HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

Thanks, IKR?! When I first heard they were going to name it SR-X I almost facepalmed. I

mean, that's what the bloody Mk designations were invented for! You could use an established

(and, let's be honest, pretty much legendary) product name for a very long time. Anyone

even remotely interested in computers would listen up as soon as the SR-2 moniker is

mentioned.

If you don't like the Mk. thing, you could either use the year of its market introduction

(sort of like car manufacturers do: Porsche 911 model 2006) or maybe the platform (SR-2,

socket 2011) or a myriad of other nice alternatives.

Then again, seeing as the SR-X will probably be the last of these kinds of boards from

EVGA for a while (and a rather disappointing one at that, for many, many reasons) it

likely doesn't matter all that much. The SR-2 was pretty unique, coming exactly at

the right time with exactly the right feature set, sort of like the Asus PC-DL back

in 2003. I think it will be quite a few years before we see anything make this much

of a ruckus in the enthusiast community again.

On another note: I have clearly been thinking way too much about this... :lol:

Yeah, it's definately sad to see EVGA move away from the motherboard market so much. The SR-2 is a truely amazing motherboard. If either EVGA or Asus could come out with a new duel-socket board, hopefully with X99, it'd be amazing!

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

try and make the tubing as straight as possible and use a whole bunch of right angle fittings its an idea but its entirely up to you

Yes that's precisely the plan. I'm currently trying to figure out how to attach

the copper tubing to the blocks and the fittings. Since it's 15 mm OD I can't

just use push fittings, and I really don't want to use normal plumbing fittings

(this isn't an industrial themed build, after all), so a bit of improvisation is

required.

:wub:

:wub: right back at ya...

Yeah, it's definately sad to see EVGA move away from the motherboard market so much. The SR-2 is a truely amazing motherboard. If either EVGA or Asus could come out with a new duel-socket board, hopefully with X99, it'd be amazing!

I would be really interested to find out why their entire M/B team suddenly up and

left in 2010. I think it's extremely likely that the mediocre M/B designs we've seen

from EVGA since are due to the new team not yet working as well as the old one (I've

seen how the know-how of a few crucial employees can be absolutely vital for a company,

and if you replace them you will feel it for quite a while until the replacements have

caught up).

As for successor boards, I do think Asus' Z9PE-D8 is pretty close to the SR-2. AFAIK

the possibility for overclocking is actually there from the M/B side of things, but the

platform change by Intel sort of killed things due to no more support for overclocking.

I'm kind of skeptical that the server and WS chipset for X99 will change things much,

but we'll see.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yes that's precisely the plan. I'm currently trying to figure out how to attach

the copper tubing to the blocks and the fittings. Since it's 15 mm OD I can't

just use push fittings, and I really don't want to use normal plumbing fittings

(this isn't an industrial themed build, after all), so a bit of improvisation is

required.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280153/pipe-bending-101

http://www.aquatuning.fr/index.php/cat/c785_Plugin-nickel-noir.html

http://www.aquatuning.fr/index.php/cat/c451_Plugin-nickel-silver.html

Unfortunately you don't have much choice for the fittings. I would also advice you to bend the tubing instead of what someone else said with the 90° Adapters fittings, you won't have that much restriction, compared to method with 90° adapters. Plus it will save you some money and look better (imho). Bitspower are overpriced, and are overused (if you want something that come out a bit of every hard pipe build).

%%@%@$#^#%%$^!!!!!!

again!

no update :(

Really, really sorry!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280153/pipe-bending-101

http://www.aquatuning.fr/index.php/cat/c785_Plugin-nickel-noir.html

http://www.aquatuning.fr/index.php/cat/c451_Plugin-nickel-silver.html

Unfortunately you don't have much choice for the fittings. I would also advice you to bend the tubing instead of what someone else said with the 90° Adapters fittings, you won't have that much restriction, compared to method with 90° adapters. Plus it will save you some money and look better (imho). Bitspower are overpriced, and are overused (if you want something that come out a bit of every hard pipe build).

As our professors used to say: Engineering (yes, I know that's a bit of a strong

word in this case, but it's not that far fetched IMO) is a balancing act and

there's rarely the one perfect solution. Each approach has its advantages and its

drawbacks.

The problem with bending is that I can't get the radius tight enough; the pipes

will rupture on the outer side of the bend and crumple on the inner side of the

bend (I have tried) if I make it tight enough to fit. 15 mm OD pipe needs rather

big radii.

It would have been awesome to make it with bends, but the blocks are just too

close to each other for that to be feasible. So I will sacrifice some flow, but

since I have two D5s I think I'll still be fine, and if I really do encounter a

temperature problem I can always add more pump power (yes I'm aware the more pumps

will also dump some more heat into the loop, but those 30~60 W can easily be taken

care of by my ridiculous amount of radiator surface).

Also: Since I'm using 15 mm OD pipes instead of 10 mm (the option for push fittings)

I will gain back some flow due to the higher ID of the pipes (probably not enough

to make it completely equal, but some).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

As our professors used to say: Engineering (yes, I know that's a bit of a strong

word in this case, but it's not that far fetched IMO) is a balancing act and

there's rarely the one perfect solution. Each approach has its advantages and its

drawbacks.

The problem with bending is that I can't get the radius tight enough; the pipes

will rupture on the outer side of the bend and crumple on the inner side of the

bend (I have tried) if I make it tight enough to fit. 15 mm OD pipe needs rather

big radii.

It would have been awesome to make it with bends, but the blocks are just too

close to each other for that to be feasible. So I will sacrifice some flow, but

since I have two D5s I think I'll still be fine, and if I really do encounter a

temperature problem I can always add more pump power (yes I'm aware the more pumps

will also dump some more heat into the loop, but those 30~60 W can easily be taken

care of by my ridiculous amount of radiator surface).

Also: Since I'm using 15 mm OD pipes instead of 10 mm (the option for push fittings)

I will gain back some flow due to the higher ID of the pipes (probably not enough

to make it completely equal, but some).

Why the hell you bought 15mm OD and not 10/12 pipes like everyone else !

I'm sad now :( I'm bored to see 90° adapter build.. :(

Why the hell you bought 15mm OD and not 10/12 pipes like everyone else !

I'm sad now :( I'm bored to see 90° adapter build.. :(

Very sorry to disappoint you my friend. Tastes differ. Do you want a cookie? :lol:

Seriously though:

• Because I like to make things more difficult than they need to be (I really,

really do). Otherwise I get bored.

• Because everyone else is already doing that. I like trying out new things.
  • Because I like the look of 15 mm OD pipe better than 10 mm OD (push fittings)

or 12 mm OD (Bitspower) in such a huge case (I know, I know, it's not the size

that matters blablbla :lol: ).

• Because if I can get it to work it will look really nice with the

fittings (again, matter of taste of course, but my taste is what makes the

decisions here :D ). They have very similar dimensions, which makes it look

very sleek IMO.

Having said that, if I can't get it to work, I will switch to smaller OD pipes.

Or PVC, not sure yet. We'll see.

@looney: Very sorry that this is not an update either. :(

Very sorry to disappoint you my friend. Tastes differ. Do you want a cookie? :lol:

Seriously though:

• Because I like to make things more difficult than they need to be (I really,

really do). Otherwise I get bored.

Then bend them ! Hehehe

And I'd like a brownie, cookies are nice, but brownies are better !

Then bend them ! Hehehe

Hehehe, I actually have, and they broke. It might be feasible if I had the

equipment to really heat them up before bending and then keep them at high

temperatures during bending and bend them really slowly. That would allow

the metal to slowly flow until it is properly bent. I would also need to

construct a bending brake compatible with that hole process (any bending

brake you can buy does not have a tight enough bend radius).

But I don't have the money for all that equipment, so 90 degrees it is.

To summarize: I like things difficult, but I can't break the laws of nature

(yet). Maybe for my next build... :lol:

And I'd like a brownie, cookies are nice, but brownies are better !

Sure thing mate, *gives brownie* :D

well, I'm sure you can guess what food I'd like....

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I would love a cookie! You may always send some to Belgium, if you would be so kind :D

Sure thing mate, they're on their way! :D 

well, I'm sure you can guess what food I'd like....

Hm, I would guess it's a bit more in the meat-direction and starts with 'sch'... :lol:

[...img...]

:lol:

Okay, kind of of topic, but I love the look of your home. I would freaking love to have an apartment/house like that.

Also, nice build!

The Arctic Demon:  i7 4770k | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F12s | (2) Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 Crossfire | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Corsair AX 850 | Samsung 840 500 GB | Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White | NZXT Hue 

Peripherals: Logitech G600 gaming mouse | Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire with Cherry MX Green Switches | QNIX QX2710 LED 2560x1440p PLS monitor | Logitech Rumblepad 2

WOW man them cables are turning out AWESOME i love this can not wait to get a good look at the finished product  

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Okay, kind of of topic, but I love the look of your home. I would freaking love to have an apartment/house like that.

Also, nice build!

Haha, thank you! Yes I really like it here, it's very lovely. 

Where is my brownie.

Here you go:

brownie.jpg

Where is my schnitzel.

Right here:

wiener-schnitzel.jpg

WOW man them cables are turning out AWESOME i love this can not wait to get a good look at the finished product

Thank you! :)

Brownie > Schnitzel !

Reported for giving out false information on purpose!

W're going crazy!

We need a build log update!

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<