HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

uummm.. im so sorry sir. i didnt mean that your works is bad. it's fantastic and i like it a lot, that's why i keep seeing your post hehehe.... 

but i was wondering if the cable is black, maybe it will look even better. just my opinion

No worries, I didn't take it as you not liking the build (and even then, that'd be

quite alright, not everyone can like everything after all), just a small suggestion for

improvement, and I agree with that suggestion. All good. :)

Daaaaaaammmmmnnn Alpenwaasser, the copper looks hella good bro. You did a fantastic job on this build :D

Thanks man, I am rather happy with it I will admit. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

No worries, I didn't take it as you not liking the build (and even then, that'd be

quite alright, not everyone can like everything after all), just a small suggestion for

improvement, and I agree with that suggestion. All good. :)

Thanks man, I am rather happy with it I will admit. :D

Seriously sir! This build gives me a lot of inspiration for my next upgrade, yeaa.. It won't be as good as yours but u really gave me a lot of idea.

Seriously!!

When it's started maybe u don't mid of i ask u so many leads sir.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit late. This is amazing, totally worth the wait.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

so just spent the last few hours or so reading through this entire build thread from beginning to end. have to say that this is absolutely amazing. i really wanto do a dual cpu computer but dont have the budget to sink into something like that right now. major kudos to you good sir. amazing thread. now time to go read the ones for apollo and zeus. well here goes another couple hours of my life....haha

so just spent the last few hours or so reading through this entire build thread from beginning to end. have to say that this is absolutely amazing. i really wanto do a dual cpu computer but dont have the budget to sink into something like that right now. major kudos to you good sir. amazing thread. now time to go read the ones for apollo and zeus. well here goes another couple hours of my life....haha

Let me know when you reach @alpenwasser and my completely OT convo about vim :D

EDIT: actually, IIRC, that happened in this build log... or don't I remember correctly?

Let me know when you reach @alpenwasser and my completely OT convo about vim :D

EDIT: actually, IIRC, that happened in this build log... or don't I remember correctly?

if you mean the crazy long convo in the middle of the build log where just you two are talking for a while then yes thats this one. pretty entertaining read honestly.

if you mean the crazy long convo in the middle of the build log where just you two are talking for a while then yes thats this one. pretty entertaining read honestly.

haven't read it in a while now. That stuff was pre-mod times :D

• 4 weeks later...

With all this time and effort like many said before. Astonishing. this is one of those greatest build logs on LTT forum that if someone doesn't see, can't call them self a true member of this community.

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

• 3 weeks later...

Terribly sorry for the delay, I have been rather busy with the school thingy.

Sooooo sleek-looking.  I love the idea of having the tubing over the copper.

Glad you like it, thanks!

Seriously sir! This build gives me a lot of inspiration for my next upgrade, yeaa.. It won't be as good as yours but u really gave me a lot of idea.

Seriously!!

When it's started maybe u don't mid of i ask u so many leads sir.

Regards

Always great to serve as inspiration for others, feel free to ask whatever you need.

I'm a bit late. This is amazing, totally worth the wait.

Evidently, so am I. :D

Oh, that reminds me I still need to do the final tally on costs and such (not for bragging,

more as a cautionary tale how these things can get out of hand). And thanks for the support,

much appreciated.

With all this time and effort like many said before. Astonishing. this is one of those greatest build logs on LTT forum that if someone doesn't see, can't call them self a true member of this community.

Great to see people being so enthusiastic. :D

Nice to see this coming together again!

Yup, so very glad I finally have it up and running in a proper state. And hey, maybe, one

day, far into the future, there might actually still be copper tubing at some point. :D

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU DAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!! can we get some pics of the server?

You mean this one? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/75887-apollo-2-cpu-lga1366-server-inwin-pp689-by-alpenwasser/

or this one? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/12089-zeus-fractal-r4-blueblack-internal-ut60-rad-by-alpenwasser/

Either way, thanks for the compliments.

On a more general note: Machine has been happily chugging away, transcoding my video library to x265

(I'm not running BOINC at the moment because I need to save some money on electricity for the

time being). Those 24 threads come in pretty damn handy for that, although it still takes an

eternity (I reckon I should be done in a few months).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey which Linux distro is on your Mac?

I'm not Alp, but since he can take quite a while to answer this: Arch Linux with the i3 window manager.

Source: he convinced me of running the same setup ;)

Edited by MG2R

Hey which Linux distro is on your Mac?

I'm not Alp, but since he can take quite a while to answer this: Arch Linux with the i3 window manager.

Source: he convinced me of running the same setup ;)

Hey, I'm here! :P

But yes, that would be Arch with i3.

Specifically, I used this tutorial to do it: http://loicpefferkorn.net/2015/01/arch-linux-on-macbook-pro-retina-2014-with-dm-crypt-lvm-and-suspend-to-disk/

Was pretty painless to set up, took me two tries. The Webcam doesn't work (no driver),

nor do the SD card slot or bluetooth (though I have read bluetooth should work in theory),

otherwise things run pretty nicely on the machine I have (15", Intel GPU, not Nvidia).

Battery life is between 5 and 8 hours, depending on workload and display brightness,

with "reasonable" activity and brightness it's about 6 to 7 hours.

This is sick af

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Battery life is between 5 and 8 hours, depending on workload and display brightness,

with "reasonable" activity and brightness it's about 6 to 7 hours.

That's pathetic :D

@BurnerMC before you think of buying a MBP, think twice and buy a Lenovo T450s ;)

• 5 weeks later...

All that is stopping me from putting the pcitures in my desktop folder is the cables..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

All that is stopping me from putting the pcitures in my desktop folder is the cables..

Next time I think I'll use copper bars for power delivery. :D

But I think I'm done with this one for the time being.

Next time I think I'll use copper bars for power delivery. :DBut I think I'm done with this one for the time being.

bare copper wiring. Seems safe.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

bare copper wiring. Seems safe.

Well it's only 12 V and downwards. That's, like, baby volts. :D

Plus, applying a few layers of clear coat would alleviate any immediate issues due to stuff touching etc. I've seen one or two builds with similar things (though I think it was plasti-dip in at least one case). Not sure yet if I'd use wires or rods or solid bars and fan out to the pins. Ah well, all in good time.

Well it's only 12 V and downwards. That's, like, baby volts. :DPlus, applying a few layers of clear coat would alleviate any immediate issues due to stuff touching etc. I've seen one or two builds with similar things (though I think it was plasti-dip in at least one case). Not sure yet if I'd use wires or rods or solid bars and fan out to the pins. Ah well, all in good time.

I need to see that..

I need to see that..

Sorry for the delay. Having exams at the moment, and took me a while to find the builds again since I could neither remember the builder's nor the builds' names.

Anyway, see here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/31598-zdmods-project-180/page-5#entry1282210

And here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29184-zdmods-project-inverted-finished/page-3#entry386001

In any case, it'll be a few years yet before I get building on my next project (or even modify this one, probably). Plenty of time to think of things to do and all that.

Sorry for the delay. Having exams at the moment, and took me a while to find the builds again since I could neither remember the builder's nor the builds' names.

Anyway, see here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/31598-zdmods-project-180/page-5#entry1282210

And here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29184-zdmods-project-inverted-finished/page-3#entry386001

In any case, it'll be a few years yet before I get building on my next project (or even modify this one, probably). Plenty of time to think of things to do and all that.

But the rods arent exposed like you were saying

But the rods arent exposed like you were saying

Apparently not, though it doesn't really matter. Basically, two (primary) concerns need to be addressed:

1.) Electrical breakdown: Assuming I would want to be a funny guy and not even put a clear coat over the wires, the only insulation between wires of differing voltages would be air. It seems the minimum breakdown voltage in air is 327 Volts at a distance of 7.5 micrometers and increases as distance grows (wikipedia). Since I will only run about 4% of that voltage and the distance between my wires would be many times higher, I'm thinking this should be fine.

2.) Something else touching a rod: Everything is fixed in place, so unless I'm stupid enough to actually mount things so that they have physical contact with a wire, this is easily avoidable. And if I do turn out to be stupid enough, well, then I really don't deserve any better than having something blow up. I'll notify you so that you can laugh at my silly ass. :D

In any case, I would intend to clear coat the rods, and as long as that coat is of decent quality, this should be a solvable problem. Besides, what's the fun in modding when you don't take a few risks every now and then? And this is a long way off yet, and plans might change anyway until then. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

After not having checked the forum in a long time and i come back to this.

Again Alpenwasser, Good job! Amazing build :D

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

After not having checked the forum in a long time and i come back to this.

Again Alpenwasser, Good job! Amazing build :D

Hey man, nice to see you again! And thanks, much appreciated! Might not have turned out precisely how planned and I still have some niggles with it (the cable color, as I mentioned elsewhere I think), but hey, I'm still pretty damn happy with it. Plus, I can finally actually use it these days. :D

Question is... what to do next? :ph34r: