these days.

Also, needs more ram :D, looking a little empty on that board

Looking for a job

What, if anything do you have to do to keep moisture from condensing on the coolant pipes?  I would have figured that going with a metal hard line would make it a disaster if you lived in a place with any sort of humidity.

But I'm just a rabbit so I could be entirely wrong about this.

i would never build such a coppery build myself but i can appreciate the looks of it. really like the build and i like the theme going through. also caselabs  :wub:

Wow man, that looks great! Keep on keeping on!

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

@alpenwasser

i completely forgot i subbed to this thread, glad i was.

you just dont see enough copper in builds these days.

Also, needs more ram :D, looking a little empty on that board

He, I reckon you're not the only one who's had a bit of a throwback to 2013. :D

I've actually thought about adding more RAM, but the SR-2 is rather finicky when it

comes to RAM. As an example, I had this experience with the sticks I have:

Since I bought my RAM when LGA2011 has been out for a while, quad channel kits were

much easier to find than triple channel. Easy enough, I bought two quad channel kits

of 16 GB, mounted three sticks and kept the other two for use in another machine.

After a while, the SR-2 didn't detect one of the RAM sticks anymore. "No biggie, I

still have 20 GB, I'll replace it when I get to it."

Then this spring, another RAM stick dropped out. So I decided to take the two RAM

sticks from the other machine and put them into the SR-2, then buy new RAM for the

other machine.

Only, I didn't need to buy new RAM for the other machine because the two RAM sticks

which don't get detected by the SR-2 (I tried it out in different slots several times,

they are flat-out not recognized, period) actually work fine in the other machine.

I'm just glad that the six sticks I have work for the time being and hope that none

of them drop out. Would be a bitch with the water blocks mounted on them. :D

If I ever do upgrade the RAM, I'll probably go for ECC. But then I'll also need to buy

RAM coolers as those don't come with those. So yeah...

What, if anything do you have to do to keep moisture from condensing on the coolant pipes?  I would have figured that going with a metal hard line would make it a disaster if you lived in a place with any sort of humidity.

But I'm just a rabbit so I could be entirely wrong about this.

Condensation is only an issue if the coolant is below ambient temperature, and then

it doesn't matter whether you're using copper pipes or plastic or rubber. Unless you

install a chiller, you won't have that in a water loop, so it's all good.

Experiment: Fill a glass with cold water, set it on a table, watch condensation form.

Fill it with room-temperature (or slightly warmer) water -> no condensattion. 

i would never build such a coppery build myself but i can appreciate the looks of it. really like the build and i like the theme going through. also caselabs  :wub:

Hehe, we can't all have the same tastes, that's okay. Your appreciation is appreciated!

and yes, I love the case. :wub:

Wow man, that looks great! Keep on keeping on!

Thanks, will do! :D

Assembled!

Finally managed to put it together. :)

Hit a bit of a snag with my plan for the power delivery. I have a plug at the back

of the case to which I've soldered a cable which then goes to the PSU via a 90-degree

angled plug. Unfortunately the plug I'd bought turned out to be a bit too big and I

could no longer mount the radiator. I could have raised the PSU, but don't have the

correct standoffs at hand, so instead I got very lucky and found a molded 90-degree

angled connector which is more compact. It goes to the other side, but the cable can

be bent around in a generous loop and it sill works. Disaster averted.

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2015-09-06--01--plug-too-big

aw--helios--2015-09-06--02--plugs.jpeg

aw--helios--2015-09-06--03--plug-fits.jp

The drain is the usual principle: T-connector, ball valve. However, in order to be

able to hide it away inside the case, the lever on the valve actually needs to be

in the open position, hence the additional stop fitting on the valve.

Draining the system works pretty well, I get most of the fluid out (it uses about

1.5 litres it seems.

)

aw--helios--2015-09-06--04--drain-out.jp

aw--helios--2015-09-06--05--drain-in.jpe

The process for closing it all up is a bit cumbersome, but such is life. I have to

unmount the other PSU cover in order to be able to get the plug's side's cover in,

then remount them both. I've mounted some additional thumb screws to the covers to

that I can hold on to them while bolting them to the case. Works pretty well.

aw--helios--2015-09-06--06--drain-closin

aw--helios--2015-09-06--07--drain-sealed

The passthrough from the pump to the back side and the bottom radiators. The thing

with a wire is an inline temperature sensor.

aw--helios--2015-09-06--08--bottom-passt

From the bottom radiators we go up to the top radiator via a passthrough fitting.

I had to enlargen the hole in the case by about 20 mm in one direction so that it

all fits, otherwise the fitting on the radiator's side collides with the rad.

aw--helios--2015-09-06--09--top-passthro

aw--helios--2015-09-06--10--top-passthro

To give you an impression of the trouble I go through for some of the pics, this

is the lighting setup for the picture above. :D

aw--helios--2015-09-06--11--photo-setup.

Tethering the Canon 600D (Rebel T3 or something like that for those who have those

model numbers) to my laptop (Linux) via Darktable works very nicely, pretty comfy to

work with. :)

aw--helios--2015-09-06--12--darktable.jp

aw--helios--2015-09-06--13--top-rad-port

aw--helios--2015-09-06--14--top-fans.jpe

The reservoir has an inline tube to bring the feed below the coolant's surface level.

aw--helios--2015-09-06--15--reservoir-to

aw--helios--2015-09-06--16--res-feed.jpe

aw--helios--2015-09-06--17--pump-feed.jp

I'm not yet happy with how this looks, will be redoing the loop at least in this

area. But I need to ponder a bit first on how to go about this, and now that it's

up and running and the semester is about to start again I'm not in too big of a

hurry.

aw--helios--2015-09-06--18--pumps.jpeg

aw--helios--2015-09-06--19--gpu-cables.j

aw--helios--2015-09-06--20--gpu-cables-c

The black painted brackets for the GPUs. 780 is the top one, Titan on the bottom.

aw--helios--2015-09-06--21--gpu-brackets

The fan controller, still with the copper plate from way back when, although it

has a bit of oxidation by now. I tried clearcoating it to protect it from oxidation,

but it didn't look right no matter what I tried so eventually I took the coat off

again and just accepted the copper as it is. :)

aw--helios--2015-09-06--22--fan-controll

aw--helios--2015-09-06--23--fan-controll

The cabling behind the fan controller. Not too tidy I will admit. :D

aw--helios--2015-09-06--24--fan-controll

The bottom fans are connected to a single channel on the fan controller. One of

the fans has had its tach wire soldered to one of the six pin connector's pins

so that I can get an rpm reading.

aw--helios--2015-09-06--25--bottom-fan-p

Bottom fans with a studio light on the other side of the case:

aw--helios--2015-09-06--26--bottom-fans.

Some overview shots:

aw--helios--2015-09-06--27--overview-fro

aw--helios--2015-09-06--28--overview-fro

aw--helios--2015-09-06--29--overview-bac

aw--helios--2015-09-06--30--top-view.jpe

And with the rest of the computers in our household (except the server, which I

couldn't take down for the pic).

aw--helios--2015-09-06--31--family.jpeg

I'll be doing some temp measurements in the next few days and will give an update

on that when I have the data.

So long,

-aw

I've been wondering this whole time if you use the E22 fittings with the double O Rings or Shark bite which physically bite into the material? If I had the balls I'd try annealing some brass and doing something like this myself but it seems like the risk for leakage is higher than even acrylic tubing. Either way, I think the contrast looks great.

what did you use the computer for? since you have a 780 and titan in it :) some sort of cuda accelerated task i can guess

Not really my cup of tea design wise, but I can definitely appreciate the amount of hard work that went into this. Good job! :)

I've been wondering this whole time if you use the E22 fittings with the double O Rings or Shark bite which physically bite into the material?

Neither. Boucht 16mm/12mm copper tubing, the plan was to cut G1/4" threads into it,

then screw the fittings directly to the tubing. That allows to avoid the bulk of the

usual hardline fittings (except maybe one of the Monsoon ones I think) and makes for

a pretty sleek look (IMHO at least) since the tubing and the fittings are very close

in their diameters.

Here's a shot from a test I did. It works very well, just need to make sure you have

a clean cut so that the fitting's O ring can seal properly.

aw--helios--2015-09-07--01--copper-tube-

aw--helios--2015-09-07--02--copper-tube-

If I had the balls I'd try annealing some brass and doing something like this myself but it seems like the risk for leakage is higher than even acrylic tubing. Either way, I think the contrast looks great.

Yeah, thought about that too, but I'm not experienced enough to entrust my hardware

to that, so I'd have needed somebody else to do it (nevermind making it look good

on top of that), and where's the fun in that. :D

And thanks!

what did you use the computer for? since you have a 780 and titan in it :) some sort of cuda accelerated task i can guess

He's reaping in them BOINC points ;) His system also doubles as a heater :D

Pretty much ^this. No need for SLI in BOINC, so you don't need identical GPUs. 

Not really my cup of tea design wise, but I can definitely appreciate the amount of hard work that went into this. Good job! :)

No problem, tastes differ after all. And yeah, I've sunk more than 300 hours into the

build at this point, so thanks! :)

Neither. Boucht 16mm/12mm copper tubing, the plan was to cut G1/4" threads into it,

then screw the fittings directly to the tubing. That allows to avoid the bulk of the

usual hardline fittings (except maybe one of the Monsoon ones I think) and makes for

a pretty sleek look (IMHO at least) since the tubing and the fittings are very close

in their diameters.

Yeah, thought about that too, but I'm not experienced enough to entrust my hardware

to that, so I'd have needed somebody else to do it (nevermind making it look good

on top of that), and where's the fun in that. :D

And thanks!

I guess that makes the most sense since that's what's done in actual plumbing. I've also seen people do it in chrome tipped copper (I think it's copper, it might even be in Stainless Steel.) They sell that stuff at Home Depot. It looks rather nice as well. This thread has inspired me to look at other options.

I feel you on that one! I don't want to risk ruining my hardware as well but I do have a few spare boards lying around and I'm going to be renting a garage for a few days so I can do some work, I think I will try do a simple CPU loop in brass just to see how it works. What I've heard is filling the tube with ice or some low melting point metal will allow for a good bend with no cracks, fractures, or creases. I'd be making history like you @alpenwasser  :P

I love it man, I shouldn't be becuase you're a talented guy, but I'm really very much impressed with your update on HELIOS. I have not been keeping track much around here but it's great to see so many of our highly skilled moders continuing to display their work. Keep it up! A+.

p.s. Hope you've been well friend.

I guess that makes the most sense since that's what's done in actual plumbing. I've also seen people do it in chrome tipped copper (I think it's copper, it might even be in Stainless Steel.) They sell that stuff at Home Depot. It looks rather nice as well. This thread has inspired me to look at other options.

I feel you on that one! I don't want to risk ruining my hardware as well but I do have a few spare boards lying around and I'm going to be renting a garage for a few days so I can do some work, I think I will try do a simple CPU loop in brass just to see how it works. What I've heard is filling the tube with ice or some low melting point metal will allow for a good bend with no cracks, fractures, or creases. I'd be making history like you @alpenwasser  :P

Yeah, stainless steel would also work. Advantage of copper is that it's pretty soft,

so it's easier cutting threads into it.

Looking forward to your results then! :D

I love it man, I shouldn't be becuase you're a talented guy, but I'm really very much impressed with your update on HELIOS. I have not been keeping track much around here but it's great to see so many of our highly skilled moders continuing to display their work. Keep it up! A+.

p.s. Hope you've been well friend.

Hey man, nice seeing you around here, and thanks for the compliments! Can't complain

too much, not yet at 100% health-wise, but good enough to not be bothered much. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it wrong that I'm hard

And envious 

Is an envy-boner a thing?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I think this build will look a lot better if it's using blck cables. So the copper will shine

eh I'd think if the cable color just matched the copper better it would be perfect. It's such a great build that I didn't wanna nitpick that though 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

eh I'd think if the cable color just matched the copper better it would be perfect. It's such a great build that I didn't wanna nitpick that though

Yea.. This build looks amazing. I agree with u. The copper looks fantastic but the cables are too attractive.

Is it wrong that I'm hard

And envious 

Is an envy-boner a thing?

He, it might be now. :D

Thanks!

I think this build will look a lot better if it's using blck cables. So the copper will shine

Honestly, in hindsight, I agree. But the cables are such a ridiculous amount of work

I really don't feel like redoing them. But yeah, I think I have too many tan-colored

wires in there too. I'm not sure if I'd go all-black, but certainly "mostly black".

Ah well, such is life.

He, it might be now. :D

Thanks!

Honestly, in hindsight, I agree. But the cables are such a ridiculous amount of work

I really don't feel like redoing them. But yeah, I think I have too many tan-colored

wires in there too. I'm not sure if I'd go all-black, but certainly "mostly black".

Ah well, such is life.

uummm.. im so sorry sir. i didnt mean that your works is bad. it's fantastic and i like it a lot, that's why i keep seeing your post hehehe.... 

but i was wondering if the cable is black, maybe it will look even better. just my opinion

aw--helios--2015-09-06--27--overview-fro

Daaaaaaammmmmnnn Alpenwaasser, the copper looks hella good bro. You did a fantastic job on this build :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "