HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

This is my first time viewing this build log, and I must say I love the level of detail you've put into absolutely everything. :D

If I fly to Switzerland, will you teach me your ways? :P

Btw I was born on November 10th as well :)

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Contrast rules the day. That looks nice, the overall picture is what you see, not just the individual parts.

Yup, keeping the big picture in mind is rather important I think.

Update coming slowly. precision has it's cost in time!

Very much so.

This is my first time viewing this build log, and I must say I love the level of detail you've put into absolutely everything. :D

If I fly to Switzerland, will you teach me your ways? :P

Thanks mate, I appreciate the kind words. Although it shouldn't really be necessary

for you to fly here for me to teach you the stuff you'd need to know to do this yourself.

When I'm done with this it should have pretty much all the info you need. :)

Btw I was born on November 10th as well :)

Well what can I say, it's a good date to have a birthday on! :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Fan Disassembly

I actually wanted to make a video of this, but I didn't have the time to do it properly,

and I'd rather do it not at all than sub-par. It would have been easier to follow along

if somebody else wanted to take their fan apart, but for the time being still pics will

have to do.

Side note: This post is more geared towards those who've never taken a fan apart.

For most other people it will probably be rather boring and trivial.

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2013-09-19--01--bfspro.jpeg

First, take the inner frame out of the outer one. I have found it is easiest to do this

by pressing on the inner frame between the two lugs in each corner instead of the

lugs directly.

aw--helios--2013-09-19--02--bfspro-frame

Next, take off the sticker on the back. I use some petroleum ether to get rid of the

sticky residue (very annoying stuff).

aw--helios--2013-09-19--03--bfspro-stick

Then take out the gasket which covers the bearing's back side. It's not extremely

delicate, but if you're not careful you can damage it nonetheless. Also, you can see

my most important tool for this process: A dental tool. :D

aw--helios--2013-09-19--04--bfspro-gaske

And here comes the part which is actually tricky. The rotor is held in place by a small

washer which sits in a groove on the rotor's axis. The washer has a slit in it.

I found the easiest way to get this washer out of that groove to be this:

• Take two of those dental tools from above.
  • Press down on the washer with one of them and make sure it doesn't rotate

anymore (remember: this is a bearing made for rotation, so it moves rather

easily and is well lubricated, i.e. slippery).

• Press the tip of the second dental tool into the slit of the washer and twist

one of the ends of the washer upwards (this usually takes me several tries since

I often slip). The washer is very flexible, so don't worry too much about breaking

it. Be careful, but not afraid.

• Once the washer is nicely twisted and one of its ends pointing out of the

bearing, get the second dental tool under the washer and pop it out.

• That's it, you can now slide the rotor out on the other side. :)
The washer is the white thing inside the red circle.

aw--helios--2013-09-19--05--bfspro-washe

The red arrow is pointing towards the washer's slit into which you need to get the

tool.

aw--helios--2013-09-19--06--bfspro-washe

And here we have the bearing with the rotor removed. The red ring is actually an O-ring

resting on top of another washer. Both of these are actually loose and are only held in

place because the lubricant makes them a bit sticky (you will have noticed this when

taking out the washer in the above step). There is also one of these O-rings on the

rotor axis itself. You can take them out if you want, but I left them in.

aw--helios--2013-09-19--07--bfspro-rotor

The disassembled rotor and inner frame:

aw--helios--2013-09-19--08--bfspro-disas

aw--helios--2013-09-19--09--bfspro-disas

And my disassembled army of fans (you know, the other one :D ):

aw--helios--2013-09-19--10--army-of-fans

I don't think you necessarily need dental tools to do this, but I had them anyway,

tried them out and found them to work very well for this. If you want to buy some,

you can get them on eBay for a few bucks per set.

I'm currently painting the fans and should have an update on that some time over

the weekend.

That's it for today. Thanks for stopping by,

-aw

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Fan Disassembly

I actually wanted to make a video of this, but I didn't have the time to do it properly,

and I'd rather do it not at all than sub-par. It would have been easier to follow along

if somebody else wanted to take their fan apart, but for the time being still pics will

have to do.

Side note: This post is more geared towards those who've never taken a fan apart.

First, take the inner frame out of the outer one. I have found it is easiest to do this

by pressing on the inner frame between the two lugs in each corner instead of the

lugs directly.

Next, take off the sticker on the back. I use some petroleum ether to get rid of the

sticky residue (very annoying stuff).

Then take out the gasket which covers the bearing's back side. It's not extremely

delicate, but if you're not careful you can damage it nonetheless. Also, you can see

my most important tool for this process: A dental tool. :D

And here comes the part which is actually tricky. The rotor is held in place by a small

washer which sits in a groove on the rotor's axis. The washer has a slit in it.

I found the easiest way to get this washer out of that groove to be this:

• Take two of those dental tools from above.
  • Press down on the washer with one of them and make sure it doesn't rotate

anymore (remember: this is a bearing made for rotation, so it moves rather

easily and is well lubricated, i.e. slippery).

• Press the tip of the second dental tool into the slit of the washer and twist

one of the ends of the washer upwards (this usually takes me several tries since

I often slip). The washer is very flexible, so don't worry too much about breaking

it. Be careful, but not afraid.

• Once the washer is nicely twisted and one of its ends pointing out of the

bearing, get the second dental tool under the washer and pop it out.

• That's it, you can now slide the rotor out on the other side. :)
The washer is the white thing inside the red circle.

The red arrow is pointing towards the washer's slit into which you need to get the

tool.

And here we have the bearing with the rotor removed. The red ring is actually an O-ring

resting on top of another washer. Both of these are actually loose and are only held in

place because the lubricant makes them a bit sticky (you will have noticed this when

taking out the washer in the above step). There is also one of these O-rings on the

rotor axis itself. You can take them out if you want, but I left them in.

The disassembled rotor and inner frame:

And my disassembled army of fans (you know, the other one :D ):

I don't think you necessarily need dental tools to do this, but I had them anyway,

tried them out and found them to work very well for this. If you want to buy some,

you can get them on eBay for a few bucks per set.

I'm currently painting the fans and should have an update on that some time over

the weekend.

That's it for today. Thanks for stopping by,

-aw

Those fans. Anf I realize now my tool array needs a dental scraper :P

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Thanks fellas! :)

I have made you a bacon taco to celebrate this amazing rig.

BaconWeaveTaco311.jpg

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Those fans. Anf I realize now my tool array needs a dental scraper :P

Hehe, thanks! :)

Small request: Could you edit your post so that not all my images are quoted? Otherwise

I get double the bandwidth usage. That would be super nice! Side note: putting them

into spoilers still loads them twice, only editing them out of the post really removes

them. Thank you!

Also: Yes, those dental tools are really handy in many situations (I originally

bought a set because I have a wire retainer in my lower jaw which always has plaque

buildups around it which aren't really removable with anything else. Eventually I realized

that I could use the spare tools from the set for other things...).

EDIT:

I have made you a bacon taco to celebrate this amazing rig.

[...munchies...]

I'll take that! :)

gotta love big cases! buying the fans alone requires a second mortgage. I would imagine that's not even all of them. I'll be close to 20 on mine, give or take. Nice instructions, there are some you tubes if people want to see more. A bit of advice I learned the hard way! If you plan to paint your fans make sure that they can be disassembled. Some don't and you will be in for a masking nightmare.

Yeah, fans are a bit like fittings in that regard: Usually not too expensive on

their own, but once you actually buy as many as you need they can become a rather

substantial expenditure.

I only have one more fan though (the 140 mm prototype from earlier). Since I'm not

running any of the radiators in push/pull it's just fans for three quad rads. I would

have liked to have positive air pressure inside the main compartment, but every

version I've come up with of accomplishing that has some aspects I dislike too much

to actually implement it.

I got very lucky when it comes to disassembling the fans since I didn't originally

check if they could be completely disassembled. Although it would have made my life

a lot easier if the stator PCB could be dismounted from the inner frame. It was a

bloody bitch to mask that (about three hours total). But yeah, some fans can't be

taken apart at all (I think Noctuas belong to that group? Not sure).

Then again, I've had the brilliant idea that I would paint the inner frame both on

its front and back side. You know, because the back side will not be visible ever

again once it's mounted, but I'll know that it's painted, which is what matters. :lol:

Love the fans.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

First, take the inner frame out of the outer one.

I know how to take fans apart, but that's the first time I've seen a fan with an "inner" and an "outer" frame.

1. Although it would have made my life a lot easier if the stator PCB could be dismounted from the inner frame.
  2. But yeah, some fans can't be taken apart at all (I think Noctuas belong to that group? Not sure).
  3.  but I'll know that it's painted, which is what matters.
  1. In practically every fan, the stator is glued to the frame ;)
  2. If you're thinking in terms of inner and outer frame, I don't think you'll see many fans that you can take apart like this. Other than that, Noctuas can be taken apart (fan blade can be separated from the body)
  3. Words of a perfectionist. I like it :)

Love the fans.

Thanks!

I know how to take fans apart, but that's the first time I've seen a fan with an "inner" and an "outer" frame.

Yeah, I don't know of any other than the Spectre Pros which are built like this,

at least not so that you can disassemble them.

• In practically every fan, the stator is glued to the frame ;)
  • If you're thinking in terms of inner and outer frame, I don't think you'll see many fans that you can take apart like this. Other than that, Noctuas can be taken apart (fan blade can be separated from the body)
  • Words of a perfectionist. I like it :)
  • Yeah, I got that impression. I tried to force it on one fan to see

if maybe it's just pressed on, but there was absolutely no give in that

connection.

• Nah, I primarily meant that you can take the rotor out of the fan, not

necessarily a dual frame construction. Good to know about the Noctuas.

• Hehe. :D
Now, if you excuse me, there is a clear coat waiting to be applied.

Yeah, I got that impression. I tried to force it on one fan to see

if maybe it's just pressed on, but there was absolutely no give in that

connection.

You could try to use a heat gun to loosen up the glue, but you might end up damaging the motor controller on the PCB that way.

Also, on a totally unrelated note: is there a specific reason why you put linebreaks in your text?

Great log! I love the work shop. Fan looks amazing :)

Thank you! The work shop has been great, and I'm currently waiting for the paint

to dry on the fans.

You could try to use a heat gun to loosen up the glue, but you might end up damaging the motor controller on the PCB that way.

Yeah, I suppose a way could be found with enough time. But by now I've masked it off

anyway, so it's no longer a real issue. ;)

Also, on a totally unrelated note: is there a specific reason why you put linebreaks in your text?

A habit from programming. I tend to stick to the 80 chars per line rule when I code,

and I just sort of adapted similar behavior when writing forum posts (yes, I know

I'm most likely not hitting 80 chars here ;)). Aside from pure habit, I prefer reading

shorter lines of text (less strain on the eyes as I've read when researching typography).

Also, I just think it looks better (yes, seriously, the physical arrangement of text

in an internet forum post is something I pay attention to, but as you've said I have

a perfectionist streak :lol: ).

If I could, I would write all my posts in Vim and justify them with par. The blocks of

text you get with that look beautiful, but of course it uses multiple space chars between

some words to get it all aligned, which browsers don't parse as such, so it doesn't translate

into a usable result on the forum. :(

Of course I'm aware of the drawbacks, mainly that in our modern age of responsive web

design this renders any auto-formatting by the forum completely useless once the screen

becomes too narrow. Although my lines should be short enough for that not to be too much

of a problem. It certainly shouldn't be a problem on anything other than a cellphone with

a low-res screen. And yes, I'm also aware that this debate has been raging for decades

(still is, and will probably continue into eternity).

You're the first person to actually ask me about this though. But yeah, I'm a bit OCD

when it comes to text formatting, and I'm proud of that. :D

EDIT:

This is what I would want (edited this post in Vim with the help of par). Isn't it

beautiful? :wub:

2013-09-21--23-50-04--screenshot.png

PS: Yeah, I'm that kind of person :lol:

EDIT 2:

@MG2R: I completely missed that you got BOTW! Congrats man, that is one well deserved

award if I may say so. :)

Thank you! The work shop has been great, and I'm currently waiting for the paintto dry on the fans. Yeah, I suppose a way could be found with enough time. But by now I've masked it offanyway, so it's no longer a real issue. ;) A habit from programming. I tend to stick to the 80 chars per line rule when I code,and I just sort of adapted similar behavior when writing forum posts (yes, I knowI'm most likely not hitting 80 chars here ;)). Aside from pure habit, I prefer readingshorter lines of text (less strain on the eyes as I've read when researching typography).Also, I just think it looks better (yes, seriously, the physical arrangement of textin an internet forum post is something I pay attention to, but as you've said I havea perfectionist streak :lol: ).If I could, I would write all my posts in Vim and justify them with par. The blocks oftext you get with that look beautiful, but of course it uses multiple space chars betweensome words to get it all aligned, which browsers don't parse as such, so it doesn't translateinto a usable result on the forum. :(Of course I'm aware of the drawbacks, mainly that in our modern age of responsive webdesign this renders any auto-formatting by the forum completely useless once the screenbecomes too narrow. Although my lines should be short enough for that not to be too muchof a problem. It certainly shouldn't be a problem on anything other than a cellphone witha low-res screen. And yes, I'm also aware that this debate has been raging for decades(still is, and will probably continue into eternity).You're the first person to actually ask me about this though. But yeah, I'm a bit OCDwhen it comes to text formatting, and I'm proud of that. :DEDIT:This is what I would want (edited this post in Vim with the help of par). Isn't itbeautiful? :wub:2013-09-21--23-50-04--screenshot.pngPS: Yeah, I'm that kind of person :lol:

I'm starting to like you more and more haha. I always pay attention to my sentence spacing and the blocks of text I create, but you just take it to a whole new level... Lol

anyway I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build and the only reason I'm not (yet) following is that otherwise my notifications would be flooded haha. No need to be following anyway as this will be on the first page of build logs for a while :P

Ps I feel so honoured that you liked my build log post :o

Quick system specs: MotherboardAsus P5Q-PRO CPUIntel Q9550 @ 3.7 ghz GPUEVGA Geforce GTX 570 HD superclocked RAM6 gigs of ddr2-800 (ouch) DrivesSeagate 320 GB drive for windows and some apps, Seagate 1000 GB drive for games and documents OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit If you think its bad... it runs crysis 3 (almost) maxed out: youtu.be/dL3PNorbub8

Project [bBB]: This is a clickable link

I'm starting to like you more and more haha. I always pay attention to my sentence spacing and the blocks of text I create, but you just take it to a whole new level... Lol

anyway I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build and the only reason I'm not (yet) following is that otherwise my notifications would be flooded haha. No need to be following anyway as this will be on the first page of build logs for a while :P

Haha, thanks! Hard line breaks do have their downsides, but I've made my choice. ;)

I've actually reached 100 subscribers today, but deducting myself I'm still at 99,

so if one more person subscribes I will have the full 100! :)

Ps I feel so honoured that you liked my build log post :o

Well, what can I say? It was a good post IMO! :D

Can we have a photo of the build as of now? We are hungry!!!

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Can we have a photo of the build as of now? We are hungry!!!

What, a screenshot of some beautifully formatted text was not enough?! :lol:

Ah well... it's not really much of a looker at the moment. Very messy and mostly

disassembled, but since you're asking so nicely:

aw--helios--2013-09-22--01--a-tad-messy.

aw--helios--2013-09-22--02--a-tad-messy.

Still looks great! Glad to see you make progress again

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

What, a screenshot of some beautifully formatted text was not enough?! :lol:

Ah well... it's not really much of a looker at the moment. Very messy and mostly

disassembled, but since you're asking so nicely:

Sexy Image

sexxy image

I AM IN LOVE

Still looks great! Glad to see you make progress again

Thanks mate, it's good to be building again. :)

This is soo epic!

Thanks, one does what one can (and sometimes a bit more :D ).

I AM IN LOVE

Well, OK. If that gets you this excited, I will PM you before putting up

the shots of the finished rig so you can take a few chill pills. Wouldn't want

you to have a seizure from excitement. :lol:

Seriously though, thanks. The awesome support means a lot. :wub:

PS: Also thank you for no longer quoting all images from a post. It's so nice when

people listen to one's requests.

Thanks mate, it's good to be building again. :)

Thanks, one does what one can (and sometimes a bit more :D ).

Well, OK. If that gets you this excited, I will PM you before putting up

the shots of the finished rig so you can take a few chill pills. Wouldn't want

you to have a seizure from excitement. :lol:

Seriously though, thanks. The awesome support means a lot. :wub:

PS: Also thank you for no longer quoting all images from a post. It's so nice when

people listen to one's requests.

I only had 5 seziures as of now!!!!

that would be nice though!!!

PS: Yeah, I'm that kind of person :lol:

We should have a beer some time ;)

I'm not a big fan of the whole par-business, though. I can't stand double spaces! But vim support on this forum would be a nice addition. Aslo, Courier as standard font would be just lovely :D

EDIT 2:

I completely missed that you got BOTW! Congrats man, that is one well deserved

award if I may say so. :)

Thanks! If you read through the latest comments, you'll see I was quite surprised about getting it. It was kind of weird seeing my build mentioned on the WAN show :P

We should have a beer some time ;)

Sounds good! :D

I'm not a big fan of the whole par-business, though. I can't stand double spaces! But vim support on this forum would be a nice addition. Aslo, Courier as standard font would be just lovely :D

Growing up I usually used justified text whenever I could, so I've kind of gotten

used to the irregular word spacing. It would be nice of course to have different

sorts of spaces (i.e. spaces chars of different lengths). That would allow you to

have only semantically correct word breaks instead of double spaces (which is, to

be pedantic, not actually correct, there should be only one, and exactly one character

between words or a punctuation mark and the following word).

But I don't think that's a very realistic expectation for pure text documents (which

are mainly what I use, since I mostly use LaTeX for typesetting, which boils down

to using Vim for me as well).

My personal bottom line regarding par is: It's not perfect, but its advantages are

more important to me than its downsides. And I have to admit: When looking at a

lengthy LaTeX document in its source, I really like how it looks all justified

and neat, multiple spaces be damned. :wub:

Also: +1 for the Vim addition. Although maybe there are browser extensions which

allow you to edit text in textboxes like you're in Vim? I'll have to take a look

at that (I already use some Vi-style extensions for my browsers, almost eliminates

the need for a mouse, which makes things go a lot more smoothly).

And Courier? That would be lovely indeed. Or any decent monospace font for that

matter.

God, if anyone ever questions my nerdness or geekdom I will point them to this

discussion. :lol:

Thanks! If you read through the latest comments, you'll see I was quite surprised about getting it. It was kind of weird seeing my build mentioned on the WAN show :P

Haha, yeah I saw that. Talk about a nice surprise! :D